[RC3] 1K1K - A COMPACT Community Project for Doom 2

Woo!  It was fun mapping for this, I got bogged down In other projects otherwise I would have done another map or 2.   I only played a few of the other maps so looking forward to them all compiled. 

Doing a continuous run and everything is good (maybe other then map 04) but I found this in map 06.

At the end.

It is way too obvious to miss so maybe it is a rendering issue.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 124920.png

It's here! Very awesome!

Hope everyone enjoys the wad, congrats to @Yop and the rest of the team. I'm going to play it ASAP.

Edited by ABearInThaWoods

I have played through more and have a few comments.

Spoiler

If you look behind you at the end of map 07 the sky looks really weird.

In map 12 the plasma gun secret has the red floor in front of it. If that is meant to be the hint then... it is a bad one, it looks like a mistake. I ended up having to go into the editor to find the plasma gun secret. That secret needs more hinting.

Pictures are too big to be posted :/

Thanks for the hard work @Yop and congrats to everyone involved in this. I had a quick run through all maps continously, and there were no major issues. Map 11 gives of some "unknown texture" errors, probably some leftover lumps from previously deleted textures. There's also missing mid textures above the platform in the center. I don't know if it shows in DSDA, haven't had the chance to try it with that port yet:

Spoiler

9MATXyi.png

As for my maps, i'm afraid you've used older versions of them. The latest versions were posted in the development thread when i recorded video playthroughs. Here are the download links:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zahon3gfy91hb5v/CosmicV4.wad/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/a4ejh6umay44rll/ScalesofAnubisV7.wad/file (don't mind that it says V7, it's actually the eitght version)

The title of Map21 should be "Scale of Anubis" instead of "The Scales of Anubis". 

Edited by Tangra

Just now, Tangra said:

Thanks for the hard work @Yop and congrats to everyone involved in this. I had a quick run through all maps continously, and there were no major issues. Map 11 gives of some "unknown texture" errors, probably some leftover lups from previously deleted textures. There's also missing mid textures above the platform in the center. I don't if it shows in DSDA, haven't had the chance to try it with that port yet:

Hide contents

9MATXyi.png

As for my maps, i'm afraid you've used older versions of them. The latest versions were posted in the development thread, when i recorded video playthroughs. Here are the download links:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/a4ejh6umay44rll/ScalesofAnubisV7.wad/file (don't mind that it says V7, it's actually the eitght version)

The title of Map21 should be "Scale of Anubis" instead of "The Scales of Anubis". 

I noticed the missing texture above as well but I thought it was a problem on my end.

21 minutes ago, Tangra said:

Thanks for the hard work @Yop and congrats to everyone involved in this. I had a quick run through all maps continously, and there were no major issues. Map 11 gives of some "unknown texture" errors, probably some leftover lumps from previously deleted textures. There's also missing mid textures above the platform in the center. I don't know if it shows in DSDA, haven't had the chance to try it with that port yet:

Reveal hidden contents

9MATXyi.png

As for my maps, i'm afraid you've used older versions of them. The latest versions were posted in the development thread when i recorded video playthroughs. Here are the download links:

I will fix your maps and take a look at map11.
edit: all should be fixed

Edited by Yop

Map 19 got kind of screwed up :/

The switches don't animate because the pressed switch sprite is not there and one of the black faces was supposed to be different to mark a secret but it got replaced and now the secret has no hints.

Apologies about that. 
I'll see what i can do at a later date, i'm going to sleep now.

It's out!

Pistol started the whole thing on UV in DSDA-Doom 0.25.6 over the course of the afternoon and I have some quibbles:

MAP06: Untagged sectors raising (Raith pointed this out already, it's quite weird, and I'm pretty sure Fletcher's already on it)
MAP07: Secret berserk in sector 163 isn't flagged for UV, linedef 295 is missing a texture
MAP09 (me, all my fault): Floating shells, can grab rocket launcher without triggering linedefs
MAP12: Some floating things, linedef 1063 has slime trail
MAP13: Linedefs 496-498 have bleeding textures
MAP14: Things in sector 2 block access to medikit
MAP15: Secret exit doesn't go to MAP31 (note: some intertext cuts off)

MAP19: Despair is misspelled but that might be intentional
MAP24: Missing r in "Another"
MAP27: Sectors 74 & 75 teleport monsters in before fully lowering, becoming stuck
MAP29: Literally a fully fledged boom map that softlocks in -cl2 but it's so so so good, I think it just needs a warning like 31 and 33

Personal favorites: 05, 06 (I'm biased), 07, 11, 15, 20, 25, 28, 29, 31

Edited by Gothic Box
intertext error

Is there any way I can resubmit map 01 with some changes? Looking back on it I want to change some things.

Congratulations on the hard work everyone! Especially happy to see DW come together and offer help and advice so willingly throughout the process. Thanks for putting this together @Yop

7 hours ago, Gothic Box said:

It's out!

