The DWIronman League dies to: Black Rain (CC3 MAP12)

Category 1.

Kills: 158/766 (dead at 14:22)

Means of death / comments:

Spoiler

Either I missed some good secret supply caches (0/9) or this map is very resource-starved. By the time I figured that out, I was probably in too deep and just got worn down through attrition. The chaingunners at the top of the lift behind the security gate opened by the blue key are what finished me off.

This is a style of map that can be fun to (re)play but it is definitely designed to kill you in a blind run. I was only 150 kills in and there were at least 3 fights that you start by dropping down or riding an lift up that you can't ride back down.

Video:

Ironman-BlackRain-hc.zip

Category 1, Dead with 93 kills.

Spoiler

I should have made just one stab at the button and kept moving even on a miss. I stubbornly stayed behind trying to click on it and paid the price.

I went back afterwards with saves to try to push a little farther in. Not a fan of the super-strict health allotment, but the texture palette and lighting were fantastic, almost on par with the later Back To Saturn X stuff like U.S. Mustard Company and Bite. Maybe I'll see if the HNTR settings are less grating, just to get to see the rest of it.

Category: 1

Result: N/A, demo didn't survive. I've got a trip to PC parts market to make :)

I died about 5-6 minutes in,

Spoiler

shortly after the part with a bridge, spectres in slime left, hitscanners perched right and hell noble past the door on the other side of bridge. Trying to skip HK was not a smart idea. Checking corners under pressure doesn't work well.

The board has been updated! Without obituaries, but hey. Something is something.

I apologize for this month, but come the end of it, not only did I catch something akin to a flu, I also had quite a lot of duties at university, including midterms and presentations. February will be even worse in that regard; though I ain't ill no more, I have finals, so my time is extremely limited.

Next month will, due to that, be held by a guest host. Thread should be up within the next 24 hours, I think.

Yes, I know: I am still in debt regarding the writeups for the Top Performers from 2023. I'll do those next month. The (RESERVED) post is dedicated to them. Will link it in the next month's thread when I write them.

Oh, also: you have more than a day left to submit demos if you want! Go for it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oopsie poopsie, did a run and forgot to actually post the results here. Haha, it did not go very well at all. But! I enjoyed the map, great vibes.

Category: 1

Kills: 129/766

Fumbled a weapon swap with a rev in my face. Meant to go for the SSG, accidentally changed to the SG, then the SSG then got punched in the head. Ah well.