TWOGERS - 50 more maps of Twitch madness [RC1.3 - 06/03/24] (MBF21)

Map36 is cool, then I started to hate it, then I started to like it.  Now I don't hate it, but I am quite stuck:

Well the puzzles escalated quickly.  My brief notes so far:

• 5 sector bars in the center: 3 lit up, 2 empty
  • 12 skull switches, only 2/12 skull switches are aligned (seems like a red herring, no connection)
    • Otherwise, there are notably three main branches with 3, 4, and 5 switches respectively.
  • There are yellowish-green torches scattered about through the hallways (I don't think these correlate with anything, counting them doesn't seem to help, doesn't correlate with the sector bars)
  • I did check the editor briefly like a cheaty-face, and noticed everything is 96 brightness despite some switches looking darker, no light gimmick here either:
    • There's also that 12x10 voodoo engine driving this whole thing.

I wonder if this one of those puzzles that will make me feel stupid after solving it.

Edited by NoisyVelvet

TWOGERS RC1.1 is out! Several hotfixes and balance changes for a few maps, check the OP for the full changelog!

Changelog:

Spoiler

RC1.1

General - fixed Afrits and several custom monster attacks not having bright frames

MAP03 - moved secret, added descrption to text file
MAP04 - fixed visual glitch with third car lane on speeds 3-5, fixed medikit dispenser dumping all medikits simultaneously
MAP10 - added difficulty settings and co-op support
MAP16 - fixed a couple of missing textures
MAP24 - visual clarity for first room, fixed fake ceilings being too low, major balance changes to Black and White fight
MAP25 - fixes and rebalancing
MAP33 - fixed HOMs, balance changes to Black and White area and Platforming area
MAP36 - fixed major softlock preventing exit, fixed major aesthetic component of map that was not functional and other minor softlocks that were preventing 100% secrets and items - don't do linedef optimisations to avoid the linedef limit 24 hours before release! also tweaked a few colormaps
MAP43 - removed debug voodoo dolls

On 2/17/2024 at 7:12 AM, NoisyVelvet said:

Map36 is cool, then I started to hate it, then I started to like it.  Now I don't hate it, but I am quite stuck:

Yep, this was a fault I did from last-minute linedef optimisations and not having time for a full playthrough to check that I didn't break anything stupid. I've done a full playthrough today, fixed several things and can confirm that it's now possible to get 100% on every level stat.

Edited by deathz0r

TWOGERS RC1.2 is out! More hotfixes and balance changes, and also actually adding the Dehacked changes that were meant to be in RC1.1! Check the OP for the full changelog!

Changelog:

Spoiler

RC1.2
General - actually compile the Dehacked changes properly instead of writing changes in the DoomTools UI and not saving the DecoHack, oops!
MAP04 - enemies now automatically die
MAP05 - various fixes

MAP07 - map renamed to Two Gers One Cup
MAP16 - fixed a missing upper texture
MAP36 - numerous minor fixes, visual improvements to some secrets, rebalancing across all skills
MAP38 - rebalancing in HNTR, minor fixes
MAP39 - added co-op starts
MAP41 - added co-op starts, change viles to nokill% variants
MAP47 - reduced sectors with local sound propagation from the the entire map (216) to 15. surely everyone uses parallel sound limits, right?!
MAP48 - add anti-cheese, fix for Eternity Engine compatibility
MAP50 - fixed UMAPINFO entry to have correct map number label

Edited by deathz0r

the amount of fresh thinking going on in this wad is... incredible... genuinely...

hats off to all involved, glad i waited until it was done to take a look at everybody else's maps... amazing... i can't begin to be more sincere about how impressed i am.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

TWOGERS RC1.3 is out! Final hotfix RC which took significantly longer because MAP36 is a massive and complex beast, also includes the author name in the CWILV* lumps and finally has credits sorted out in the text file! RC2 will come out soon™ when I get around to finishing the credits map, in POOGERS tradition of a map being missing from the WAD. Check the OP for the full changelog!

