Community Project concepts that you would like to see?

On 2/9/2024 at 3:28 PM, General Rainbow Bacon said:

Your #3 is interesting.  Would we include negative space on the outside too? Just the inner negative spaces would make maps pretty small.

Here's another one: A mapset with an inverse relationship between monster count and difficulty.  The first maps would have a lot of monsters, but be very easy, and each subsequent entry would be harder and fewer monsters.  The final maps being nearly void of monsters, but somehow get incredibly difficult.

oops all archviles! (probably a good CP?)

On 4/2/2024 at 11:51 AM, Li'l devil said:

Tormentor667 Community Project: every map is overdetailed to ridiculous degree.

Gothic99 Tribute Community Project.

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing a singleplayer Gothic trilogy tribute. Some sort of horde mode type deal using HorrorMovieRei's Gothic Doom, perhaps?

How about a 19 level set where each map is designed within the constraints of complevels, starting with cl0 (Doom v1.2) for MAP01 and progressing linearly to MBF21 for the finale. Maybe add a ZDoom monstrosity in MAP20 with scripting, mouselook, jumping etc. for a gonzo send off. 

5 hours ago, june gloom said:

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing a singleplayer Gothic trilogy tribute. Some sort of horde mode type deal using HorrorMovieRei's Gothic Doom, perhaps?

Ive got a step up from that; do what the official Quake add-on did, and start up a series of wads where deathmatch-only maps get 'expanded' as if the player was always confined to the DM portion. We could use the official Doom DM maps, Sigil 1 and 2, the four Team TNT megawads, Eternal DM, Crucified Dreams and the Gothic trilogy, to give a good example of a bunch of sets

Posted (edited)

Here's an idea. A wad where every map has IoS monster spawners and the floors are of the E1M8 type where the map ends once your health goes below 10%. 

This would make all maps into horde survival type maps where you try to survive as long as possible. The par times would indicate the minimum amount of time you need to survive to consider the map "beaten".

Edited by ReaperAA

Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2024 at 6:39 AM, Kinetic said:

- Swift slaughter community project (think swift death [hot starts] + shorter, smaller slaughter maps, i.e. scythe map26)

I love this idea in particular! I'm picturing something similar to KTA, the Marathon equivalent of slaughtermaps, which often have a great forwards momentum and flow.

@ReaperAA that is also a great idea!! I think that sector type is also a 20% damaging floor though - it'd need a custom sector special to enable the health-based exit only

Edited by DoctorNuriel

On 4/6/2024 at 3:39 PM, Kinetic said:

Random ideas I came up with maybe some have been done maybe some are bad:

- light -> dark or variations on it community project (each map progressively is at a darker ambient light level)

I think this would be cool. The very last level though where everything is at 0 brightness 😱

How about something a greater focus on scary atmosphere like Nihility with its use of ambient sounds instead of music? Use lots of stark lighting (including some color here and there.) Maybe move away from the hell-and-demons theme with something darker and more Lovecraftian for monsters? (Keep the techbase stuff tho)

A project similar to In City Only but modeled after Suburbs in particular. Less focus on verticality and more on slaughter lite combat out in the streets, with at least one real-life building (preferably the mapper's own house).

Doomcute community project.

I had mentioned this in the main Doomcute thread in the Doom General forums here, but basically, mappers make doomcute objects and have them displayed in a museum/Ikea store level of some sort.

A simple and fun one that'd be easy and low effort, but also likely 'not allowed' as a result, is one to swap Doom and Doom 2, a 'what if' scenario if Doom 2's campaign actually came out first in Doom 1's episode structure and limited beastiary, with the original Doom campaign being 'Doom 2' with a continuous campaign with the new monsters and weapon. I think it'd be fun to rebalance both with the opposite game in mind, would certainly give a fresh perspective. Would have to cut maps From Doom 2 and add ones to Doom to preserve the 27/32 maps though

Later on, Thy Flesh Consumed could be Doom 2'ed, and No Rest for the Living could be Doom 1'ed, as they too are opposites.

