The Abyss of Agony

Well, somehow the 30th anniversary of Doom and the Polish Community Project inspired me to create a new map. New/old because from the depths of the disk I dug out a draft version created in 1996 and based on it I created a visually interesting and playable map.

Warning! The map is difficult at times on UV. I recommend starting with HMP. 

Title: The Abyss of Agony
File name: AbyssofAgonyRC4.wad
Release Date: 21.01.2024

Description: "Short" but intense Boom map with vanilla textures.
Additional credits: music by Karl Casey @ White Bat Audio, Darksynth - Pendulum
Download link:
 https://www.mediafire.com/file/6wq42zy7a6vgab2/AbyssofAgonyRC4.wad/file

================================================== =========================
* What it includes*.

New levels: 1
Sounds: No
Music: Yes
Graphics: No
Dehacked/BEX Patch: No
Demos: No

* Game Information *.

Game: Doom 2
Map:  MAP01 
Single player mode: Designed for
Cooperative 2-4 player: Player only starts
2-4 player deathmatch: No
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Allow jump/crouch: Yes
Infinite height: Not recommended
Complevel: 17

* Construction*.

Base: New from scratch
Build time: One month
Editor used: Ultimate Doom Builder.
Known Bugs: None known
May Not Run With: Vanilla Doom
Tested with: GZDoom, PrBoom+

Screens:

Spojler

592621763_TheAbyssofAgony1.png.74d43d33740f904a5fbbdd5c4dd8594d.png1995121541_TheAbyssofAgony2.png.05075491ae6ed203f273325bc3db0f9f.png1773326914_TheAbyssofAgony3.png.6aaa12d25da1245ad2abb8af3a909bb1.png1487802539_TheAbyssofAgony4.png.58b33ab41ac0b82ca6b3e800fc6d9f5e.png512183687_TheAbyssofAgony5.png.7fff8a7810c8c5dd82e06f15926dc40d.png1440972339_TheAbyssofAgony6.png.52ae434c1eb44d853e937594111209be.png1952790108_TheAbyssofAgony7.png.b8754d36349e114ac8d9a3701911160a.png

Edited by eLeR Creative
update

great map but explorer gets lava damage and 20 is too much otherwise fights and progression is top class so as design 

my failed fda prboom cl9 uv skill will try later

popi9.zip

1 hour ago, Zahid said:

great map but explorer gets lava damage and 20 is too much otherwise fights and progression is top class so as design 

my failed fda prboom cl9 uv skill will try later

popi9.zip

Thanks for the feedback and the demo for analysis (good game). I am wondering what way the rock in the last cave (before death) did not collapse right away....

8 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Does this just not download now? I keep getting told the connection was reset.

The download link is active and working. Try again, and if there are still problems I will add an alternative link.

Interesting map, quite hard on UV. I'm about half way through and really enjoying playing. The first 5 minutes is pretty hard :-)

One of the archies got stuck in the floor as I went in to the yellow key area, using gzdoom.

A map full of content, with cool music that plays a single tune but doesn't get tiresome - just plays in the background and fits well.

In a sense I had a feeling that I played 3 maps here: the first map ends at the blue door, then the second lasts until the final big red cave. The red cave is the 3rd "submap". I liked the 1st part the best, as it was the most interconnected one with the player constantly returning to the central room. I think this was also the most demaning part of the map, especially given that there are many vertical fights and teleporting-in enemies.

In overall: 👍 👍 👍

nugg0018.jpg.f16621d50406aff6177a084b64fad378.jpg

nugg0002.jpg.85ec5b794e17d8a2ad689805296248a0.jpg

nugg0003.jpg.1af2ef5595109ab37c1a20b7ee30c384.jpg

Very great map! A little too heavy on Revenants to my taste and I wasn't quite able to finish it (There needs to be more medkits and a little more ammo) but overall, I really enjoyed my time with it. I encountered a weird bug where an Imp somehow got into thr ground and it looked really bizarre, but I'll show that off in the RPD episode I'm making on this WAD.

Good stuff!

there was a little bit too much single-shotgunning and door-camping at the beginning for me. It seems to get better later but um, yeah. I really liked the design though, like the little revenat restaurant for one:)

On 1/24/2024 at 3:54 PM, Roebloz said:

Very great map! A little too heavy on Revenants to my taste and I wasn't quite able to finish it (There needs to be more medkits and a little more ammo) but overall, I really enjoyed my time with it. I encountered a weird bug where an Imp somehow got into thr ground and it looked really bizarre, but I'll show that off in the RPD episode I'm making on this WAD.

Good stuff!

Thanks for the feedback. I would like to remind you that I implemented lower difficulty levels. On HMP it should be a little easier however the map is still challenging. I'd like to know where exactly the Imp went under the floor, although I know that in other projects I've had similar errors and I don't know what they are caused by. 

16 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

there was a little bit too much single-shotgunning and door-camping at the beginning for me. It seems to get better later but um, yeah. I really liked the design though, like the little revenat restaurant for one:)

Regarding the initial gameplay, I wanted to somehow (other than implementing lots of demons) increase the difficulty. I anticipated that such a model may not appeal to everyone, which is why when playing on HMP the super shotgun appears as early as the third room.
Also, thank you for your opinion. 

On 1/27/2024 at 8:51 PM, RataUnderground said:

"Short". You think you're funny, but I hate you xD

Thank you for this video. Congratulations on passing the map and on your perseverance (GG). I will analyze this video for myself and make the appropriate adjustments. 

Too bad you didn't choose the difficulty HMP. I think then the passage of the map would have been more enjoyable :)

17 minutes ago, eLeR Creative said:

Thank you for this video. Congratulations on passing the map and on your perseverance (GG). I will analyze this video for myself and make the appropriate adjustments. 

Too bad you didn't choose the difficulty HMP. I think then the passage of the map would have been more enjoyable :)

Don't worry, in hindsight I had a good time. The effort you put in this map deserved some perseverance from my part.

Time for a little update.
A list of changes:
- Optimization of difficulty levels,
- Slight modifications to the encounters with demons in the first rooms,
- Reduced lava damage,
- Friendly fall damage
- Cosmetic fixes.
- Several fixes to improve level flow

On 1/25/2024 at 11:48 AM, eLeR Creative said:

Thanks for the feedback. I would like to remind you that I implemented lower difficulty levels. On HMP it should be a little easier however the map is still challenging. I'd like to know where exactly the Imp went under the floor, although I know that in other projects I've had similar errors and I don't know what they are caused by. 

My computer had a bit of a problem and it's broken right now, but as soon as it's back up I'll edit up the video so that you can see. (I WILL be uploading the raw footage this afternoon however since that is luckily stored in my Google Drive, which I'll post here for you to see)

Edited by Roebloz

On 2/5/2024 at 7:58 PM, Roebloz said:

My computer had a bit of a problem and it's broken right now, but as soon as it's back up I'll edit up the video so that you can see. (I WILL be uploading the raw footage this afternoon however since that is luckily stored in my Google Drive, which I'll post here for you to see)

Looking forward to this video. I really enjoy watching someone play my maps. Besides, such materials are very informative for me, which makes me learn to make better and better levels.

Alright, took me a while, but here's the raw unedited footage!!! The actual RPD episode should be coming out later today.

Like I mentioned, I didn't end up finishing it, but I had quite a bit of fun with it.

And here is the episode at last!!! I didn't manage to complete and release it yesterday but hey, only 1 day of lateness on a "Special" is probably a new record for me.

As my raw footage showed, I wasn't able to complete it, but it should still be an enjoyable little video to watch.

On 2/16/2024 at 2:44 AM, Roebloz said:

And here is the episode at last!!! I didn't manage to complete and release it yesterday but hey, only 1 day of lateness on a "Special" is probably a new record for me.

As my raw footage showed, I wasn't able to complete it, but it should still be an enjoyable little video to watch.

Thank you for this video. I will learn from it, which will help me create better level designs in the future. It's just a shame that the final gameplay is so short (I was hoping for more). Nice editing - I appreciate the work you put into it. 

On 2/15/2024 at 5:35 AM, Delisk said:

Thanks for this video. The first one at which I had the opportunity to see how the map performs with modifications.

Now that you've made the draft map available, it's clear how much work went into the final result. As I wrote earlier the map is great. It deserves an honorable mention.

On 2/25/2024 at 8:37 AM, Maskarada said:

Now that you've made the draft map available, it's clear how much work went into the final result. As I wrote earlier the map is great. It deserves an honorable mention.

Thanks for your feedback. I kept having this thought somewhere in the back of my head to finally finish this map. It took a long time but I finally did.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to go through the whole map. It is very substantive. It is clearly divided into several sections. The first is what happens in front of the blue door - pleasant to the eye architecture of the ruined city intertwined with the domain of hell. The second section is the temple of sorts - heavy, challenging battles with demons. The third section is what I'm guessing is the title abyss of agony. Interesting idea with the lowering (seemingly endlessly) of this rock platform. I liked the fact that despite the vastness and verticality of this section there are a lot of interesting architectural forms making it very original. I give this map a solid 8/10

Screenshot_Doom_20240309_215117.png.f78363dec2e622452c86ded295966ff8.png

Screenshot_Doom_20240309_215501.png.08467d7f78d631fb8c3f5bd4f8bb8d61.png

Screenshot_Doom_20240309_215552.png.849c3d2accf1eb04744533492476b3bf.png

Screenshot_Doom_20240309_215651.png.03011f26675e1e39356b53ae4d25145d.png

On 3/9/2024 at 9:57 PM, Maskarada said:

I managed to go through the whole map. It is very substantive. It is clearly divided into several sections. The first is what happens in front of the blue door - pleasant to the eye architecture of the ruined city intertwined with the domain of hell. The second section is the temple of sorts - heavy, challenging battles with demons. The third section is what I'm guessing is the title abyss of agony. Interesting idea with the lowering (seemingly endlessly) of this rock platform. I liked the fact that despite the vastness and verticality of this section there are a lot of interesting architectural forms making it very original. I give this map a solid 8/10

Thank you for this opinion. Glad you liked the map so much.