Doom II Textures Tier List

I made a dumb thing, please enjoy. This was whipped up quickly based on an arbitrary combination of how useful they are in mapping and how nice they look.

Spoiler

Pbm8MM6.png

Some notes:

- No step textures included because they messed with the formatting (They'd all be C tier anyway)

- Textures in C are not bad! Just average. Only the ones in F I actually dislike.

- No flats because it was already too long.

- Icon of Sin textures are not the worst, they just defy normal ranking.

Spoiler

- I want to go back and change some of these rankings already but I'm committed now, RIP

ROCKREDX in C tier? That's just disrespectful. Don't even try to justify yourself you're banned from the club of Average Rockred Enjoyers.

(btw I think the swastika textures don't even deserve F tier. Get that shit off here noone ever uses these other than Wolfendoom wads.)

Cool idea! Too bad you misclicked and put the glorious ZIMMER in the same category with the dirty bathroom tiles CEMENT in C but that's okay, we all make mistakes. 

Jokes aside, is there some kind of template to make this so I can shitpost right back at you, or would i have to import all the textures one by one somewhere? 

Also, I think it may be worth ignoring switches as well as steps. Not that they're all equal but for clarity's sake. 

STEPTOP deserves the S-tier for me

CFZoqrB.png

Because,

fxedit5.jpg

Edited by Roofi

MODWALL in C and F tier is supremely misguided, as with ZIMMER8 -_-

also sp_rock ???? Entire mapping careers have been made out of that texture!!!!

NOOOO you can't just treat BROWNPIP like this, what has poor BROWNPIP ever do to u

Spoiler

image.png.57ef8b49b5970a2691314ba908c55713.png

if I check this against maps I've released it's gonna look like such fraud stuff, I know I used to use massive amounts of sprock

Edited by yakfak

Wood5 is my homeboy, my guiding light. My sparkling boy, my everything shower, my summer fling.

Edited by Gifty

The two Tekbrons deserve an F--- rank each. Don't you tell me that crap don't look like a bunch of doors.

Edited by WASFDDDDD
Grammar

Putting EXITDOOR, ROCKRED and SP_ROCK1 in C tier, you're out of your mind.

15 hours ago, WASFDDDDD said:

The two Tekbrons deserve an F--- rank each. Don't you tell me that crap don't look like a bunch of doors.

11 hours ago, Astar said:

Not a bad take.

I'm surprised you didn't put TEKBRON in F-tier.

The TEKBRONs are saved from F-tier BECAUSE they look like doors, they can be used that way to spice things up occasionally.

SP_ROCK looks like it should be cool but it's too busy in practice, areas that use it prominently hurt my eyes. ROCKRED is a better version of it to be fair, so it could jump up a tier.

3 minutes ago, Weird Sandwich said:

The TEKBRONs are saved from F-tier BECAUSE they look like doors, they can be used that way to spice things up occasionally

I have nothing against TEKBRON, I just noticed that most often people hate this texture

4 minutes ago, Astar said:

I have nothing against TEKBRON, I just noticed that most often people hate this texture

They're kinda half-baked versions of other textures so I get it.

3 minutes ago, Patrick_Plays_Doom said:

WHY ARE THE GARGS IN A PLACE THEM IN S NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

When they can vomit up blood like their GSTFONT brother I'll consider it!

19 hours ago, WASFDDDDD said:

Okay, I'm putting my foot down.

TEKBRON is a good texture to use for doors you can open remotely. They're not a door texture, people aren't expected to press on them directly but they are sufficiently door-like to work well as doors you open from elsewhere. 

I wouldn't be able to do a tier list, because I like nearly all textures, except the ones that don't fit with the rest like Wolf 3d textures and I guess BIGBRIK textures. The issue is that some textures are highly reusable, while others aren't, but it doesn't make the first better than the second. Though for me personally, crate textures are god-tier, because I just can't resist putting lots of crates on my maps.

Big thanks to @Blast_Brothers for providing a link and making me waste far too much time on this. I excluded all steps (even STEPTOP which would belong to S tier otherwise), and all switches for redundancy, and IOS and Wolf3D. The longer I look at it, the more changes I'd do so here it is.

Spoiler

image.png

And if you care for switches list, it's as follows:

S: Lever, Lever with LED, Large red LED, Skull

A: Small green LED, Big cyber skull, Lion

B: Garoyle, Bearded dude, Fleshy eyeball, Narrow red LED

F: Small red skull

On 1/22/2024 at 10:23 AM, valkiriforce said:

The metal texture set = topest-tierest-everest.

7F2PD9t.png

CsSNEmS.png

Valk: Mordeth, this one is different, this uncompressed version with screw holes and electrical tape is in rare never been seen condition making it highly collectable.

Dragonfly: Never been seen huh? Well then how do you know there's no compression in there?

Valk: (shows proof that it's uncompressed)

Dragonfly: (doesn't think it's uncompressed)

Valk: (finds out that there is compression on the textures) NOOOO!

Everyone else: LAUGHS!