Daylight District | A 7-level vanilla episode!

nugg0021.png.eee7e2a8e613f6b3b64116ac14ef8817.png

MAP07: This Hell Knight and Revenant seem like they're meant to be part of the second wave, but they did not aggro.

Spoiler for MAP07.

nugg0022.png.f4606603492b48d69e5bc131b6c05e4b.png

Sweet relief...

Edited by NecrumWarrior

11 hours ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

Oof aaagh eee. Map 3 is… so mean. I must have been doing a whole lot of things wrong cos OUCH. Not entirely sure what a valid strat of that one would be, because I was drowning big time, lol. 🥲 I think the only time I felt safe was at the exit! Grim, ball-busting stuff to play blind for sure.

I hope I don't sound too forlorn or frustrated in the recording but it was hard to look on the bright side when I got turned inside out so often, lel

8 hours ago, DreadWanderer said:

The secret fight rocked my socks off as I hinted at in an earlier post. It's kinda hard to say what the optimal strat is, someone else in the thread said to focus on the imps for space which is 100% logical, the problem is that you get swarmed really fast and still take blast damage due to how cramped the room is. And there are revs too. The pillars are a double edged sword that provide you with cover but really screw your rocketing. I think that it's a fight that would be super fun (and easier) with a plasma gun instead of a RL. The reward and the difficulty can be fine tuned with something like supercharge instead of mega to balance out the plasma gun, and/or providing no more than 100 cells let's say. I don't know, these ideas are just something I thought about as I am writing this.

The berserk is one of the best weapons in there. I would start by doing what you can with rockets and then switching to berserk and then finishing off with rockets (when enemies stop teleporting in).

There's also this amusing (but inefficient) approach. 

@baja blast rd. thanks for the tips, I kinda forgot about berserk. It's a tough fight either way and I did make it past the map, but I'll be sure to remember your advice if I ever do a full playthrough.

10 hours ago, DreadWanderer said:

The secret fight rocked my socks off as I hinted at in an earlier post. It's kinda hard to say what the optimal strat is, someone else in the thread said to focus on the imps for space which is 100% logical, the problem is that you get swarmed really fast and still take blast damage due to how cramped the room is. And there are revs too. The pillars are a double edged sword that provide you with cover but really screw your rocketing. I think that it's a fight that would be super fun (and easier) with a plasma gun instead of a RL. The reward and the difficulty can be fine tuned with something like supercharge instead of mega to balance out the plasma gun, and/or providing no more than 100 cells let's say. I don't know, these ideas are just something I thought about as I am writing this.

That’s actually an awesome idea; you can plasma a bit to manage the imps then get space to rocket a bit then megasphere and try for vertical rocket damage from the safety of the upper area. Even then you need the archies to come to the front haha! Or try and waste them in the pit too. 😎

1 hour ago, baja blast rd. said:

The berserk is one of the best weapons in there. I would start by doing what you can with rockets and then switching to berserk and then finishing off with rockets (when enemies stop teleporting in).

There's also this amusing (but inefficient) approach. 

That’s a good idea too … or if you save up enough bullets to try and chaingun through imps as much as possible, using something other than the RL is probably a good idea lol

10 hours ago, T.Will said:

I knew my map would be a little mean, but I didn’t intend it to be grim. I hope you had at least some fun and don’t hate the map.

Haha nah you’re all good man, I foolishly played at the end of a really long day and wasn’t expecting such a ball buster. Think I might include a practiced playthrough at the end of the blind run to see if I can do it deathless with some sort of strategy lel. Certainly don’t hate the map at all it’s super smart and naughty, but I felt like everyone was ganging up on me and being mean, I only wanted to hang out with the demons, what was their problem 😛 

Edited by EduardoAndFriends
Pizza time

33 minutes ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

That’s actually an awesome idea; you can plasma a bit to manage the imps then get space to rocket a bit then megasphere and try for vertical rocket damage from the safety of the upper area. Even then you need the archies to come to the front haha! Or try and waste them in the pit too. 😎

Thanks, I think my thought process is based on some deep but not widely held belief that the plasma gun is secretly the most powerful (but still fair to balance) weapon in the game outside of OMG slaughter pieces. It has damage, rate of fire, and most importantly it has suppression. The more I get hammered in various creative ways, the more I start to appreciate just how good the space pew pew is. I love the SSG and the BFG but the reload and the chargeup can be fatal weaknesses for really fast swarms and traps where the plasma gun could be a life saver. As to the RL, well, I love it too, but this fight in particular shows why having a safe weapon is much less stressful. I think the fight would be more dynamic and fun even without the RL as long as you get enough cells.

Edited by DreadWanderer

1 hour ago, DreadWanderer said:

Thanks, I think my thought process is based on some deep but not widely held belief that the plasma gun is secretly the most powerful (but still fair to balance) weapon in the game outside of OMG slaughter pieces. It has damage, rate of fire, and most importantly it has suppression. The more I get hammered in various creative ways, the more I start to appreciate just how good the space pew pew is. I love the SSG and the BFG but the reload and the chargeup can be fatal weaknesses for really fast swarms and traps where the plasma gun could be a life saver. As to the RL, well, I love it too, but this fight in particular shows why having a safe weapon is much less stressful. I think the fight would be more dynamic and fun even without the RL as long as you get enough cells.

Yee PG is the real sex weapon in all kinds of ways. For punching through weak, bastardly imps it’s a godsend!

Map 04 totally hits the spot for me; Yugiboy you’ve made something that really sings to me and hits its marks like a champ. Hot but not uncomfortable, beautifully rendered and with remarkable flow. That subtle humour will always make my eyes light up too. 😎 an absolute joy to play, matey! 

This whole set was a lot of fun to play! The back half really put me through the ringer and I had to cheat a little on MAP07. I tried dropping MAP07 down to HMP but the opener felt just as difficult without the Pain Elemental. It might be a good idea to lighten that first fight a bit more on lower difficulties. 

7 hours ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

Map 04 totally hits the spot for me; Yugiboy you’ve made something that really sings to me and hits its marks like a champ. Hot but not uncomfortable, beautifully rendered and with remarkable flow. That subtle humour will always make my eyes light up too. 😎 an absolute joy to play, matey! 

Glad you liked it :D 

Map 02 - Hustle Bones.

Love the tune, myolden. and the map is a sizzling scorcher. You got me good with that final burst of bad guys (I totally thought they were in the exit or something and that we were all done with the water). And to be taken down by a caco bite when archies are on the menu is the cruellest cut of all. ;) marvellous stuff, man!

Spoiler

Edited by EduardoAndFriends
Sausage feast

I've finished it. Not sure what I may have missed in RC2 but hopefully it's nothing earth-shattering and just minor tweaks. I have to say, @myolden that your second map in particular is probably the most aggravating map I've played in a long time and I came VERY close to rage-quitting, but I'm happy to report that I got there in the end. Regardless, a very tongue-in-cheek "FUCK YOU!" to you, ya pesky penguin prick! ;^)

Overall, it's another quality mapset. You squonked me long and hard, thank you very much!

4 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

I've finished it. Not sure what I may have missed in RC2 but hopefully it's nothing earth-shattering and just minor tweaks. I have to say, @myolden that your second map in particular is probably the most aggravating map I've played in a long time and I came VERY close to rage-quitting, but I'm happy to report that I got there in the end. Regardless, a very tongue-in-cheek "FUCK YOU!" to you, ya pesky penguin prick! ;^)

Overall, it's another quality mapset. You squonked me long and hard, thank you very much!

The moment I saw the opener plus the two-directional HK + rev gangbang  in the little river, I 100% knew it was a myolden joint. Oh yeah there's the cyberdemon trap too, classic. A real toughie that you have to chip away at, both literally and mentally.

2 hours ago, DreadWanderer said:

The moment I saw the opener plus the two-directional HK + rev gangbang  in the little river, I 100% knew it was a myolden joint. Oh yeah there's the cyberdemon trap too, classic. A real toughie that you have to chip away at, both literally and mentally.

My mental health was ruined by that map. Would play again.

HELLO!!!! I went ahead and did the moonlight/daylight combo. These are both really great sets, and daylight feels like a great natural progression in difficulty!

Congratulations to the mappers! Looking forward to whatever you guys do next.

10 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Oh yikes! That’s up next for me to play blind 😳 I’ll give ya vid a squizz when I’m done to see how you battled through! G U L P.

Wowsers! Up to the last map now, recording-wise. Gosh n golly, I REALLY hope I don’t bitch too much through map06. It was so good but I think I went in with the idea that it could make you rage quit, which is completely my fault for getting into that headspace. I somehow managed to beat the last fight without a death though…?! I think infighting must be the key there, for sure.

