[Submissions closed!] McDoomguy's Slaughterific Sample Platter - Pick your restrictions and have at it!

48 minutes ago, LSC Lasico said:

@MFG38 just one question regarding the 64 grid restriction.

As you can see on this picture, this structure is not aligned to the 64 grid size. However, I have made it without entering a lower grid size once. Does this still count for this restriction or are only vertices in the corners of each square allowed?

That does not qualify. The whole idea with the grid size restriction is that any and all vertices are aligned to the corners of each square.

Map name: Touch the grass

Author: Walter

Music: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly theme taken from bitmidi, composer unknown

Restrictions: 64 grid size, 3 textures\3 flats (BIGBRIK2, ZIMMER1, SW2ZIM / CEIL3_5, GRASS2, F_SKY1), 10 sectors or less (actually 7), hitscanners only

Notes: map made for testing editors on my cousin's laptop, get a little bit more evolved from the original draft, tried to make a pacifist map but sure it's hard making stuff with that gameplay restriction!

Spoiler

doom00.png

cousin.zip

3 minutes ago, signaturereverie said:

question : does the 1024x1024 size limit also apply for monster closets and voodoo dolls and the like ?

Those can be outside the 1024x1024 space - the restriction only applies to the playable area itself.

10 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Those can be outside the 1024x1024 space - the restriction only applies to the playable area itself.

Oh noooooo, wish I knew that prior! I kept my closets and voodoo dolls within all restrictions haha

14 hours ago, MFG38 said:

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't really feel within the spirit of the project. I know it's been a long staple of these Claustrophobia/Containment/Congestion/Constriction/Circumscription projects to allow for unplayable areas outside of the restiction, but I think those were always decorative. Voodoo closets and control sectors are a bit different in that they add functionality to the map, so there isn't much of a reason to allow them to be outside of the restricted area, because they are integral to the level. Just like there's no reason for them to be exempt from the line or sector restriction.

I might attempt this mapping challenge if I can find some time this month, ill let you know

map name :

author : signaturereverie

music : 4° by tool
restrictions : no orthogonal lines , 1024x1024 playable area , pacifist

notes : killfloor shenanigans with a fairly square design . however !

(want to eventually come back to these restrictions in a more "proper" manner because this one i feel evades the feel and the intent behind them which i do feel a bit on the fence about)

Spoiler

doom311.png.f598965f476e7fbda756823bdbb931e2.png

4degrees

53 minutes ago, dyshoriaroc said:

hey i whould like to join

Go ahead.

Posted (edited)

I wish to join...

I will pick:

1024x1024 or smaller

Only 1 monster type (cacodemon)

grid size of 64

Edited by CBM

Posted (edited)

Okay, forget about the last submission, it's been updated with a bunch of cool new sections by 3 more mappers. I'll also actually make the submission form proper this time. Also, thanks to @Cynder_Thief and @akolai for their playtesting.

Map name: Skibidiggido XY
Authors: Xulgonoth (lead), Mapper X, Oxymoron, The Xizzler, xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx, Gargax the Executioner, GexFan24464, XmarX
Music: Mr. Bungle - Ars Moriendi
Restrictions: All of them. See Notes.

Download: skibidiggido_xy_rc2.zip
Notes:

Skibidiggido XY (emphasis should be put on the 'Y') comprises of 9 separate sections, each one being its own map with all restrictions from the first list and exactly 1 restriction from the second list. The Full list of sections is as follows:

Spoiler

Position	Author			Title					Monster type		2nd list restriction			Flats				Textures
Top Left	The Xizzler		Calamity Jade				N/A			Monsterless puzzle/platforming map	BRIKGTH5, SNOWF_1, GRAYSLM1	FIREBLU1, SNOWYWLC, SW1EXTST
Top centre	Xulgonoth		Do You Believe in Life After Love?	N/A			Monsterless puzzle/platforming map	FLOOR72C, RROCK02, RROCK11R	BRICKBLB, SKYND03A, SW1PLSKL
Top right	xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx	Blister Blast				Baron of Hell		A bunch of explosive barrels		GRAYFLAR, FLOOR1_1, F_SKY1	SKINEDGE, COMPBLL2, SW1BROWN
Centre left	Gargax the Executioner	Nerd Rage				Revenant		A bunch of explosive barrels		MARBCHE2, FLOOR6_4, LITGTHGF	BODIESE, TEKLITD2, SW1_UP1
Centre		Xulgonoth		Serenade of Self-Destruction		Arch-vile		Sector special 10			FLAT15, ALLBLAKF, LAVA1		ROCKRED1, SKYDF01, SW1HOTBL
Centre right	GexFan24464		Paderborn Village but Awesome		Demon			Pacifist map				GRAYTLF1, EGYPFT06, F_SKY1	CITY08, DFCONC01, SW1ICK1
Bottom left	Mapper X		Congoline Inferno			Cyberdemon		Pacifist map				GROUND18, NUKAGE1, F_SKY1	ASHWALL3, MIDBARS3, SW1PIPE
Bottom centre	XmarX			Heartache				Spider Mastermind	Hitscan enemies only			COPPERF1, GROUND36, HAZARDI	PLUTSQR7, HAZARD1, SW1MTFAC
Bottom right	Oxymoron		Ascending to the Stars II		Chaingunner		Hitscan enemies only			FLOOR1_8, FLOOR1_6, F_SKY1	GRAYVRR3, GRAYVRR3, SW1HOT

