[DOOM 64] Beta 64 Remastered RC V1.0 Now Available !

hello to all of you, I present to you one of my conversions that I made for DOOM 64, I ported, remastered, improved, bug fixed on all maps, added new content, restore unfinished content, on the megawad Beta64 original on the port Remastered !

Upj7REX.png

What is Beta64 ?

Beta 64 is a 32-map megawad for Doom 64 created by Antnee. One of the first publicly released megawads for the game, Beta 64 actually began its development cycle a year after the release of Doom 64 in 1997, in the form of a series of map notes drawn on paper by Antnee, in the hope of turning it into a full fledged megawad as soon as proper tools would become available. Many of these notes and drawings would ultimately make it to the final product. The project was planned to be released for the Doom 64 TC for the Doomsday Engine in 2008, but that plan fell through until the project was picked up again for the Doom64 EX source port in 2015, ultimately being released to the public on October 19, 2018. 

the topic of Beta64 original

What's in the Beta64 remastered version ?

As you may know, the original Beta64 was abandoned on the original EX port for too long, and it is incompatible with the remastered port, plus all maps of Beta64  contain tons of bugs that didn't been fixed by Antnee, and the Beta64 contains unfinished content, like the Beta64 hub which was never finished in the original, more the Beta 64 scenario was bugged because the clusters were programmed out of order or it was the same cluster, the same text that played throughout the campaign, and that's why I decided of do a conversion and remastered the Beta64 and enhanced, to make it compatible with the remastered port, and also to make it better than the original, here is the list of changes in the Remastered version.

- fixed all bugs on all maps of Beta64. 

- the main campaign of Beta64 has been expanded with a new additional map called "The Dungeons" this map comes from Community Chest 64, this map was created by Antnee and I find that this map goes very well with Beta64, so now the main campaign and expanded by 28 maps instead of 27 maps.

- content that was not finished on the original has been restored and finished by me.

- some maps have small changes and improvements.

- all secrets of all maps of Beta64 have been reworked because some maps had secret issues or you can't have 100% secret.

- the Beta64 scenario was reworked by @Immorpher

- sector color or gradient color reworked on certain sectors on certain maps.

Download Beta 64 Remastered here !

https://www.moddb.com/mods/beta-64-remastered/downloads/beta-64-remastered-release-candidate-v10

Download Beta 64 Remastered version N64  here !

it is not yet available at the moment it is under development by @Immorpher

A big thank you to @Jetx_121 for having made this super trailer for Beta 64 Remastered !

some screenshots:

Spoiler

HqhDS7O.jpg

kqlOQOM.jpg

qt8f1aL.jpg

cU8vJVw.jpg

h3Mv2WK.jpg

7mPcr5A.jpg

9IYNZu9.jpg

SOnYSuV.jpg

ClD5PeT.jpg

2emhivG.jpg

qvfdQdR.jpg

CvOiHxY.jpg

EWhowuc.jpg

x1e8XZt.jpg

tQSRxIB.jpg

b2KNopD.jpg

6XM4tLV.jpg

VtQtbkC.jpg

Map List:

Spoiler

Campaign Beta64

MAP01: Penumbra

MAP02: Hydroplant

MAP03: Signal Processing

MAP04: Disposal Center

MAP05: Refinery

MAP06: Gamma Lab

MAP07: Sector R

MAP08: Ultima Porta

MAP09: Profane Paradise

MAP10: Pain Warren

MAP11: City of the Damned

MAP12: Mines

MAP13: Lair of the Blind

MAP14The Dungeons

MAP15: Abhorred Sanctuary

MAP16: Fortress of Abaddon

MAP17: Simplicity

MAP18: Inferni Carceris

MAP19: Umbra

MAP20: Unearthly Spire

MAP21: Putrid Cloister

MAP22: Tartarus

MAP23: Court of the Crimson

MAP24: Nowhere to Hide

MAP25: The Nest (final boss map)

MAP30: The Beyond (secret level)

MAP31: Irradiated (secret level)

MAP32: Dark Secrets (secret level)

Campaign Altars Of Tech

MAP26: Hubris (bonus level)

MAP27: Folly (bonus level)

MAP28: Regret (bonus level)

MAP29: Rage (bonus level)

MAP34: Sorrow (Beta64 HUB)

Changelog:

Spoiler

Release Candidate V1.0

Spoiler
  • first release

Release Candidate V1.1

• Soon

///// CREDITS \\\\\

Antnee for Beta64

Immorpher to rework the scenario of Beta64

jgs1989 for helping me a lot with playtesting, I thank him very much

DanieruPD64 for helping me with playtesting

steppskie for helping me with playtesting

jetx_121 for helping me fix the blind monsters bug on the MAP08 Ultima Porta

richardjohansson for making the new logo for Beta64 Remastered

Edited by styd051

It is quite funny to me that a finished, properly polished product goes by the name of Beta. XD

Anyway, looking forward to it!

I'm so looking forward to this. Beta64 might be my favorite megawad or at very least in the running for my personal top five. Some additional things and fixes will be greatly appreciated. Fingers crossed that the original author might one day create the actual MAP29 that was just a placeholder in the original release.

