Weird cast rollcall issue.

Cacodoomonic

Question

I have a strange issue with my custom rollcall at the end of the game. All my monsters work perfectly fine, for example, the IMP. But when I add an alternate variant of the Imp, using the exact same details, the second Imp flickers and doesnt work properly. For example, sprites flicker and the animation for the attack does not play the sounds correctly. Why? They are both exactly the same. 

These are my MAPINFO lumps.

NORMAL IMP (Works perfectly)

Cast
	{
		CastClass = "DoomImp", 182, true
		CastName = "$CC_IMP", 208
		CastSetResolution = 256, 240
		CastSetFont = "BIGFONT"
		CastTextDraw = "Cast Of Characters", 28, 20
		AttackSound = "Missile", 2, "imp/attack"
	}

My new IMP (flickering sprites and sounds not working properly.)

Cast
	{
		CastClass = "NewDoomImp", 182, true
		CastName = "Fire Imp", 208
		CastSetResolution = 256, 240
		CastSetFont = "BIGFONT"
		CastTextDraw = "Cast Of Characters", 28, 20
		AttackSound = "Missile", 2, "imp/attack"
	}

I cannot understand it. The changes in the two imps are only cosmetic. All the rest should be perfectly compatible but the Fire Imp just doesn't work properly. I don't get it.

3 answers to this question

I had the same issue caused by zero-tic TNT1 states in some custom actors. I changed TNT1 to the actual sprite names, and that fixed the issue. Not sure if that’s what you’re experiencing though. 

Andarch

The DANDY Company

On 3/12/2024 at 3:27 AM, The DANDY Company said:

I had the same issue caused by zero-tic TNT1 states in some custom actors. I changed TNT1 to the actual sprite names, and that fixed the issue. Not sure if that’s what you’re experiencing though. 

Andarch

The DANDY Company

Ah. This sounds quite possible. But if I change the TNT1 states in the actors, will that not mess up the entire thing? Does it not have to be TNT1 in order to work or am I mistaken?

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2024 at 7:13 PM, Cacodoomonic said:

Ah. This sounds quite possible. But if I change the TNT1 states in the actors, will that not mess up the entire thing? Does it not have to be TNT1 in order to work or am I mistaken?

I think if you change them to the sprite name and leave them 0 in length and it should still work.

Edited by The DANDY Company