GZDoom openal32.dll question

The last couple of years, GZDoom (and Raze) is shipped with a version of openal32.dll that sounds much worse in 5.1 (in my case) than the one before it.

Thankfully, i can use the older dll on later versions of GZDoom without issues, but i don't know for how long this will be possible. Basically, the older dll makes the sound deeper, with more bass. The latest version of the dll sounds weaker and flatter. The bass when firing the shotguns is almost non-existent by comparison. Same with Duke Nukem 3D on Raze.

Now this could be just me and my old Audigy 2 platinum card and settings (still the best sound card ever made). But i would like to know if others can hear the same results. Here is the old, good file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/7ayl52cw03zzfi9/openal32.zip/file

Try this if you have a fancy 5.1 audio setup and you care about sound. It probably won't make a huge difference on a cheap speakers or plain 2 channel setup. Just want to know if it's only me. Because if the old dll stops working on a future version of GZDoom, i will be locked to the last one that worked.

Edited by TasAcri

You could try the latest openal32.dll here . Look in the bin folder, select either 64 or 32 bit version and rename soft-oal.dll to openal32.dll.

P.S. I love my X-Fi Titanium. Off topic - you might be interested in this for your Audigy.

Edited by hawkwind

1 hour ago, hawkwind said:

You could try the latest openal32.dll here . Look in the bin folder, select either 64 or 32 bit version and rename soft-oal.dll to openal32.dll.

P.S. I love my X-Fi Titanium. Off topic - you might be interested in this for your Audigy.

Thanks for the links. I know about Daniel's drivers and i use them for a while now.

Unfortunately, the latest dll still sounds weak compared to the one i linked.