[Release] Outpost 13

This is an excellent map. There are tons of details to give each location its own identity. The garage, the clinic, the barracks, etc... I enjoyed exploring further to see what's next inside the outpost. Feels more like a Half-Life map than Doom map. Lighting is also very good. I can see the light and shadows you applied to the pool table and the vending machine to create the moody atmosphere; again it makes it feel more Half-Life than Doom.

Level layout and elevation differences are good. The map felt sufficiently complex without being confusing. I enjoyed traveling through old areas to see new areas. The map didn't feel "flat" like a lot of new maps tend to.

Can't really evaluate the combat because that's not a thing I am good at and I completed on HMP with a couple of deaths.

Excellent map. Completed on HMP without deaths, will go back and play UV next. Very nice interactive Doomcute, some very clever secrets, and combat that isn't too difficult but also isn't trivial. Atmosphere was great, the music was a perfect fit for the aesthetic, etc.

I've shared some recs on the decino discord, but another thing I'd add:

Spoiler

I'd suggest you make the linedefs where the lamp is on the pool table blocking, especially since the player would be banging their head against them and they obscure vision at that height anyway.

I can't overstate how enjoyable the experience was. I still need to find all the secrets.

Forgot one thing:

You can set a linedef to block monsters from crossing them. This can be useful to prevent monsters from climbing on top of couches and tables when they shouldn't, and also prevent their corpses from sliding up and on top of tables and stuff.

Great additions and tweaks since the betatest, congrats on making it to release! It's still a joy taking a stroll through the base just to to admire the fine texturing and doomcute visuals on display.

3 hours ago, brullov said:

Hello guys, I'm excited to release my first single-player map for Doom 2! The Outpost 13 is a huge reference to The Thing, the 1982 John Carpenter movie. Boom compatible. Tested with GZDoom, PRBoom, and DSDA. Difficulties are supported, but UV brings the true experience. Approximately 15 minutes of gameplay.

image.png.62ff85d85fc9f016ccbdac814ef295c5.pngimage.png.b002cca94c77c918ecfd908a342a8b9a.pngimage.png.96490174f37907041f60d246260d5df7.png

It's also my debut as a music composer. Please turn up the music for the best immersive experience.

Special thanks to Helm and quakis for their support, playtesting and feedback. It would not be that easy and fun without you, pals.

I've recently created a Discord server if you'd like to keep track of my Doom stuff. Or you can follow me on Twitter.

P.S. I am aware of the outside windows' visual glitch. Unfortunately, I was not able to fix that.

Download v

OP13.zip

grungo played with vanilla, short but fun with lots of doomcute, reminded grungo of blood deathwish, Grungo love it! Grungo hope to see more levels

This was really good! By visual and the atmosphere, you nailed it excellently, with the map feeling more like a horror map, with lots of Doomcutes that I adore every single one (with honorable mention to the Icon of Sin part). The map itself is fun, although the combat feels a little too cramped for my liking, especially the part with the hell knights. But overall, this was really good for first time mapper, I like to see what you cooking up next.

Edited by lokbustam257

On 11/14/2023 at 7:21 PM, Maribo said:

Heh, Carpenter's The Thing is actually my favorite horror movie and I've thought before about trying to do a recreation of the Antarctic base in Doom, just to have that space as a thing you can walk around in. Maybe some day.

^ Seeing this thread immediately reminded me of making this post, ha.

I love this map, it is a true love letter to The Thing and it shows everywhere with all of the references and literal spaces that existed in the film itself. That tunnel fog at the very end is a cool effect. The doomcute toilet paper rolls were noticed and appreciated.

op13-maribo.zip - a casual UV -dsdademo playthrough, plays back on v0.27.5 of DSDA-Doom.

Hell yes! This was great! Maribo messaged me about this and I legit got out of bed and turned my computer back on to play this. I love The Thing. Jesus the doom cute was lovely. I must have stared at the tape player and headphones for like 5 minutes lol. After I maxed it,  I just wandered the map in nomo and it was so surreal. I found myself just hanging out in areas and vibing. Thank you for making this! I enjoyed myself greatly. 