Changelog:

Spoiler

RC1.3
General - text file fully fleshed out regarding credits, CWILV graphics now include map author, fixed a couple of dehacked variant enemies that require manual work after a DecoHack compile, added dummy DEMO1/DEMO2/DEMO3 lumps
MAP04 - rescaled HMP difficulty to use a gentle curve for speed increase, added a very gentle curve for increasing speed in HNTR
MAP27 - added software renderer requirement to text file, balance adjustments, visual improvements
MAP36 - replaced song for final area with a more fitting alternative, fixed multiple conditional progression softlocks, fixed multiple bugs with monster closets, added difficulty settings for a few secrets, various gameplay improvements, minor visual improvements, extra page added on Read This!, Doom Retro compatibility fixes, added INTERPIC (by msx2plus)
MAP43 - improvements to the chasm area
MAP48 - changed texture in final area, added INTERPIC

And on that note, MAP36 is more or less literally done - I've squeezed out almost all linedef optimisations that I can think of in the voodoo closets to the point where finding any more would be trying to draw blood out of stone, and the map is currently sitting at 65,485 lines. I'll use the remaining 50 or so lines I have available to fix any bugs that may appear and then throw it towards detail for the starting area or something by the time the /idgames upload comes around. I'm definitely taking a break from voodoo closet nonsense for now :)

While most of my playthroughs in the past month prior to RC1.2 dropping were dev playthroughs to save time, I went back to doing no less than ten full playthroughs (almost entirely HNTR/HMP with a single UV playthrough being the final one) to weed out any combinations the map would possibly throw that would fall apart. Thankfully the very large majority of the map was already stable but there were a good number of edge cases that popped up, especially non-UV specific issues which were diagnosed and successfully fixed. I have a much greater amount of confidence that the map won't unintentionally screw the player anymore, especially deep into a playthrough.

Big thanks to @brendondle for streaming an entire UV-max run which caught a rather amusing bug where a specific voodoo closet would not move after being released until the player had stopped moving. Also thanks to @Napsalm and @msx2plus for feedback!

The timing of Doom Retro v5.3 being released was fantastic - it fixed two issues that were crucial to the map and I'm impressed with the fact it keeps a large majority of the software render effects while providing dithering, which really enhances the atmosphere of the map! Really cool stuff, thankfully the changes required to get the map working properly on Doom Retro were minor and two of those were bad voodoo closet designs with regards to difficulty scaling and another just throwing block land monsters lines around to prevent dropoff. It's one of three ports with MBF21 support that properly supports the map along with DSDA and Woof.

Do you dare touch the 286?

doom84.png.234012c14dca6f367cd06f0f2ffd3acf.png

Spoiler

also, doubling the number of monster spawn locations between RC1.2 and RC1.3 gave the map a much larger dynamic angle for repeated playthroughs, one of the playthroughs had an especially rough start which was a fun challenge to work around until I had stabilised :D

and yes, I tested the monster spawning engine for 20 minutes straight, roughly taking 6 seconds to complete each time. I'd be surprised if a combination exists that I didn't stumble upon that causes a monster to fail to spawn in

Edited by deathz0r

well looks like i'll have to revisit this to revisit the 286... but maybe i'll wait for idgames

Started this tonight, totally blown away by the creativity and fun on display.  Just mind blowing stuff.  I wish I could actually go to the cinema for a 5D John Romero film...

• 4 weeks later...

Funny, creative and high effort maps in one wad with great music. The email segment got me good lmao. Title game was strong.

There were a few maps and areas where I got stuck or couldn't get them to start properly in RC1.3. map23 gave me a bit of a headache but powered through it.

Computer didn't seem to like map33 - doom pinned a a single core to 100% with <1fps trying to handle everything. Freezing monsters seemed to resolve it so I imagine there was a lot of things thinking.

Great use of an evening.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, ipaqmaster said:

Funny, creative and high effort maps in one wad with great music. The email segment got me good lmao. Title game was strong.

There were a few maps and areas where I got stuck or couldn't get them to start properly in RC1.3. map23 gave me a bit of a headache but powered through it.

Computer didn't seem to like map33 - doom pinned a a single core to 100% with <1fps trying to handle everything. Freezing monsters seemed to resolve it so I imagine there was a lot of things thinking.

Great use of an evening.

Thank you for playing it in the source port that was explicitly mentioned in the OP and the text file as not being recommended to use!

