[Submissions closed!] McDoomguy's Slaughterific Sample Platter - Pick your restrictions and have at it!

Map name: exitspace_
Author: akolai
Music: let loose the carpet cleaners, by fuzzball
Restrictions: all from first + pacifist puzzle/platforming with a hitscan enemy
Notes: cl21 speedmap shitpost. mock2 map15 inspired. i resorted to more senseless linedef torture to pad the count. textures: EXITSIGN, FIREBLU1, ALLBLACK. flats: ALLBLAKF, CITYF01, GRAYSLM1. pick whichever second category restriction you think suits this best.
exitspace_.zip

Map name: Burnt Rock Food

Author: Kinatuk

Music: Reshiram Battle Theme from vgmusic

Restrictions: 

- 3 textures and 3 flats (TEX: BIGDOORF, ROCK7, SUPP316A. FLAT: F_SKY1, LAVA1, GROUND06.)

- No orthogonal lines

- Sector special 10 

Notes: I'll be away from my laptop till 5 April so I had quickly completed this map today. Difficulty settings are implemented.

Screenshot:

Spoiler

NhXYHBF.png

slaughterplatter.wad

Map name: Oxide.

Author: Shove82.

Music: Nonagon by James Paddock.

Restrictions: 1024x1024, three textures/flats and some barrles.

Notes: My third map for this project! Rather tight and hard map. Difficulty settings implemented on this one.

oxide.zip

Posted (edited)

Map name: Figure it out.

Author: CBM.

Music: workhorse by ad_79.

Restrictions: 1024x1024, grid size 64, Sector special 10 and some barrels.

Difficulty settings: Yes

Notes: My second map for this project! A speedmap with several ways to complete it.

Download: https://doomshack.org/uploads/figure-it-out.wad

Edited by CBM
spelling error

Posted (edited)

@MFG38

when I search for orthogonal lines then I get conflicting information... what do you consider to be orthogonal lines?

lines a and c or line b?

orthogonal-lines.png

_

also you should consider adding a restriction that require the mapper to only use orthogonal lines because being limited to either line type is a challenge.. something like "oops all orthogonal lines" or "orthogonal lines only" or similar

Edited by CBM

Map name: Barrelling Along
Author: Artinum
Music: "Zero" by Emperor S P O O N.
Restrictions: 1024 x 1024 map size, 1 monster type (Imp), 3 textures (SILVER1, SHAWN2, EXITSTON) and 3 flats (FLOOR6_2, CEIL5_1, FLAT14), a bunch of explosive barrels.
Notes: Short and simple, but pretty tight. Remember, barrels can be hazardous to your health! Difficulty levels are implemented.

Barrelling Along.zip

On 2/22/2024 at 4:14 PM, MFG38 said:
  • 10 sectors or less 

I'm experimenting with a second map that uses this restriction, and I have a question - are we limited to ten literal sector blocks, or are you counting them as UDB would count them? What happens if you Join two sectors that aren't directly connected? Do they then count as one sector, or still two?

29 minutes ago, CBM said:

@MFG38

when I search for orthogonal lines then I get conflicting information... what do you consider to be orthogonal lines?

lines a and c or line b?

Based off of that visualization, lines A and C would be considered orthogonal.

5 minutes ago, Artinum said:

are we limited to ten literal sector blocks, or are you counting them as UDB would count them?

Same principle applies as in past community projects with the restriction - 10 sectors as far as the Doom engine understands them. Meaning that joined sectors will count as a single sector.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Based off of that visualization, lines A and C would be considered orthogonal.

Same principle applies as in past community projects with the restriction - 10 sectors as far as the Doom engine understands them. Meaning that joined sectors will count as a single sector.

ok so the math definition, I have been reading the following definitions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonality

http://www.creativeglossary.com/art-perspective/orthogonal-lines.html

in this image both a and b can be considered to be orthogonal lines .. but as I understand it, the restriction refers to a only? or does it refer to lines not being able to meet at a 90 degree angle?
orthogonal-lines2.png

Edited by CBM

Orthogonal lines are basically "lines at right angles to each other".

The artistic version could be confusing because those lines are at right angles within the portrayed world. They aren't as drawn on the paper (or seen on screen in this case).

The earlier image with a, b, c lines is a 2D representation of a 3D vertex. Line b is perpendicular to a and c within three dimensions, but not as a 2D image.

For Doom maps, we don't have any choice about perpendicularity in the Z plane. Heights are always at right angles to sectors (at least in this format - no slopes here). But we can avoid right angles in the 2D map view, and that's what the challenge is looking for.

Best I understand it all, anyway. :)

58 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

That's going to make my mapping a lot easier. :)

16 minutes ago, CBM said:

in this image both a and b can be considered to be orthogonal lines .. but as I understand it, the restriction refers to a only?

Essentially, yeah. Think of the restriction as "no lines pointing straight in the 4 cardinal directions".

Map name: Voodoo Dolls Trapped With Explosives

Author: Plerb

Music: Warkanoid#46 by Vakhtang Adamiya, from Warkanoid

Restrictions: 3 textures and flats, 100 lines, monsterless puzzle, barrels o' fun

Notes: It contains a UMAPINFO lump just to set the sky. Sometimes you can get in a half-dead state because of voodoo doll shenanigans, if anyone knows a good way to work around this please let me know.

