Cacowards 2024 Mentionation Thread

Dynamo

+1 for Chex Quest: The Penultimate Breakfast. We get so few NEW things for Chex Quest, and this wad has serious quality.

+1 for Pirate Doom 2: The theme they were going for was achieved almost perfectly. All the sprite work is great.

+1 for Doom 2 In City Only: A very solid set with a lot of really good maps. For those who like non-linear maps it is great.

11 hours ago, NPC_CO8ALT said:

+1 for Chex Quest: The Penultimate Breakfast. We get so few NEW things for Chex Quest, and this wad has serious quality.

This came out last year.

It was completed in December, so it's an appropriate mentionation for the current award cycle.

Posted (edited)

I would like to nominate Frantik DM 3 by Arrowhead. Great DM layouts, beautiful maps, and smooth game play. The music is really good as well.

Edited by TheGreenZap

+Doom 3: Phobos
With Doom 3:Phobos releasing episode 3. Doom 3 modding has achieved perhaps its magnum opus. The most anticipated Doom 3 mod throughout nearly 20 years of development since late 2005 is finally seemingly complete. Doom 3 modding although it had its fans was never as popular as Quake/halflife modding nonetheless classic Doom modding. I know of no other Doom 3 campaign or tc in development other than this over the past few years. I highly doubt we will ever see a doom 3 mod as good if at all like this ever again. For Doom 3's swansong, it should be considered for a cacoward. or at very least a decent write up.  Because if not this, then what would?

4 hours ago, Terrcraft said:

+Doom 3: Phobos
With Doom 3:Phobos releasing episode 3. Doom 3 modding has achieved perhaps its magnum opus. The most anticipated Doom 3 mod throughout nearly 20 years of development since late 2005 is finally seemingly complete. Doom 3 modding although it had its fans was never as popular as Quake/halflife modding nonetheless classic Doom modding. I know of no other Doom 3 campaign or tc in development other than this over the past few years. I highly doubt we will ever see a doom 3 mod as good if at all like this ever again. For Doom 3's swansong, it should be considered for a cacoward. or at very least a decent write up.  Because if not this, then what would?

Not saying it can't get another mention, but in case you missed it, Doom 3: Phobos did get a writeup in 2019, when it was just the first episode.

2 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Not saying it can't get another mention, but in case you missed it, Doom 3: Phobos did get a writeup in 2019, when it was just the first episode.

I know of this. I still think the full project is worthy of a cacoward

Posted (edited)

+1 For Forsaken Compound, really great episode with a nice mix of hell and techbase

Edited by Foxstiel

Posted (edited)
On jeudi 30 mai 2024 at 11:12 PM, Shepardus said:

It's a new episode, though; so that can certainly count as a separate entry.

Edited by Gez

We wrote a sidebar article about Doom 3 Phobos episode 2. I imagine the third episode will get the same treatment.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

It's a valid contender for Mordeth award IMO.

actually yeah that would work imo

hi! i nominate [hell's bane] by [chris hansen], a boom megawad replacement for [the ultimate doom], as a candidate for the cacowards this year. thank you.

yeah, i haven't even played hell's bane itself (though i've played a bunch of the stuff that's in it) but it feels like it sums up a big chunk of the author's body of work who is for me one of the most interesting persons to ever play around with the original game's style, something to be honored fo'sure!!

Simulacrum by Myolden and Muumi is one of the most interesting WADs I've ever played, somewhere between chunky shovel ware visuals and sunlust difficulty is this map set. and the whiplash from map 04 ruminations on an apocalyptic world, to the doom wonderful grandma's house with a fully kitted out sauna and family portraits is normal in this mapset.

Posted (edited)

+1 Real of Chaos: 25th Anniversary Edition. Great remaster by @Cammy of the original RoC by TMT.

+1 Schorching Earth by @Astro.

+1 Pirate Doom II. The amazing sequel to the famous Pirate Doom TC by @Darch.

Edited by Auron

Posted (edited)

+++ myolden for creator of the year. I nominated him last year and hes probably produced/participated in more this year already than last, and we are only half way through it.

Edited by Insaneprophet

Would a Codeaward for @redruM69 be possible for unearthing the complete SNES DOOM source code from Randy Linden's floppy disks preserved by Jeff Hughes, or at least even just a mention of it on the side column?