Posted (edited)

Hello there! Happy New Years! I've been making this map for about a month now (not straight, just working on it every now and then) and I'm trying to get back into mapping. Planning one releasing a couple of One Off vanilla maps, then making more map packs. Nothing as big as Sanctium Reborn though. Anyhow, this is, obviously, a city map, including a giant arrow and all!

Link : DOWNLOAD

WARNING!

Software Renderers will have HEAVY visual bugs (Missing texture leaks, mid textures clipping through floors ect.) but will not break the game completely (from what I've tested)

Wad Info

-------------------- Tech

IWAD: Doom2

Format: Doom (Doom2)

INCLUDES

Maninfo

Umapinfo

EMapInfo

GameInfo

---------------------- Game

Music: Duke3D Stalker (E1M1)

Tested On: DSDA Doom

Compatlevel tested on: MBF21

image.png.dd809ccfec0972420425f41fc8eea9df.png

Edited by TheGamingFox
(Forgot image)

Very nice little city map. Makes me think of the vanilla Doom 2. It's a relatively easy stroll but the traps do have some bite. Comfy is a word I would use. 

Some things to go over: 

doom00.png.abb316bbd49145aeee12fcf030b859d9.png

You can see the sky bleeding from up on this building.

doom01.png.488446f33f859b987d4e7a1011fdbb08.png

You can stand on this tiny lip the switch is in. A quick, dirty fix would be to make the line into the sector impassable.

doom02.png.ccf5fcecda9c0d38401c7d4252e881e9.png

It's not obvious what this switch does. I had no trouble progressing but I think it's generally good to make switch actions as clear as possible. 

doom03.png.3fd16adb32e7f16ca79dd4e62f65d88f.png

Random missing lower texture. 

Fun map would play more.

Thanks for playing @Super Mighty G! I'm really glad you enjoyed it, and I am planning to helpfully get more maps out soonish!

As for the issues:

36 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

You can see the sky bleeding from up on this building.

I knew that this would be a problem, it's just because of how the sectors are set up. I didn't bother fixing them up since it IS a secret area, which I tend to leave a bit uglier or let you see the cracks of the map, but if it's too distracting, I can figure a fix.

38 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

You can stand on this tiny lip the switch is in. A quick, dirty fix would be to make the line into the sector impassable.

I could've sworn I already made in impassable, but I'll quickly hot fix it!

39 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

It's not obvious what this switch does. I had no trouble progressing but I think it's generally good to make switch actions as clear as possible. 

Ah, I am usually not good with expressing this in my maps, however I think I'll start trying new ways of showing this. Basically, when ever you see the DOORSTOP textures, it's either unopenable or opens somewhere else, using switches with the stop texture. Theres a room in the Red Brick house that shows the red keycard symbol in the back. My intention was to show the player they needed to explore another Red Door to open the bars. Sorry that that wasn't clear!

42 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

Random missing lower texture.

I'll also quickly hot fix this too

Once again, Thanks!!

first great map of year for me....design and fights are really engaging....i tend to lost esily in city maps but not here....

wonderful ideas for progression....i played it in prboom cl9 and faced some HOMs issues otherwise works fine just 2 monsters didnt show up and i cant found yellow key

fda prboom cl9 uv skill iddt used

popi9.zip

Thanks @Zahid ! The 2 monsters not showing up is most likely my fault, I must've not put in more fail safes for the monster spawns. The Yellow Keycard is a secret, though it's a bit hard to find since it's the most valuable secret in the map. As for the HOM issues, which I believe is missing textures, I use a lot of raised sectors with missing textures to give a invisible wall to the outskirts of the map.

Hello @ax34! Sorry, but after trying for about 30 minutes, I couldn't get the save to load on my GZDoom, never had to load a quck save, and all sources I found were either outdated or just didn't work at all. Knowing me however, there is most likely soft locks in the map, sorry for the inconvenience!

Update: i made a video about how i softlocked it:

Spoiler

Spoiler warning: it shows at least one secret!

Edited by ax34

DSDA, compelevel 21, UV

Couldn't find two of the secrets without automap cheats, so I didn't go for them this time. Overall I liked the map, it feels like a city proper from the outside, while inside it gets all wacky. The interiors left me confused a few times with all the teleporting around but then I always ended up back on the city streets so I could get my bearings easily. I feel like the ambushes lose their bite a bit if you can run away from them, or at least aren't forced to engage with them. Most of them didn't lock the door behind me so I always just ran back when I heard the all the monsters screaming from being woken up.

Not sure what these holes were all about, automap showed they don't lead anywhere.

doom03.png.785adedecf9086d0ae99ad4d43c4bce7.png 

c1t13.zip

Thanks for playing @Cocademon ! Glad you enjoyed it over all, but I am sorry about the weird interiors getting back into the swing of things! The holes are supposed to represent the doors that opened in the hall, but I know that it wasn't explained well.

Oh I would've never thought about them showing me that doors have opened. I think you would notice the open doors anyway when returning from that room. I don't have a lot of experience with custom maps, is this something experimental you tried or is it something of an uncommon mapping trope?

Edited by Cocademon