The texture pack for BIGDOOR lovers :)

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Nice! I don't know what I expected but those really are some big doors!

I am honored that Esselfortium made the first comment and likes the BIGDOORs :)

Edited by Meerschweinmann

I have an idea for a little joke map using this, will credit and will post here. Amazing work.

UmSYyIo.png

3 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

I have an idea for a little joke map using this, will credit and will post here. Amazing work.

Thank you. Nice picture ;). I'll be waiting.

Thank you. Yeah, i have decided to make an own thread for future releases, because i don't want to spam the "Show me your textures thread" with more "deleted because i posted newer versions" messages :)

Posted (edited)

I have made some new size variants out of DOOMs SUPPORT3 texture. I thought it is a good idea to combine them in bigger textures, but i am not sure if i should separate them because when editing it could be annoying playing with the alignement feature.

They are available in widths of 8,16,24,32,40,48 and 64 pixels. The 16 wide is available in two variants, because i could not decide what is looking better.

Edit: i have noticed that the bolts from the vertical version should go one pixel down, that they match when combined with the horizontal version.

Now the textures are separated, the bolts of the horizontal versions are turned 90 degrees counterclock and the textures are available in the texture pack

Here is a first look:

etrn22.png.28dfa82fbacf17608dad65e7a08fce06.png

This is good work, please keep at it.

About the support textures, separating them is more convenient for use. 

Even with compositions, there's a distinction between the horizontally tiled ones (left to right) and vertically stacked ones. With the horizontal ones, the mapper can split up the lines with vertices and adjust the alignments, which is not very tricky. With the stacked ones, the mapper can run into awkward situations if they want to use it both an upper and lower texture on the same line (you won't be able to control both alignments, so depending on the height of the sector, one texture will be impossible to align correctly). Or if they want to double-stack (like use two 48-tall supports for a 96-high barrier). A midtex will use the full height of the texture, too, so the full stack will be less convenient that way. That all would limit flexibility a lot more (and force drawing extra sectors sometimes). So those vertical stacks tend to make sense more if the "full" texture is meant to be used as a normal wall texture, which doesn't seem like the case here. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, baja blast rd. said:

About the support textures, separating them is more convenient for use......

I am glad the textures are fine for you. Thank you :)

You are fully correct with every reason you mentioned. I have mentioned too that it is hard to align those horizontal textures as upper/lower textures in classic DOOM-map format. And yes, to use this textures as a full filled wall looks also weird when all size variants are combined into one.

So i made them separate and included them in the updated texture-pack which is downloadable from now on.

And i have turned every bolt of the horizontal versions 90 degrees counterclock to match the vertical versions. That was fun...  :)

The only quirk the vanilla enhanced version has, the 24, 40 and 48 pixel wide support3 vertical versions had to be extended in the texture lump and are not usable as a seemless textures, because those widths won't fit full in 64, 128 or 256 pixels wide.

8 hours ago, devlman127 said:

Very cool, I'd love to see it used in future maps.

I'm also curious when and if one of the BIGDOORs will make it into a mod :)

It's really nice to see a texture pack include doors larger than the good old 128x128 BIGDOORs. I feel having such colossal doors will, and would have been a great use in many maps I have and have yet to see. I'm also planning to use this texture pack right now.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, St. Mildly Annoyed said:

....I'm also planning to use this texture pack right now.

I am glad to read this. I was always thinking that a Spider Mastermind or Cyberdemon needs wider and higher doors to announce there could something big behind that door. But as i had done the 768x256 BIGDOOR i saw that i had gone far beyond that :) 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Added 112 pixel wide BIGDOORS today.

So the sub-128 pixel wide BIGDOORS are available in widths of 80, 96, 112.

64 pixel width is available as SPCDOOR (TDOR/SDOR) variant in this texture pack.

The 80 and 96 pixel wide BIGDOORS got some corrections here and there. The 96 pixel wide BIGDOORs got a small overhaul at the top left corner.

The new texture pack is available for download as version 1.11 at the first post :)

On the left side of the following picture is a green 128x128 standard BIGDOOR for comparision, then followed to the right by 112x112, 96x96, 80x80 and 64x80.

DOOM04.png.707a89bbc41226e196847d1eb2692348.png

Had to update the texture pack once more today, because i had not included the 112 wide BIGDOORs with heights of 80 and 88 pixels.

Now they are in the texture pack.

Posted (edited)

I am beginning to make window frames out of DOOMs MIDSPACE texture in various sizes. Looks better than square holes in walls. A darker version is planned too.

1st and 3rd floor windows are 32x28 pixel grid

2nd floor is a 32x32 pixel grid

The big wide wide MIDSPACE texture at the right part of this picture is a 24x24 pixels grid.

etrn32.png

Posted (edited)

The window-frames created from MIDSPACE-texture named MIDSxxxx and MIDBxxxx are included in the texture pack now. The B version is the dark version.

They are available in grid widths of 16,24 and 32  and grid heights of 16,20,24,28 and 32.

Posted (edited)

Had to update the texture pack again, because the VE edition for Crispy/International DOOM/Woof had the wrong textures lump.

The new window-frames were wrong aligned.

The versions for Eternity Engine and GZDoom have no changes.

I think we might be related. I'm in the big door fan club! Great textures BTW. Definitely gunna use some in the future.

7 minutes ago, PeterMoro said:

I think we might be related. I'm in the big door fan club! Great textures BTW. Definitely gunna use some in the future.

Thank you, you have a nice profile-picture too 😊