This map creates and atmosphere that I just LOVE.  And you absolutely nailed the soundtrack.  I would almost wager that you started work on the soundtrack before starting the map?  Either way, the experience here is fantastic.  I also got to learn im absolutely doo doo at sector lighting. yours is so good

Incredible map! When I saw some development screens I just knew I had to try it when it's out. I'm not familiar with the movie so I can't say anything whatsoever about that, but I don't need to be; the grim coldness conveyed here was enough. Such an immersion in this map. All with stock-textures -- can't go wrong with that in my eyes. I didn't find all secrets, which were plentiful and many of them nicely tied to objects of some kind. The doomcute was quality and inventive throughout. I especially liked the fires in the beginning of the map, the ash tray with the cigarettes, the sinks filling with sludge, and much more... A moody, intriguing map, recommended to everyone!

Thank you all for your kind words. It's a great honor!

10 hours ago, bofu said:

Hide contents

I'd suggest you make the linedefs where the lamp is on the pool table blocking, especially since the player would be banging their head against them and they obscure vision at that height anyway.

Good point! I will fix the lamp in the living room for better player movement.

10 hours ago, RDETalus said:

Forgot one thing:

You can set a linedef to block monsters from crossing them. This can be useful to prevent monsters from climbing on top of couches and tables when they shouldn't, and also prevent their corpses from sliding up and on top of tables and stuff.

There are a lot of blocking linedefs in the level. Although quakis recently found a new spot where they are lacking.

9 hours ago, bubz1694 said:

This really captured the feel of the movie.  You must have watched it dozens of times to get the setting just right.  

You won't believe me if I tell you how much time I spent watching it the last month.

9 hours ago, Grungo said:

grungo played with vanilla, short but fun with lots of doomcute, reminded grungo of blood deathwish, Grungo love it! Grungo hope to see more levels

Grungo played the right way! I'm not against mods, people should play how they want. But I appreciate that you did it the way I designed it. I'm also a big fan of the Death Wish.

8 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

The map itself is fun, although the combat feels a little too cramped for my liking, especially the part with the hell knights. But overall, this was really good for first time mapper, I like to see what you cooking up next.

I had to mention it in the post that the map brings a lot of claustrophobic fights.

7 hours ago, shroomzy5000 said:

I would almost wager that you started work on the soundtrack before starting the map? 

I started working on the music at the beginning of the level. However, I had no experience in composing music, so I put it off and did it after I finished the map. I had a few different versions of the melody and tempo, but I chose the one you hear when you play the map.

Very happy to be seeing all this great response for a first time mapper. Brullov put a lot of love in this and it's second-hand gratifying to see it celebrated. 

excellent map....great lighting,adds to atmosphere without hurting eyes....top notch details 

my prboom fda uv skill cant kill all monsters as exit area don't allow to go back....

popi9.zip

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

This map looks awesome! I love the creepy vibe of it... Is this map uses stock assets only?

Yes, only vanilla assets.

This is a very cool map.  The attention to detail is top notch.  The atmosphere is on the creepy side, which fits perfectly with the movie.  I don't know why but I especially liked the little kennels area, which was one of the more memorable parts of the film for me.  Great job on this one!

This map has inspired use of the vanilla textures!! The vehicles, computers, lights, they are simple and striking and cute. The level of detail isn't obstructive even though I dont typically enjoy tight indoor maps. but the monster use was reserved and didnt make me frustrated. I appreciate the level of detail very much because it gestures in the right way to communicate a great horror atmosphere without doing too much

13 hours ago, brullov said:

You won't believe me if I tell you how much time I spent watching it the last month.

I just thought of this. You should add a Wolfenstein dog as a secret Easter egg.

Creative use of Doom content is impressive. Even after years and years of community shooting out new levels and megawads like a chaingun there are things that look visually fresh. And I like the way layout is done: many secrets and the way everything is connected gives many possible approaches to battles, including ability to avoid big ones altogether.

Such a fun map. I really enjoy maps like this that lean a bit more into Doom's horror vibes rather than focusing entirely on big combat setpieces. The attention to detail is incredible for a first Doom map, and one that was apparently made in 1 month, your other game dev experience shows strongly here. Great spooky map to explore, I loved every minute of it, I can already tell this is going to be one of my favorite maps of the next year.

I liked the map. So much cool details! Got so much damage when just staring at them, heh. And nice the details just weren't details but you could also interact with them.  Always wanted to see whats next.

Thank you all for the warm feedback and playthrough. I am very happy that you enjoyed my work. It's time to retreat into the shadows and focus on my next, bigger project. See you later and have a happy new year!

Okay, if this is your first map, then imma nominate you for newcomer and map both. Excellent map, reminds me of the similarly inspired one from Death Wish for Blood.