Crate Expectations - NOW on IDGAMES! Full megawad of wacky surprising challenges!

Posted (edited)

Congrats Clippy, great to see!

I use only crates as placeholder textures, so this is well up my alley! lol

Edited by Arrowhead

"There's definitely something here for at least everybody" is one of the greatest quotes I have ever heard.. and it's true

Having playtested several maps from this set, I can say they are a lot of fun and I hope people check it out. If you need a break from more traditional Doom, these lean into gimmicks/concept-based without any one thing outstaying its welcome, striking a good balance between gameplay you're used to and a constant offering of surprises. I've often seen it noted that modern Doom has a distinct lack of levity in it, and this WAD is going to be just what the doctor ordered if that's where your head is at these days.

Posted (edited)

I know I said I wasn't gonna start this until I was done with mapping stuff, but I really couldn't help myself

Spoiler

First two maps are perfect for first two maps: MAP01 gets you started with baby's first boxes, MAP02 starts introducing a bit more strategizing with them already ("I want those goodies up top, but then I'll lose all my cover!")  Blowing up all those archies was a riot.  I accidentally left before getting to go secret hunting though :.(  Lots of great secreting in both of these, as to be expected from a Clippy set by now, and even if I'm balls at finding secrets it's still delightful looking and knowing there's so many around.  Maps look awesome too, vibrant and stylish even with what I already suspect are very simple themes compared to what's to come.

I've only started on MAP03 and got my ass rather kicked (HMP on this playthrough, I'll have it once I give it another go or three), but I love the idea and the journey from my little boat.  What a peaceful night on this island, surely nothing could go wrong over there

I'm only 3 maps in but I haven't been tickled like this since Going Down.  Honestly well done

Edited by Stupid Bunny

I'm up to map 7 so far (pistol starting on UV, but with saves), and this is some crazy shtuff! No bugs so far that I found (playing with DSDA). I've been able to get 100% kills on every map, but boy am I bad at finding secrets (the most I found was 3/6 on map03).  I think map 04 (my favorite so far, and I liked map06 a lot as well) is where I embraced the zaniness and got into the proper mindset, and I'm now fully onboard for whatever these maps are going to throw at me! I haven't been introduced to all the crate mechanics yet, but I'm very interested in how they will be used going forward!

Also, congrats on the release as well! You've clearly put a lot of time and effort into this and from what I've seen so far, also significantly upped your game when it comes to the complexity of the maps themselves. They still have your signature style, but you can tell your pushing things as far as they'll go within the DOOM 2 format.

I can't begin to express my gratitude for the support and replies so far 

I'm truly touched 

You guys are AWESOME!

I'll come back later to reply harder but just wanted to express my sincere thanks

Played the first 5 or 6 maps already. Interestng stuff. After some investigation, I was able to find all the secrets in MAP 01, but I wasn't quite as successful on subsequent maps, especially the "Doors" map. And I remain quite stumped on how to get the BFG in the explodotron 3000 or whatever map.

6 hours ago, Clippy said:

I can't begin to express my gratitude for the support and replies so far 

I'm truly touched 

You guys are AWESOME!

I'll come back later to reply harder but just wanted to express my sincere thanks

Mate, you more I think about it the more I realise again and again how bloody fun everything is. And that’s the best of Doom in my book. 🍗 

I was going to record myself playing, but I gave up on map 6. Although I can appreciate the creativity and effort that goes into this megawad, I'm afraid it's not for me. It borders on being a troll wad and playing it brings up the same feelings in me as playing The sky may be.

Best thing to happen recently, amazing job! I was glad to test this project. Really unique and varied maps. Thanks Clippy! Looking forward to next project and hope you will win a Cacoward. 

Hey Clipman, love me some crates! I did the UAC Storage Surplus Project and enjoyed that quite a bit.

(can't wait to tackle }:) )

Posted (edited)

Alright, so I reached the half point, 16th map and I really do enjoy it so far! Amazing experience. Can't wait to play the second half.

I like the concepts like exploding crates it is fun time

Spoiler

Video isn't there though because I'm too dumb to not leak personal information druing recording :D

Edited by Pezl

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Pezl said:

Video isn't there though because I'm too dumb to not leak personal information druing recording :D

That's me man I'm always like "Great map, the monster count really reminds me of my bank account number"

Anyway the journey continues

Spoiler

MAP03: Like I said before, storming the beaches was lots of fun, though was kind of less fun once I was on the island fighting one boxed monster at a time (guess I could've tried getting them to infight) and fidgeting around in the dark with not enough ammo.  At least got to read what the white crate does before getting a revenant missile to the ass.  Think I got killed by a caco at the end but thankfully had already activated the exit so the end result was the same, lol

MAP04: 100% back on track now, so many great tricks and traps and the Baron Door thing felt like a Doomguy in Wonderland fever dream of some sort.  Wisely constructed so that the map killed like 95% of the Barons for me, which with the tight layout and sudden appearances made the barons both threatening and non-tedious which is opposite of what they often achieve in maps

MAP05: Absolute madness and confusion. 11/10 I loved it

Edited by Stupid Bunny

Alright guys, on this rainy crappy day, finally have a chance to write back to all you fine ppl. Since I released this I been a lil busy - hanging out with buddies n such - yesterday I got to use my father in law's car and it has soooo many buttons. I drove the crap out of it countryside through snowy wacky terrain, farmlands and such - a real good time, I feel bad cause I returned it filthy. But my uncle in law showed me a new card game called Spite and Malice - was pretty fun - and I saw a deer!

