BlackJack Series

The Two BlackJack Releases

Try my new Doom2 wads titled BlackJack its one of my shoot em all to beat and will be working on a third BlackJack soon when I get better from my sickness that is a pain in my ass also gimme tips cause I'm still a newbie sometimes also have a kickass time with these wads I made!!!

use GZDoom to play this 

no rules just control on however you want to control

Theres only map01 thats been edited on each wad file

I built mine with Doom BuilderX

Edited by CasenPoint

i dont want to be be rude but these maps are pointless.... map 1 got no exit and player can hit exit on map 2 in under 5 sec

i wonder where you took the inspiration for these maps....there are better maps in 93s than this

alright if its ur first attempt 

maps are limit removing i guess 

fda

MAP01 felt Wolfenstein-ish rather than Doom-ish, now I could say a lot of other things design wise, but I think you should start from here :

- Your map felt big and empty, try to stick to more adapted dimensions. Just give a flow to your map so the player is more hyped to discover your map, this start with making doors, different geometries, teleporters, lift, floor movement.

- Now, the combats, this is not as bad as your level design tbh, but the numerous invulnerability spheres all along are a bit of an overkill if you want my opinion… giving health and armor would be more reasonable, and more adapted to such fights with numerous wave of hitscanners and stuff… 

You should also try to spicy the fights and "trap" the player, with some trigger lines that open doors behind him or to the sides for exemple. Monsters can also teleport, this is another type of ambush, maybe a little bit tricky for a beginner, so just try trap doors for now. 

- Objectively, we can say your texturing is ugly, some pillars also use very specific textures that are usually used to be switches (the marble skull one). Exceptions exist, and it is possible to do cool stuff with an unconventional use of texture, but here they were really out of place, indeed I was expecting them to be actual switches. Also, you will need to properly align your textures for best aesthetic, you can find shortcuts on the editor you are using that do it all by itself :

image.png.9c80621f51830529ddffcaa1c7fa19e2.png

- Another last tips for aesthetic work, is the use of brightness and light effect. It's very simple to put and adds more salt very easily, if I may say so…

- Finally, a map should ALWAYS have an exit, no matter the type of your map, even some deathmatch maps have an exit, this is to tell you...

I hope this will help you, and don't despair, Doom's mapping is really fast to learn, one good month of practice can be well enough to learn more of 3/4 of the fundamentals, speaking of classic Doom I/Doom II format of cours.

Edited by Bri0che

a response to one of these replies thank you all for your honesty. I'll do whatever it is I can to do better with building one of these maps I'll do whatever I can to improve and make my maps more satisfying.