Romero’s Doom II WAD: HELLION. Coming soon…ish?

17 hours ago, Individualised said:

DoomEd wasn't released until 2015, all community editors were built from scratch.

I explained it wrong, what I meant was some elements about DoomEd were known well before it was ever released (like the way it generated linedefs,) the editors developed were able to avoid some of those issues. Even some of the earliest ones, like DeHackEd, made improvements there. (Although some of the issues with DoomEd were due to the WAD format changing during development).

11 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Oh, it's definitely going to be a megawad. The question is whether he'll have folks like Dario Casali and Tom Hall to provide the secret maps or whatever. From everything I can tell in the streams, he's aiming for full-length if nothing else, although honestly....it would prove impractical to get out before Doom II's anniversary. Good things come to those who wait and so on and so forth though.

It pays off to have community members better informed than I am, thanks for this. I'd much rather have Hellion miss the anniversary and be more polished than hitting the anniversary and being rough around the edges. As far as having Casali and Hall contributing, that would be a very welcome surprise. I don't know what their relationship with Romero is like at the moment. In the case of Hall, I'm certain that any animosities associated with his departure from id back in the day have been long buried. On a related note, it would also be very nice if maybe Sandy Petersen could make some levels, hopefully without too many arrows on the map 😅

2 hours ago, DreadWanderer said:

it would also be very nice if maybe Sandy Petersen could make some levels, hopefully without too many arrows on the map

How many times did he actually do this?

2 hours ago, Jayextee said:

How many times did he actually do this?

For what i remember... 2 times, in Slough of Despair and Downtown.

It's quite weird to make fun of Sandy using arrows when even Jhon romero did that in e1m6 and map 15. I guess it's because they're less obvious or whatever.

On 3/8/2024 at 6:09 PM, Individualised said:

DoomEd wasn't released until 2015, all community editors were built from scratch.

This is very interesting, just the other day i played an episode replacement for Doom, from 1996 and in the txt file the author claims to have used DoomEd. I was like, wait second, was that even available back then? I wasn't sure until you confirmed my suspicion.

The episode in question - https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/d-f/debut_ep

Was there a community DoomEd knock-off with the same name back then, or this author could have got his hands on the real one somehow?

55 minutes ago, Tangra said:

Was there a community DoomEd knock-off with the same name back then,

Yes! (https://doomwiki.org/wiki/DoomEd_4.2)

4 hours ago, DankMetal said:

For what i remember... 2 times, in Slough of Despair and Downtown.

It's quite weird to make fun of Sandy using arrows when even Jhon romero did that in e1m6 and map 15. I guess it's because they're less obvious or whatever.

My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, more so given that I've seen arrows being used in the work of modern mappers too. 

On 3/7/2024 at 11:20 AM, Plerb said:

I hope Romero brings some other classic IWAD mappers on board. Tom Hall and Dario Casali seem to be the most likely candidates as both of them have expressed interest in mapping again. That would be so cool.

imagine if Romero gets Gregor Punchatz on board for some new "official" doom enemies. Probably won't happen tough. 

54 minutes ago, St. Mildly Annoyed said:

imagine if Romero gets Gregor Punchatz on board for some new "official" doom enemies. Probably won't happen tough. 

Haha that would be wild!

Most of the monsters were designed by Adrian. Punchatz may have designed the Mancubus, and potentially the Revenant since its design is nothing like Adrian’s sketch, but that’s it. His models wouldn’t be particularly helpful without the digitization process they used back then and it’s still a ton of work to clean the sprites up - if you look at the process they basically had to completely draw over the photos in the end.

If Romero wants a new enemy or enemies - which I sincerely doubt he does - the obvious solution would be to commission Amuscaria, Cage, or DrPyspy.

Not to derail the topic from Classic Doom, but Punchatz did at least have any involvement with the Doom 64 enemies design. It'd be nice to see him work with the likes of Craneo, Pyspy, and Team GEC.

On the topic of Romero, what about Quake? Will he ever make anything new for it at least?

5 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

Most of the monsters were designed by Adrian. Punchatz may have designed the Mancubus, and potentially the Revenant since its design is nothing like Adrian’s sketch, but that’s it. His models wouldn’t be particularly helpful without the digitization process they used back then and it’s still a ton of work to clean the sprites up - if you look at the process they basically had to completely draw over the photos in the end.

If Romero wants a new enemy or enemies - which I sincerely doubt he does - the obvious solution would be to commission Amuscaria, Cage, or DrPyspy.

Hell yeah, Cage’s work in Supplice is especially divine!

23 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Not to derail the topic from Classic Doom, but Punchatz did at least have any involvement with the Doom 64 enemies design. It'd be nice to see him work with the likes of Craneo, Pyspy, and Team GEC.

On the topic of Romero, what about Quake? Will he ever make anything new for it at least?

New Romero Quake would be tight.

17 hours ago, EduardoAndFriends said:

New Romero Quake would be tight.

That's literally the plan when he finishes Hellion.

• 3 weeks later...

If Romero is making a wad, I don’t care if it’s Doom 1 or 2, I’m gonna cough up eight bucks for the full experience. 

I know this has been said and will be said for a while, but I’m really interested to see what Romero does with Doom 2. More options, enemies, and another weapon can really open the door to all kinds of new setups, and boy am I looking forward to seeing what he makes. 
Giving him a limitless source port and Ultimate Doombuilder was the best idea anybody’s had in a long time. Can’t wait to see what his delightfully twisted mind comes up with next.

On 3/12/2024 at 2:44 PM, LadyMistDragon said:

That's literally the plan when he finishes Hellion.

I'm actually more excited for this than I am for Hellion!!

19 minutes ago, june gloom said:

I'm actually more excited for this than I am for Hellion!!

Same haha! I’m on a massive Quake high right now and that would be INSANE.

2 hours ago, Bedingungsl.Grundeinkommen said:

There was this 33rd anniversary of id stream not long ago and when mentioning HELLION, Romero gave a reaction that hinted he might find it difficult to finish HELLION by the time it's supposed to be done.

Understandable. It would be a huge undertaking!