Anyway Im gunna say a lot of things, too much to proof read but here goes

@Biodegradable first reply lol - kudos - can you believe I finally got it done? It kind of consumed me but I had to finish this damn thing. I had so much pep and vinegar at the start but yeah - now its like a major load off eh - feels good to get it out there. I think I'll take a break from mapping for a bit after this, it damn near almost became a full time job. I'll come back for Ramp unless something else sparks my interest. But sure as shit never making a full on megawad like this again LOL. A YEAR bud. yeah - I am very happy with this tho - but its almost certainly my final megawad. Single releases, community contributions or small sets if anything after this. Now that I got this project done and almost 40 - I want to step back a lot from sitting on my ass - doom making and playing, get back in touch with nature and get active again - this project almost killed me - I need to hug a tree haha - have a good 1

@Stupid Bunny Good point, become a box and then get out of the box, and make more boxes. When life gives you boxes ... you clone those boxes .. and make ... SUPER boxes. My cat Conky literally just jumped into a box as I'm typing this. I'll meet you again further down.

@Arrowhead My megawad same day release buddy. What are the chances huh? I hope ppl check out your deathmatch collection - too bad I suck at deathmatch but there's def a market for that. I know some deathmatch lovers, will recommend it. And yeah, only until now I used crates as just things to be around as well, not sure how I came up with interactive crates - at this point I dont even remember - but it was fun coming up with the stuff. 

@plums Spin it like your avatar buddy - thank you! I used to work at a grocery store and this old man just took a plum out of produce section and ate it - didnt give a fuck lol. Walking around, CHOMP - who does that? That's the only plum story I have.

@Doomy__Doom I went through a few iterations of names lol - originally crate scott but then crate escape once I started putting maps together. I never bother changed the file name. It doesn't really make sense anyhow. Crate Expectations seemed to fit best and landed, I tried other things - this set was almost called "With Crate Pleasure..." LOL - yeah we had fun coming up with puns and such. As for the filename, dont pay it any bother. I'll probably just keep it to confuse ppl, that & IDGAMES only allwas 12 character filesizes

@OniriA - that is a nice little graphic, thank you - love it - will find a way to use it somehow - already put it in my slideshow folder if I ever stream again

@Doomkid - nice to see ya buddy - that quote - yeah - I'm not good at scripting / advance planning - all these maps were off the cuff with no things written down (besides just map names) - I just go in and hope for the best. Same with trailer - 5 hrs of footage while playtesting condensed. I slapped my mic on and said a bunch of stuff and edited out any pauses - I didn't realize how that sentence was but its there now - glad I amused ya lol - and thanks again for the kind words, encouragement, behind the scenes help along the way - you're good ppl 

@EduardoAndFriends You totally did make the coke/pepsi - thanks man - also for playtesting and praise - glad you had fun. Turns out everyone likes dr pepper but nothing beats the classic coke and pepsi rivalry - how do YOU want to get YOUR diabetes?

@video_ouija - Thanks for testing out tonight, which was last night - how did it go? Hopefully decent - have a good 1!

@LVENdead - I have to say, truly, your words are the best words of the words. I'm not the best at words - but your description was alluring and captured the true essence of what I was going for, better than I ever could have myself - and I thank you. I was actually touched. Very much appreciate that man - thanks for all the support and friendship - another grade A human being hazelnut onion man

@Stupid Bunny and we're back! Thanks for taking the time from your own project to have a gander. I know what it's like since we are so similar - making a wacky off stream megawad - its hard to find time to play other ppls stuff. Hell I only did 5 playthru vids all year and thats unheard of for me. Glad you enjoyed the first 3 - yeah I was worried that map 1 wasnt much of an offering - and hope 3 isnt too hard - there is the stuff there needed - just takes some lookin - and my secrets - maybe I should have gone easy on the first few maps but I love hiding stuff in doom - its one of my most favourite things. But all these maps can be beaten without em, I made sure of that.  Glad you were tickled - most tickle since going down? Maybe lets not get carried away haha but thanks for the compliment :P - see you again gain further down

@LerxstInWonderland Now this is a surprise - haven't seen you around in a while - with over 3000 vids I still remember your maps bud - interesting hellish well crafted high pressure maps - evil stuff haha - but in a good way! Embrace the zanieness hahah probably a good way to go - im trying to do something different but still playable and engaging - secrets are never needed but yeah- I have an over the top secret hiding disorder it seems. And my goal was to see how much I could do with doom 2 format - I still found many limits in limit removing but making these discoveries and trials and errors was fun, got me thinkin - anywho just glad you had a good time and nice to see ya

@Clippy thanks for making that reply before I could make this reply so ppl didn't think I was ignoring them. Think we should have shake and bake chicken wings tonights bud?