Okay here is a pitch and it is an extension of a couple of projects done in the past.

Now a lot of great megawad were made by two authors (Plutonia, Hell Revealed, Kama Sutra, Speed of Doom, Sunlust and possibly more). So how about a project where people put their name forward and are randomly paired together and can then make a short episode of maps. This is an extension on the single map premise where both work on the same map, here the maps are made by one or the other and are combined into a short episode of maps.

Posted (edited)

I want to see a custom episode created for PsyDoom, nothing special just a bunch of mappers, maybe even just newbie mappers for a fun exercise in messing around.

I've got a map in the works, I would literally start this but I am such a bad project leader.

Edited by mrthejoshmon

Both these are cool options, guys!

Actually, the only community mapset i know for PSXDoom is that Fastest Shovels session i hosted some time ago... It will be cool see a mapset for It that isn't small speedmapping excersize!

On 4/9/2024 at 8:14 PM, ReaperAA said:

Here's an idea. A wad where every map has IoS monster spawners and the floors are of the E1M8 type where the map ends once your health goes below 10%. 

This would make all maps into horde survival type maps where you try to survive as long as possible. The par times would indicate the minimum amount of time you need to survive to consider the map "beaten".

Except for end level floor that's exactly what you described. These maps also have very deliberate map design due to the monster sorting mechanism.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/136031-noescapewad-5-icon-of-sin-maps-cl-9/

3 hours ago, wheresthelambsauce said:

Maybe a mapset where maps are limited to a specific weapon, and building the map to make the most fun out of using that one weapon.

2 weapons but this is about it! :)

a pulp fiction inspired mapset with a non-chronological level order (use romero head exits to force pistol starts)

Posted (edited)

'Inspiration folder' maps made entirely from sections of existing wads. Maybe use an rng to choose the maps eg e1m1 + e3m5. 

Edited by Szymanski
Spelling

14 minutes ago, Szymanski said:

'Inspiration folder' maps made entirely from sections of existing wads. Maybe use an rng to choose the maps eh e1m1 + e3m5. 

You may like our project, Amalgoom.

7 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

You may like our project, Amalgoom.

That looks really cool, I'll take a look asap. I was inspired by this post:

and I was thinking along the lines of wholesale copy paste from the iwads then retexturing in otex plus detailing 

8 minutes ago, Szymanski said:

That looks really cool, I'll take a look asap. I was inspired by this post:

and I was thinking along the lines of wholesale copy paste from the iwads then retexturing in otex plus detailing 

I love remakes and reimaginations of the IWADs, would be interesting to see what people could do to them with a wider variety of textures.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Another idea: "Zeitgeist", commemorating 30+ years of Doom 2 mapping by creating one map for each year based on that year's general style and/or tropes and standards for aesthetics (analyzing that year's most iconic or "typical" maps/mapsets).

Edited by DoctorNuriel

Nothing too new but something i see rarely done: a continous mapset where the next map starts where the previous one ended, similar to how Hadephobia and some other 90s mapset was done...

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

Nothing too new but something i see rarely done: a continous mapset where the next map starts where the previous one ended, similar to how Hadephobia and some other 90s mapset was done...

Hispanic Community Project does that with most of the maps

Posted (edited)

I don't know if we can make it in Doom, but something in 1980s // 1950s setting, maybe even retro futurism similar to Bioshock.

How's about Medieval Japan // Asia?

Edited by Vanilla+Unicorn

Posted (edited)

Not quite a Megawad concept but an idea for a IoS bossfight I had in mind for a while... when I tried to make a showcase to how it could work it ended up being annoying tho, maybe someone else can take a spin on it and make it work properly?

General idea is a fight against 4 "Icon of Sins" themed around the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, where you have to destroy the keens in order to open up the Romero head that you can destroy (was thinking it would have to be replaced graphically, same with the IoS faces)
NrW01hT.png

Edited by Craneo