19 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

It is quite funny to me that a finished, properly polished product goes by the name of Beta. XD

Anyway, looking forward to it!

It's moreso Doom 64 the Way Midway Did.

oh I just realized that I posted my topic in the wrong category I wanted to post my topic in the WAD Releases & Development category I made a mistake I'm stupid hahaha it would be possible if a moderator moves my topic ? XD (afterward if it's not possible it doesn't matter ^^)

Edited by styd051

here are some screenshots of certain maps in Beta64 Remastered

HqhDS7O.jpg

qt8f1aL.jpg

cU8vJVw.jpg

h3Mv2WK.jpg

7mPcr5A.jpg

9IYNZu9.jpg

SOnYSuV.jpg

ClD5PeT.jpg

2emhivG.jpg

kqlOQOM.jpg

I will update the main topic with it's screenshots

Edited by styd051

Get ready for the first version of Beta 64 Remastered which will be released on December 31 to celebrate the new year for the DOOM 64 community <3

a few more screenshots for a taste !

Spoiler

qvfdQdR.jpg

CvOiHxY.jpg

EWhowuc.jpg

x1e8XZt.jpg

tQSRxIB.jpg

b2KNopD.jpg

6XM4tLV.jpg

VtQtbkC.jpg

30 minutes ago, bobbie424242 said:

Will it be compatible with Doom64 EX+ ?

all maps are compatible with EX+ / Super EX+ but the port will crash because of the intermission image because image and incompatible with EX+ / Super EX+

13 hours ago, june gloom said:

So in other words no it's not compatible with EX+/Super.

@styd051 is the foremost expert on Super EX+, so he might be able to sort that out too. There's a little trick with MOUNTC that we'll have to avoid, but we can do that by renaming some mountains.

Would be nice if not too much work to have it run on EX+/Super EX+ as being OpenGL it runs better on modest hardware (plus other niceties like stats).

And especially on Linux, EX+ has no frame pacing / mouse lag problems like the official version may have under Steam.

Edited by bobbie424242

A Nightmare Cyberdemon?!? :o

Also, a little nitpick: I could be wrong, but I think it should be "Stay Faithful" rather than "Stay Loyal".

Posted (edited)

I also announce that @Immorpher is also working on a conversion of Beta64 Remastered for the N64 and it's going pretty well !

Edited by styd051

9 hours ago, styd051 said:

I also announce that @Immorpher is also working on a conversion of Beta64 Remastered for the N64 and it's going pretty well !

We're getting close! :D

If you are very partial to the original vibe of Doom 64 I cannot recommend Beta 64 enough.  It could perfectly fit as the official Doom 64 sequel.  If you are new to Doom 64 this is also a fantastic wad to play through as well as it is not completely over the top like some of the stuff you see in Ethereal Breakdown or Doom 64 reloaded (Those wads have some very challenging maps that might seem a little too tough for new doom players).  Of course you can play on lower difficulties as well.  If nothing else you should play this wad for all of the outstanding work @styd051 did converting it to the Remaster and fixing all of the bugs/issues the original Beta 64 had.

3 minutes ago, jgs1989 said:

If you are very partial to the original vibe of Doom 64 I cannot recommend Beta 64 enough.  It could perfectly fit as the official Doom 64 sequel.  If you are new to Doom 64 this is also a fantastic wad to play through as well as it is not completely over the top like some of the stuff you see in Ethereal Breakdown or Doom 64 reloaded (Those wads have some very challenging maps that might seem a little too tough for new doom players).  Of course you can play on lower difficulties as well.  If nothing else you should play this wad for all of the outstanding work @styd051 did converting it to the Remaster and fixing all of the bugs/issues the original Beta 64 had.

a big thank you to you, you helped me a lot with the tests you did, you found a lot of bugs that I had missed during my tests and all the bugs you found I have fixed them all now !

On 1/1/2024 at 10:36 PM, jgs1989 said:

Another thing for first time players: Make sure to find the secret exit in MAP12 that takes you to the secret MAP31. Don't spoil yourself on what awaits you there and go in blind, it'll be worth it.

I am happy to tell you in the next update RC V1.1 Beta64 Remastered will be compatible with the port EX+ and Super EX+ !

fQMurZM.png

4 minutes ago, NaliSeed said:

Any plans for making it run under Doom 64 CE? 

probably no it's not on my to do list and it seems to me that Beta64 and already on CE

1 hour ago, styd051 said:

probably no it's not on my to do list and it seems to me that Beta64 and already on CE

Yeah, but, I thought this was a remaster, the original B64 has a couple of rough edges. Oh, well. 

Really enjoying this Megawad but I'm stuck on Level 4, with no idea how to get the yellow key.

20240110220210_1.jpg

Edited by bobbie424242

6 hours ago, bobbie424242 said:

Relly enjoying this Megawad but I'm stuck on Level 4, with no idea how to get the yellow key.

20240110220210_1.jpg

wGG5b5r.jpg

you must take the platform that is on the left and use this platform to land on the platform that is in front of you after continuing your way to the three switches, the third switch will make a horde of lost souls appear once you have killed all the lost souls there is a room which is open which contains lost souls and in this room there is a switch which allows you to lower the platform where the yellow key is located