Patch notes:
Here's a relevant list of changes being made during the second mapping session (on the 9th of March 2024):

Spoiler

9:24	VOD of Cynder_Thief's playtesting is played for the rest of the team.
9:26	Oxymoron states he doesn't care and will not change anything.
9:35	Mapper X proposes to skip "Serenade of Self-Destruction". Proposition is passed.
	Comment: "We all know you won't want to change anything either. Just skip to the actually good parts." -The Xizzler
9:36	Xulgonoth fails to find the relevant section of the VOD for the next 74 seconds.
	Comment: "[DATA EXPUNGED] you all. Twitch sucks." -Xulgonoth
9:40	Cynder_Thief's VOD reaches the "Ascending to the STars II" section. Oxymoron expresses delight at Cynder_Thief's reaction.
9:48	Mapper X proposes to mute Oxymoron, as he finds his laughter annoying. Proposition is passed.
10:02	xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx points out unchanged flats in "Ascending to the Stars II" and asks Oxymoron to change them. Oxymoron proceeds to draw rhomboids over xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx's section instead.
10:04	xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx notices changes made to his section and reverts them. Then changes the default flats in "Ascending to the Stars II" into FLOOR1_6.
	Comment: "Quit drawing your mum, you're wasting my linedef count." -xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx
10:09	Cynder_Thief beats "Ascending to the Stars II". Mapper X suggests the area should have more health. Oxymoron is unmuted for comment.
	Comment: "He beat it. [DATA EXPUNGED]" -Oxymoron
10:10	Xulgonoth adds more health to "Ascending to the Stars II".
10:11	Oxymoron leaves the session.
	Comment: "[DATA EXPUNGED]" -Oxymoron
10:23	Cynder_Thief beats "Blister Blast". Mapper X suggests the section is too easy.
	Comment: "I don't give a [DATA EXPUNGED], I like it as it is." -xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx
10:26	Taurinx joins the session and submits his section "Earth Blood Down". xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx volunteers for playtesting while the VOD is still running, splitting the stream.
10:31	Cynder_Thief beats "Congoline Inferno". Mapper X screams several obscenities about the final cyberdemon walking into his teleporter after Cynder_Thief had left the section prematurely and demands to switch places with xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx.
	Comment: "Sure, man." -xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx
10:35	xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx beats "Earth Blood Down" and expresses his liking for the clever puzzle. The rest of the team unanimously agrees.
	Comment: "Wow, this is probably the best part so far. I didn't even know you could build something like that with just 10 sectors." -xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx
10:36	The team spends the next 18 minutes trying to figure out the voodoo doll closets in "Earth Blood Down". They fail. The Xizzler does not contribute to the conversation, as he is the last person still watching Cynder_Thief's VOD.
	Comment: "How the [DATA EXPUNGED] do you get the light sequence and the random platforms from this? And how do you still have sectors available for all the locked doors?" -Mapper X
10:41	XmarX joins the session and submits "Heartache". Xulgonoth assigns it to the bottom centre position while everyone else is analysing "Earth Blood Down".
10:43	Xulgonoth removes the music changer from "Heartache"
	Comment: "The music stays through all sections. This is one of the weaker Undertale tracks anyway." -Xulgonoth
10:55	The Xizzler calls himself a [DATA EXPUNGED] when Cynder_Thief figures out how to get all the keys without properly solving his puzzle and getting softlocked as a result. He begins to modify his section.
	Comment: "I really wish I had more [DATA EXPUNGED] linedefs." -The Xizzler
10:57	Mapper X playtests "Heartache" and finds a spot where the spider mastermind can easily be sniped from. He calls XmarX a [DATA EXPUNGED]. XmarX modifies the northern part to make the cheese impossible.
11:02	GexFan24464 joins the session and submits "Paderborn Village but Awesome". Xulgonoth assigns it to the centre right slot.
11:03	Xulgonoth changes the texture set in "Paderborn Village but Awesome" to CITY08, DFCONC01 and SW1ICK1.
	Comment: "I'm fine with Wolfenstein textures, but none of those please, let's keep this civil." -Xulgonoth
11:04	GexFan24464 calls Xulgonoth a [DATA EXPUNGED]. Mapper X agrees with her.
	Comment: "Yeah, I know, and?" -Xulgonoth
11:06	xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx playtests "Paderborn Village but Awesome" and finds out that is the pinky sees you by the teleport switch, it walks in an angle that doesn't teleport it into the closet. GexFan24464 modifies her section to fix this.
11:08	XmarX draws a [DATA EXPUNGED] shape in "Congoline Inferno" and splits its overlapping linedefs.
11:10	Mapper X fixes "Congoline Inferno". Then splits the overlapping linedefs in "Heartache".
	Comment: "Thanks, [DATA EXPUNGED]" -Mapper X
11:11	The Xizzler draws a hangman in "Congoline Inferno".
11:12	Mapper X fixes "Congoline Inferno". Then draws a rhomboid in "Calamity Jade".
	Comment: "[DATA EXPUNGED]" -Mapper X
11:13	The Xizzler calls Mapper X a [DATA EXPUNGED] and fixes "Calamity Jade".
	Comment: "That's my section, [DATA EXPUNGED]" -The Xizzler
11:14	GexFan24464 calls everyone [DATA EXPUNGED] and tells them to stop. In response, Taurinx draws a heart in "Serenade of Self-Destruction".
11:15	Xulgonoth kicks Taurinx from the session and deletes "Earth Blood Down".
	Comment: "Know your [DATA EXPUNGED] place, [DATA EXPUNGED]" -Xulgonoth
11:18	Xulgonoth begins to work on a new section to replace "Earth Blood Down". Mapper X, The Xizzler and xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx all call him a [DATA EXPUNGED] and a [DATA EXPUNGED].
11:22	xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx leaves the session.
11:26	Gargax the Executioner joins the session and submits "Nerd Rage". It goes in to the final free spot.
11:27	Mapper X playtests "Nerd Rage". He deems the section to have a balancing issue.
11:28	Gargax the Executioner deems Mapper X to have a skill issue.
11:30	Mapper X adds soulspheres and a green armour pickup to "Nerd Rage".
11:31	Gargax the Executioner redacts Mapper X's modifications.
11:33	The Xizzler suggests that at least the green armour should be kept. Gargax the Executioner calls The Xizzler a [DATA EXPUNGED].
11:34	GexFan24464 adds a green armour pickup to "Nerd Rage". Gargax the Executioner leaves the session.
	Comment: "Lol" -GexFan24464
11:38	Xulgonoth finishes and submits "Do You Believe in Life After Love?". Mapper X suggests that he is still a [DATA EXPUNGED].
11:39	The Xizzler attempts to play the map in full, but ends up inside the closet in "Paderborn Village but Awesome". He fixes this by replacing the proper Player 1 start with a new one.
11:42	The Xizzler proceeds to play the map in full. He finishes in 14 minutes and 34 second on the intermission screen.
11:57	Session ends as the map is deemed to be in a release candidate state.