@Stabbey STABBEY! Another blast from the past! kudos on finding all the map 1 secrets - legit - I hid them way too absurdly especially for map 1 but I seem to have no self restraint haha - "explodotron 3000 or whatever map" LOL I assume you mean map 6? Think green evil eye to the far left - or just use an editor and cheat - I'm fine with ppl lookin under the hood

@Delisk - nice to always see ya around playing ppls maps with your wacky mods - which I am so glad worked - I worry about mods cause I seen others lag on this set. Design wise I only built it around traditional play, but I'm happy to see ppl play em however they want and this was actually a fun watch - my fave part was when that lil buddy of yours and you were falling down the baron door drop and they fell with ya and beat you to the bottom

@EduardoAndFriends again - thanks for chicken leg and additional compliment - I can tell you really did have fun and that puts a smile on my face

@RataUnderground I never heard of this the sky may be so I had to ask about it - from what I understand its just meant to be a full on troll and broken on purpose - thats not quite what I was going for here - in fact LVENdead's post above sums it up best. I wanted to challenge ppl but still keep it as fair as I could without any over all BS - just wacky out of the box ideas. But I know thats not for everyone - but if you're looking for traditional play, yeah you came to the wrong place haha. Thanks anyway for trying and providing your honest feedback

@dragzxnd I'm glad you tested this project too - you were the first to send me footage of many maps - thanks for being a Guinea pig - I know in your YT world you play quite literally EVERYTHING to come out - so your feedback really stands out to me - I know you've literally seen it all and my goal was to deviate from norm. This project almost killed me so whatever I make next, nothing will be this grandiose ever haha - It's too much work to make a one man megawad - I'm still glad I did tho but yeah Im going to take it much easier after this now that I got this craziness out of my system 

@LoatharMDPhD // I never know what you're saying. Hi. Hope you're doing well

@TheShep Nice fellow crate enthusiast, unfortunately I never found my way to the project you mentioned but mapping is fun isnt it - good luck if you ever tackle these and thanks for stopping by

@Pistoolkip Thanks for hype - I put all my insanity into this - every drop - I'm sane now. Good luck on your own megawad as well - looks like I won the race afterall but wasn't expecting to. Hope to check out yours too when the time comes - good luck!

@LoatharMDPhD // which walkable midtexture did you rub on me? The blender in map 6? lol - if only it really blended - the circle of death in map 3 I mean, yeah it's a slight burn - but I filled it with corpses n such to make you think it could be a danger - why would you think there would be candy here? You can just buy that at a store

@Pezl Whoa half way played already huh? Good times hope it worked ok - no worries about footage man Im just glad you had fun - when I get a chance I will try to check out your newest map as well, hopefully in between another of your 4 month disappearances 

@Stupid Bunny we meet again - maybe I did go a little far in map 3 - I tried to keep adding a little more to it but yeah - crate lineup was an idea I had but maybe not the most engaging gameplay idea - but I tried - many different ways to approach it. The enchanted forest is what darkens the island if you stay out of it you'll be fine. Map 4 was my love / hate final love letter to the baron door cinematic universe. I wanted to make a cathartic feeling map that gave you the best of barons and doors - doors getting their revenge and crushing barons and making a map where really, the doors do most of the work for ya. And map 5 was just a murder party haha - thanks for all the feedback map

This release has gone very well for me so far, I am moved at the feedback - happy nothing broke (yet) and am just so glad to see the community together like this - I'm very happy

Thanks again everyone - I'll try to keep up with any additional replies that come in 

5 minutes ago, Clippy said:

@Stabbey STABBEY! Another blast from the past! kudos on finding all the map 1 secrets - legit - I hid them way too absurdly especially for map 1 but I seem to have no self restraint haha - "explodotron 3000 or whatever map" LOL I assume you mean map 6? Think green evil eye to the far left - or just use an editor and cheat - I'm fine with ppl lookin under the hood

Yeah,I haven't been mapping in a long time, or even playing much Doom.

I did find the green Evil Eye, but the BFG on that map is on a pillar with a secondary lift, so I think I need to somehow lower the outer shell of the pillar so the lift will come all the way down. I was not able to find that. But that's hardly the only secret I've missed.

8 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

Yeah,I haven't been mapping in a long time, or even playing much Doom.

I did find the green Evil Eye, but the BFG on that map is on a pillar with a secondary lift, so I think I need to somehow lower the outer shell of the pillar so the lift will come all the way down. I was not able to find that. But that's hardly the only secret I've missed.

Spoiler

Clipboard01.png

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Clippy said:

@OniriA - that is a nice little graphic, thank you - love it - will find a way to use it somehow - already put it in my slideshow folder if I ever stream again

Aww, you're welcome.

I wanted to make the upper part transparent but then it would also make the eyeballs transparent since they're white.

So I just left the white background (I was also at work).

Edited by OniriA

Posted (edited)

You know you have done an amazing job when you overshadow everyone else for a whole week straight. Gratz and well played.

I echo about your maps being brutal. Still fun, buuuut... I'll try rest of them after I finished something easier :D

Edited by NightRiding Doom