Spoiler

EIGHT ARCHVILES THOUGH??!!! You monster, myolden. :p

Seriously though, I truly hope I’m not too grumpy. It was fucking rad.

Got some sort of bugging on Map05. The caco in the picture didn't teleport in; he was awake and going back and forth across his lines but hadn't come in at the end of the map. Not sure why! Had to idclip and torch the poor little sucker. I think he must pop in at the archvile / baron tight squeeze area before the yellow bars area, if that makes sense.

caco-detail.png.612e81a468a14c1a86838f69adec2a31.png

5 hours ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

It was so good but I think I went in with the idea that it could make you rage quit, which is completely my fault for getting into that headspace.

I think this is a really good example of negative priming. I love reading people's opinions, thoughts, whatever, but at the same time I'm glad that I went through the set before reading Biodegradable's comment. There was enough sighing and cussing from me without exterior prompts :D

50 minutes ago, DreadWanderer said:

I think this is a really good example of negative priming. I love reading people's opinions, thoughts, whatever, but at the same time I'm glad that I went through the set before reading Biodegradable's comment. There was enough sighing and cussing from me without exterior prompts :D

And fair enough too. There’s certainly quite a bit of cussing in my vid lol

Finished the set! Fantastic work, guys. Really, really solid stuff, very inspiring. :) felt a bit of a dope while playing but a champ for finishing, haha. Not quite what I expected when I jumped in but subverting expectations is generally always a good thing. Look forward to more from you guys!

2 hours ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

Finished the set! Fantastic work, guys. Really, really solid stuff, very inspiring. :) felt a bit of a dope while playing but a champ for finishing, haha. Not quite what I expected when I jumped in but subverting expectations is generally always a good thing. Look forward to more from you guys!

My memories of playing Moonlit District are a bit hazy but I'm pretty sure it was easier. To me the surprise was the quite dramatic uptick in difficulty for maps 6 and 7 (though 7 was easier ironically). Jarring but I really liked it as a whole.

Also, not sure if anyone has noted it but there’s a typo in the map06 text screen. Says “HYRDO” instead of “HYDRO”. Unless that was deliberate in which case don’t listen to me 😌

Haha but in all seriousness I'm glad you guys liked the set. I set out to make something that would really bust people's balls and I'm happy to see you've found enjoyment in it. Thanks!

On 2/24/2024 at 11:35 PM, DreadWanderer said:

My memories of playing Moonlit District are a bit hazy but I'm pretty sure it was easier. To me the surprise was the quite dramatic uptick in difficulty for maps 6 and 7 (though 7 was easier ironically). Jarring but I really liked it as a whole.

Yeah man, Moonlit is the bee’s tits! 

Finished RC2 tonight in a single sitting, had a total blast!  I may or may not have had to restart Map 06 to make sure I had a lot of cells left for the ending...
Totally loved the whole time, and agreed with others, map 7 was a lot easier for me than map 6.  Awesome stuff all around, I feel thoroughly squonked and satisfied.

Map03 - Hydropump. Did not play my best and was not prepare for what T.WILL was going to throw at me, lol. I really, really liked the aesthetics of this map and the flow was impeccable. That megasphere fight can go jump in a lake, though hehe.

Spoiler

Map04 - The Place Building Itself. REALLY loved this map. It really hit the spot for what I look for most in a Doom map: it's short, it's cheeky, but it's not a pain in the anus. Lovely stuff.

Spoiler

Map05 - Higher Ground. As others have said, it's quite tricky to get a foothold at the start and I managed it after a fashion. Troll light goggles aside, everything ran pretty smoothly beyond one cheeky little caco not teleporting in, but I'm sure he's been whipped into shape in RC3. Nice one, Bobby.

Spoiler

Map06 - Hacker. Quite a tasty dish from myolden here. This map made my brain melt, as you can no doubt tell in the cyber pit and I'm like "50 damage ... 50 damage!" and I mean 50 health. Derp. No idea why I started shooting my mouth off about ammo and other stupid stuff, take no heed of my ramblings. Bit embarrassed about my dribbling actually. Sorry about that. Very sexy final fight. Very naughty. Very myolden.

Spoiler

Map07 - Serene Slaughter. Lovely finisher from ZeMystic. Really bookends the mapset well. Once I punched through the monsters at the start it was plain sailing and extremely good fun. 

Spoiler

I've said it before and I don't mind repeating myself when it comes to compliments, but y'all have made something very special and very fun here. Big pats on the back all 'round. Thanks for making! Roll on idgames release! :)