Pistol started the whole thing on UV in DSDA-Doom 0.25.6 over the course of the afternoon and I have some quibbles:

MAP06: Untagged sectors raising (Raith pointed this out already, it's quite weird, and I'm pretty sure Fletcher's already on it)
MAP07: Secret berserk in sector 163 isn't flagged for UV, linedef 295 is missing a texture
MAP09 (me, all my fault): Floating shells, can grab rocket launcher without triggering linedefs
MAP12: Some floating things, linedef 1063 has slime trail
MAP13: Linedefs 496-498 have bleeding textures
MAP14: Things in sector 2 block access to medikit
MAP15: Secret exit doesn't go to MAP31 (note: some intertext cuts off)

MAP19: Despair is misspelled but that might be intentional
MAP24: Missing r in "Another"
MAP27: Sectors 74 & 75 teleport monsters in before fully lowering, becoming stuck
MAP29: Literally a fully fledged boom map that softlocks in -cl2 but it's so so so good, I think it just needs a warning like 31 and 33

Personal favorites: 05, 06 (I'm biased), 07, 11, 15, 20, 25, 28, 29, 31

I will get to work either tonight or at the weekend.

RC3 should then be out in a few days time :)

I just know that the problem occurs when activating line 376.

The construction of the staircase should not be active in these sectors... who knows the alien reason for this.

On 1/25/2024 at 5:51 PM, Raith138 said:

Doing a continuous run and everything is good (maybe other then map 04) but I found this in map 06.

At the end.

It is way too obvious to miss so maybe it is a rendering issue.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 124920.png

15 hours ago, boom_compatible said:

who knows the alien reason for this.

I do, and I thought I had fixed it before I sent the version off lol

Essentially that sector is used to propagate sound throughout the map. It's also joined to another sector where the a step rises to release revenants and archviles (when the stairs rise like you said), it also makes the sectors adjacent rise causing that problem. I flipped a linedef around and it's fixed. I'll send Yop the fixed version later tonight.

Apologies for overlooking that and another thing which luckily I think nobody has caught yet.

Glad to see this wad coming out! Good job and congrats to everyone here.

I played some of this maps before, so i know i'm in for a wild ride.

Hello,

we're going to play your wad for Thursday Night Survival today.
There's going to be a fixwad by boom_compatible loaded on the server that should take care of any relevant issues but if you have an updated version of the wad that would be great to have as well.

The session starts 9 hours from the time of this post and you can expect it to be fairly active for 4+ hours.

I reworked the texturing a little to add some more texture variety and I think it is good now.

The new name is "Infested Storage Facility"

As I am writing this I feel like I am missing something but I can't think of anything.

River of Blood.zip

Slight update on RC3:
I've been pretty busy the last few days leaving me very little time to focus on the update, i've been chipping away at alterations and fixes slowly but surely.
I cannot give a confident release date or release window.
It'll be out when it's out. :)  

Made an account just to say what a great WAD this is.

No map that goes above 50 monsters (so far) as it should be, not a lot of demon spamming (as it should be), clever puzzles that aren't impossible to solve.

In short: all the sins 99% of DOOM mappers today commit are not in this WAD which makes it a great WAD. 8/10 so far and I'm halfway.

Edited by poopoodemon

I will have to ask though: how to proceed in this secret map?

I've been roaming around the tiny box for about 30 minutes now with no progress.

Hint plox!

EDIT: it could be because of textures not loading? See screenshot below the first one.

Screenshot_Doom.png.b54ede9cd22dcc55447f24b888380ef3.png

errors.png.38ce8a501464451be7c854f96e5b2414.png

Edited by poopoodemon
Added map errors screenshot.

4 hours ago, poopoodemon said:

I will have to ask though: how to proceed in this secret map?

I've been roaming around the tiny box for about 30 minutes now with no progress.

Hint plox!

EDIT: it could be because of textures not loading? See screenshot below the first one.

Screenshot_Doom.png.b54ede9cd22dcc55447f24b888380ef3.png

errors.png.38ce8a501464451be7c854f96e5b2414.png

This map uses mikoportal so the source port you use has to support it. Otherwise, different problems will occur (the voodoo doll won't walk... or the barrel won't explode... or things like that)

3 hours ago, boom_compatible said:

This map uses mikoportal so the source port you use has to support it. Otherwise, different problems will occur (the voodoo doll won't walk... or the barrel won't explode... or things like that)

I see. I used GZDoom. Finished the WAD though, loved it.

Spoiler

(besides the buggy extra map)

47 minutes ago, poopoodemon said:

I see. I used GZDoom. Finished the WAD though, loved it.

Hide contents

(besides the buggy extra map)

The extra map was supposed to be like that.

It was meant to be complete nonsense compiled into one map.

Here's a video of me playing this in Walpurgis:

Pretty fun romp through economy class flights gone wild (lol).

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to progress past map 6 (Pepperbox), the Exit lift appears to do nothing. Might be a death exit given the explosions you hear I guess but it seems my voodoo doll probably escaped somehow?