What's your opinion on Sigil 1 and Sigil 2?

I played and completed them 3 times on Ultra-Violence and they're great! I more like Sigil 2 tho. E6M1 is soo hard on UV, but after that the maps are amazing, the design is so hellish and red, i love it. Romero did a great job with it.

I did a full map by map review here.

If you want a TLDR, both WADs are visually stunning, but they're very inconsistently balanced for low difficulties. Sigil II also, irritatingly enough, makes a single secret inaccessible after the first thirty seconds on every map but the first, which makes it really irritating to 100% its maps.

Edited by Explorer of Time

I love sigil 1, interesting take of doom's hell with some of Romero's iwad design sensibilities being adapted for the modern age, in a sea of wads that far outdid the iwads and got farther away from them in terms of style and duration, is refreshing to play sigil 1 once in a while, especially since the maps are kind of short and a joy to play.

Sigil 2's focus on replayability and secret hunting is a thing I can only say after completing it like 3 times already but is rougher around the edges with some maps having sections you have to wait like an eternity to make meaningful progress and the same kind of disgusting baron/shotgunner usage I hated from his thy flesh maps. First time sigil 2 (on uv, idk how it is in lower difficulties) is rough, subsequent playtroughs are a bit more satisfying, but still doesn't make it not being a mixed bag for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Time-based secrets are stupid and I hate them. Part of the appeal of classic Doom is that beyond something like par time, you can explore the map on your own terms. Sometimes I want to take things slower, I don't like having to run somewhere quickly. I also feel that using the "shoot the eye to open something" was fun once, then it became overused. They are overall good maps, but can get repetitive in their mechanics.

Loved Sigil, played it start-to-finish probably 8 or 9 times. Sigil II was just okay. Played it maybe 4 times. Kinda got TOO Sigil, if you know what I mean. There being at least one Cyberdemon in each level felt forced sometimes (like E6M2), and the thing with shooting fireblue cracks for a zombieman guarding lame supplies felt forced too, like secrets for secrets sake. 30 second secrets I didn't love. Also wasn't crazy about the final boss. S2 was okay, but liked the first one a lot more. I enjoyed One Humanity, so looking forward to Romero's Doom II wad. Whenever that's coming, hopefully not too far in the future.