15:17	Xulgonoth starts a new session with The Xizzler. He explains that akolai has just playtested the map and found a more efficient solution to "Calamity Jade" and asks if The Xizzler would like to make is solution the new official one.
15:19	The Xizzler agrees and modifies "Calamity Jade" to increase the difficulty of the puzzle.
15:24	The Xizzler points out that Xulgonoth is still a [DATA EXPUNGED].
	Comment: "Yeah, I know." -Xulgonoth
15:25	Session ends. RC2 is created.

Edited by Xulgonoth

3 minutes ago, Xulgonoth said:

Authors: Xulgonoth (lead), Mapper X, Oxymoron, The Xizzler, xXx_Majster_Braňo_xXx, Gargax the Executioner, GexFan24464, XmarX

Now that's an excellent set of mapper names, my favorite being The Xizzler! Totally not biased!

Map name: Slimy Satisfaction (Google Drive)
Author: Death Bear
Music: "Nuke Daddy" by Death Bear
Restrictions: 1024x1024 or smaller map size, 3 textures and 3 flats, Hitscan enemies only
Notes: Small little nukebase with only rat-a-tats. Enjoy.

Map name: Fair play for shotguns

Author: dyshoria

Music: corpse party 98 theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mP-NlTE21k&list=PLwbPApvB9fen_Oi7CYRRl0RFN2qokRS3n&index=2

Restrictions: 64 grid size, A lot of barrels and 1 demon type(shotgunners)

Notes: Quite glad on how this came out. As someone who constantly changes grid size this was a fair challenge to both make playable and look good.

fpfs.zip

Posted (edited)

Map name: A Maze In Crates
Author: CBM
Music: "Godless Industry" by AD 79
Restrictions: 1024x1024 or smaller map size, grid size of 64, Only 1 monster type (cacodemon)
Notes: Small map made entirely from crates. My first all crate map.

Download: https://doomshack.org/uploads/amaze-in-crates.wad

Edited by CBM

update to previous. realised i still had a few lines to torture the engine with.

Map name: her eyes point upwards to a better future in a pristine city of stars
Author: akolai
Music: soilscraper by yakfak
Restrictions: all from first list + barrels
Notes: cl21 speedmap shitpost. includes unpleasant sector fuckery.
heputabfiapcosv2.zip

Posted (edited)

@MFG38 It is okay to make a puzzle map, with a very few platforming, or even without platforming? I'm still thinking which restrictions to pick.

P.S. I pass this project so maybe someone want make a good puzzle map.

Edited by riderr3

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2024 at 12:43 PM, CBM said:

Restrictions: 1024x1024 or smaller map size, grid size of 64, Only 1 monster type (cacodemon)

Download: https://doomshack.org/uploads/amaze-in-crates.wad

update to my map, new download link... https://doomshack.org/uploads/cbm_a-maze-in-crates.wad

Edited by CBM
download link updated

On 3/11/2024 at 1:43 PM, CBM said:

I'm afraid this map doesn't qualify because I don't see a restriction from the second list.

On 3/11/2024 at 5:32 PM, riderr3 said:

@MFG38 It is okay to make a puzzle map, with a very few platforming, or even without platforming?

Well, my implication with the puzzle/platforming restriction was to have the map be one or the other, so...

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2024 at 5:28 PM, MFG38 said:

I'm afraid this map doesn't qualify because I don't see a restriction from the second list.

Well, my implication with the puzzle/platforming restriction was to have the map be one or the other, so...

ah damn, hold on, I will try to implement one of the restrictions from the secondary list then:

A bunch of explosive barrels

Restrictions: 1024x1024 or smaller map size, grid size of 64, Only 1 monster type (cacodemon), A bunch of explosive barrels (240 barrels)

Download: https://doomshack.org/uploads/cbm_a_maze_in_crates_240_barrels_edition.wad

Edited by CBM

Posted (edited)

Map name: Molybdaenum.

Author: Shove82

Music: Space Cuisine by James Paddock

Restrictions: 1024x1024, three textures/flats and some barrels.

Notes: Short one room map.

molybdaenum.zip

Edited by Shove82

Map name: Hitscan fortress (link)

Author: Niloquì

Music: D_ULTIMA

Restrictions: 10 sectors or less, Grid size of 64, Sector special 10, Hitscan enemies only

Notes: Pew pew map

Posted (edited)

I'm working on a big project at the moment, but this sounds like way too much fun not to get involved. Hmm...

I'll go with...

• 3 textures and 3 flats
  • 1024 x 1024 map size
  • 1 monster type (hey, an extra restriction! Why not? :-P)
  • A bunch of explosive barrels.

I'm used to working in UDMF these days, so switching to another format will be interesting.

EDIT:

Well, I've made a start. Restrictions bring out my creative side. So far it's promising but lacking something - I'll give it a bit of thought and see how it develops. No name as yet.

Edited by Artinum

@MFG38 are you gonna use UMAPINFO for the sky textures or do we have to use sky transfer?

1 minute ago, SuyaSSS said:

@MFG38 are you gonna use UMAPINFO for the sky textures or do we have to use sky transfer?

Sky transfer is preferable so that DoomMake knows which textures to copy without me needing to edit the .wad file manually after running it. I will write up a UMAPINFO, but it'll be chiefly for the map names.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Sky transfer is preferable so that DoomMake knows which textures to copy without me needing to edit the .wad file manually after running it. I will write up a UMAPINFO, but it'll be chiefly for the map names.

so in the 3 textures rule, does the sky texture for transfer count as 1 texture or not.

Edited by SuyaSSS

Just now, SuyaSSS said:

so in the 3 textures rule, does a sky texture count as 1 texture or not.

Sky textures are exempt from that rule, with the caveat that you can only use one.

5 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Sky textures are exempt from that rule, with the caveat that you can only use one.

Ok thanks