Voodoo Dolls Trapped With Explosives.zip

Posted (edited)

Map name: Restricted.

Author: CBM.

Music: fuel by ad_79.

Restrictions: 100 lines or less, 10 sectors or less, 3 textures and 3 flats, 1024x1024, No orthogonal lines, Only 1 monster type, Grid size of 64

Hitscan enemies only, A bunch of explosive barrels, Sector special 10

Difficulty settings: Yes

Notes: My third map for this project! A speedmap.

Download: https://doomshack.org/uploads/cbm-restricted.wad

Edited by CBM

1 hour ago, CBM said:

Restrictions: 100 lines or less, 10 sectors or less, 3 textures and 3 flats, 1024x1024, No orthogonal lines, Only 1 monster type, Grid size of 64

Hitscan enemies only, A bunch of explosive barrels,Sector special 10 

Damn, that's ambitious. I was considering a level with a lot of the restrictions in it, but you've gone even further!

So far I've been experimenting with two ideas for 10 sector maps and neither of them really works. Now considering something even crazier...

8 hours ago, Plerb said:

Map name: Voodoo Dolls Trapped With Explosives

Love the concept in this one!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Artinum said:

Damn, that's ambitious. I was considering a level with a lot of the restrictions in it, but you've gone even further!

So far I've been experimenting with two ideas for 10 sector maps and neither of them really works. Now considering something even crazier...

Thanks but the map is also heavily marked by its restrictions lol.

I am very curious regarding what you come up with.

Edited by CBM

Map name: Felix Baumgartner, I Presume?
Music: "Waiting for Romero to Play" by Bobby Prince.
Restrictions: 1024 x 1024 map size, Grid size of 64, 3 textures and 3 flats, 100 lines or less, 10 sectors or less, Monsterless puzzle/platforming map.
Notes: Very silly and very simple. Not suitable for players who suffer from vertigo.

Felix Baumgartner, I Presume.zip

23 hours ago, Artinum said:

I'm experimenting with a second map that uses this restriction, and I have a question - are we limited to ten literal sector blocks, or are you counting them as UDB would count them? What happens if you Join two sectors that aren't directly connected? Do they then count as one sector, or still two?

I have no idea how @MFG38 is going to rule on that but in the old community project, merged sectors counted as a single sector. In my most recent map I just have 10 sectors and no merged sectors.

1 hour ago, CBM said:

I have no idea how @MFG38 is going to rule on that but in the old community project, merged sectors counted as a single sector. In my most recent map I just have 10 sectors and no merged sectors.

MFG38 already said pretty much that.

On 3/19/2024 at 1:05 PM, MFG38 said:

Hi i have a question 

Does the 64 grid limit applies also for items placement ? 

6 minutes ago, Beubeu said:

Hi i have a question 

Does the 64 grid limit applies also for items placement ? 

Nope, just vertices.

Posted (edited)

And for your playing pleasure(?), two maps from Yours Truly.

mfg_mcdoom_m1.zip:

Map name: Egypt Map
Author: MFG38
Music: MUS conversion of 21.HMI from Daggerfall (taken from Scythe 2)
Restrictions: Grid size of 64, 1 monster type, pacifist map
Notes: N/A

mfg_mcdoom_m2.zip:

Map name: Tightrope II: Electric Fuckaloo
Author: MFG38
Music: Running from Evil
Restrictions: 4 sectors, 1024x1024, 3 textures and 3 flats, no orthogonal lines, platforming map
Notes: N/A
Edited by MFG38

Map name: Half a Minute!
Music: "Bye Bye American Pie" by Bobby Prince.
Restrictions: 100 lines or less, 10 sectors or less, 3 textures and 3 flats, 1024x1024 or smaller map size, Only 1 monster type, Grid size of 64 (applies to vertices only), Pacifist map (well, unless the player ignores that and goes wild with their pistol!), Hitscan enemies only, A bunch of explosive barrels, Sector special 10 (a door closes after 30 seconds).
Notes: My third and final submission. It's not quite as silly as my second, but I just wanted to throw in as many restrictions as I could and see what came out of it.

Half A Minute.zip

3 hours ago, MFG38 said:

And for your playing pleasure(?), two maps from Yours Truly.

Map 1 is really good. Atmospheric, very tense, and quite difficult, though I figured out the idea fairly quickly. So many crushers!

Map 2... I've never been a fan of platform levels. I liked the crazy shapes, though.

Map name: Reality is broken
Author: Amiga Angel
Music: "26" by AD_79.
Restrictions: 1024x1024, Only 1 monster type (former sergeant), A bunch of explosive barrels, hitscan only.
Notes: Reality has broken down, you pulled a wrong lever in your tardis tank or something, so you need to get back to it to set things right again.

Download: https://doomshack.org/uploads/amiga-angel_reality-is-broken.wad

9 hours ago, Amiga Angel said:

Map name: Reality is broken

12 hours ago, Amiga Angel said:

Map name: Royal Flush

Two very fun little maps. I am in awe of your ability to make sector trucks and the like.

The trees in "Royal Flush" were particularly neat - I may have to crack that one open in UDB to see what you did there.

10 hours ago, Artinum said:

Two very fun little maps. I am in awe of your ability to make sector trucks and the like.

The trees in "Royal Flush" were particularly neat - I may have to crack that one open in UDB to see what you did there.

I love the gimmicks you are able to create in your maps.