Reducing Tracking of Revenant Missiles

Skunkbear

Question

Hello All,

Is there an easy way to reduce the tracking/homing amount of a revenant's missile? Ideally, I'm looking to make Revenants fire a homing missile every single time (rather than 50%), but with only half the homing amount, so they're easier to dodge. I've tried redefining the Revenant Tracer actor in Slade but it doesn't seem to be having any effect. I'd be grateful if someone could show me the correct code/ACS to do this.

This is for GZDoom. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Skunkbear

5 answers to this question

This behavior happens because of how A_Tracer() works.

So you have basically 2 options here:

• Keep on using A_Tracer() but change the tics it gets called (like in the examples in the wiki page I shared)
  • Call for A_SeekerMissile, that will also let you change the missile max turning angle.

Of course, you need to do this changes in a DECORATE/ZSCRIPT lump, replacing the RevenantTracer class and changing its Spawn state

Edited by Kan3

What source port/compatibility level are you aiming for? you said ACS so I assume GZDoom

its actually a 50% chance of 75/25 homing or non homing depending on the wake up frame of the rev.. see decino's monster vid for code junk...

6 hours ago, plums said:

What source port/compatibility level are you aiming for? you said ACS so I assume GZDoom

Yes, this is for GZDoom (have edited my post).

2 hours ago, Kan3 said:

This behavior happens because of how A_Tracer() works.

So you have basically 2 options here:

• Keep on using A_Tracer() but change the tics it gets called (like in the examples in the wiki page I shared)
  • Call for A_SeekerMissile, that will also let you change the missile max turning angle.

Of course, you need to do this changes in a DECORATE/ZSCRIPT lump, replacing the RevenantTracer class and changing its Spawn state

Thanks, I managed to get it working (roughly) using the A_Tracer() method. Only problem is it homes a little bit less than I'd originally wanted, and doesn't seem to emit as much puff smoke. I'd tried doing this yesterday but turns out I'd completely forgotten to actually replace the relevant actor in my MAPINFO lump.

For anyone else looking to do something similar, the actor definition I used is as follows:

ACTOR NewRevenantTracer : RevenantTracer 9491
{
  Radius 11
  Height 8
  Speed 10
  Damage 10
  Projectile
  +SEEKERMISSILE
  SeeSound "skeleton/attack"
  DeathSound "skeleton/tracex"
  RenderStyle Add
  States