Edited by deathz0r

Any time -

No, sorry to leave you hanging. I picked this up in a marathon of wads to check out. In standard evening procedure I dragged them into the favorite. Though - even in my initial borked run the enjoyment was enough to compliment. Most of the maps were perfectly fine.

I went back through the ones I had trouble with in DSDA and complevel 9  immediately after that comment rather than moving onto the next wad for the evening. I probably should have edited that in sooner or waited to comment in the first place. Oh well.

Anyway... The effort in this is outstanding and I loved it a lot. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, ipaqmaster said:

Any time -

No, sorry to leave you hanging. I picked this up in a marathon of wads to check out. In standard evening procedure I dragged them into the favorite. Though - even in my initial borked run the enjoyment was enough to compliment. Most of the maps were perfectly fine.

I went back through the ones I had trouble with in DSDA and complevel 9  immediately after that comment rather than moving onto the next wad for the evening. I probably should have edited that in sooner or waited to comment in the first place. Oh well.

How did you get it to work properly? I've been trying every compatibility level gzdoom can offer but some of them arent working. Is the wad broken?

@Steven128it's not meant to be played in GZDoom, the OP explicitly states this. Download DSDA-doom, play with complevel 21 and any other settings it says and it will work. Dunno why people are insisting it has to work on GZDoom

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ipaqmaster said:

Most of the maps were perfectly fine.

From my quick two-hour test through the maps, I've found at least 21 out of 50 maps being broken in some way in GZDoom, that's not counting the maps that have sub-optimal performance. I'm not sure that 40% of the maps being broken is what I consider "perfectly fine".

MBF21 is not complevel 9, it's complevel 21. Forcing complevel 9 on this will break instant death sectors and makes maps like MAP04 trivial.

TWOGERS does include a COMPLVL lump which will automatically set it to complevel 21, which I forgot to mention in the OP - thanks for that, I've now added that for clarity.

No problem, I still appreciate the comments even if the playthrough was massively far from the intended experience!

11 hours ago, Steven128 said:

How did you get it to work properly? I've been trying every compatibility level gzdoom can offer but some of them arent working. Is the wad broken?

Thank you, I've updated the OP to make it more blatantly obvious to people who can't read. I've also now updated the OP with two/three-hour tests with most MBF21-capable ports for issues, eventually I'll need to do full playthroughs in each port to fully determine what is broken. DelphiDoom on first glance seems to be too broken and also abandoned, so that's low on my priority list. Again, DSDA-Doom or Woof! are the recommended ports at this point in time - Eternity and Doom Retro have far less issues than other ports, and it would be great to see those working perfectly. Helion has been responsive to my bug reports, which is also promising.

Edited by deathz0r

You may already know this, but the ENDOOM screen is still the one from Poogers.

6 hours ago, Machettell said:

So many are just broken. My Epilepsy played up on the red flashing level and I had to stopp playing.

The larger you make the "don't run this in GZDoom" sign, the harder people will ignore it.

Adding this as an official add-on for the unity port will make the game absolutely amazing. Even on the mobile ports!

4 hours ago, DiceByte said:

Adding this as an official add-on for the unity port will make the game absolutely amazing. Even on the mobile ports!

Unfortunately probably never gonna happen, the add-ons for the Unity and mobile ports are limit-removing (complevel 2) only. Twogers is MBF21. 

My fun blind impressions on the first 12 maps of Twogers even though this was originally recorded back in Febuary from the RC 1.1 so its a bit outdated as the maplist has been updated at that time.

I agree. Could not get most of the maps to work on this one but the seizure inducing level is 100% worth warning players about before they experience it! My whole Appertment lit up in red flashing.

Gotta love how many people apparently created their accounts solely to share that they ignored the "don't run this in GZDoom" warning.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about everyone else but I came from a recent popular and (intentionally) vague Youtube video. Great pack of maps. Thanks for the laughs.

I am pretty sure this was the wad that decino made his april fools video that parodied midnight. Pretty funny wad from the info I got from his video.

• 3 weeks later...

Lmao, somehow Decino's April Fools video completely passed me by. Had to look it up...

Anyway, the Midnight parody gave me a good laugh.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, here's the link: