Doom 2 In City Only [Now on idgames]

On 3/22/2024 at 4:26 AM, myolden said:

Jumping (and in some cases freelook) will break progression on several maps. 

How can freelook break progression in a map?  Shooting something you're not meant to be able to shoot until you're at a higher elevation?

12 minutes ago, invictius said:

How can freelook break progression in a map?  Shooting something you're not meant to be able to shoot until you're at a higher elevation?

That's one way (or you could just break stuff by exploiting the SSG's vertical spread). You could also use freelook and infinite vertical splash range to kill monsters in pop-up pits before they get triggered.

6 hours ago, invictius said:

MAP05 has a secret that is normally triggered by hitting a shoot-switch that's at foot level by finding a transitional ledge and standing on that.

started playing map01 quite hard but good stuff so far hopefully it doesnt get too slaughterfest-y

however the phone booths look a bit big and i feel a little short for a doom marine

How might this wad break if I use it on a port without mbf21?  I loaded up a level just fine on prboomx.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, invictius said:

How might this wad break if I use it on a port without mbf21?  I loaded up a level just fine on prboomx.

It will break on any map that uses MBF21 features, such as kill floors or MBF21 specific line flags (block land monsters or players). Something will break sooner rather than later, for instance I'm pretty sure Map 03 uses MBF21 line flags.

Edited by taviow

18 minutes ago, taviow said:

It will break on any map that uses MBF21 features, such as kill floors or MBF21 specific line flags (block land monsters or players). Something will break sooner rather than later, for instance I'm pretty sure Map 03 uses MBF21 line flags.

That's a shame, prboom-based ports have a lot of interesting features... prboomx actually lets you stand next to a switch and see what it triggers, if you're absolutely stuck.

34 minutes ago, invictius said:

That's a shame, prboom-based ports have a lot of interesting features... prboomx actually lets you stand next to a switch and see what it triggers, if you're absolutely stuck.

Nugget Doom has that as well.

38 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

Nugget Doom has that as well.

It seems to highlight what is triggered better than prboomx, too.  Can't wait for it to get a console like prboomx, which had a lot of zdoom commands.

As I managed to finally finish the wad today as I went through burnout and demotivation. As a fan of exploring large maps, it's nice to see city-themed maps to come up of a wonderful project that everyone made.

I have noticed things during my playthrough in HMP in Nugget Doom (1-25) & then later in Helion (26-30).

Spoiler

MAP15
Would there be a Super Shotgun in HMP? It just feels grading to shotgun revenants for some time when I only have shells left.

MAP17
Part of the stairs (Linedefs 10591, 10595, 10599, & 10605) uses an ALLBLACK texture as it should be EGYPWALM instead.

MAP22
The rails (Linedefs 9494-9507) are passable.

Sectors 1123, 1128, 1131, 1596, 1599, 1602, 1608, & 1631 are damaging sectors.

The blue key door can be opened with a blue keycard, but the textures are indicated as blue skulls.

MAP23

You can softlock yourself if you run between the box and the wall (circled from this image below) at the secret area before the fight.
1959151693_Screenshot2024-04-09194746.png.e62d59fe32995fe067930cfeff7b4fce.png

I didn't know it was going to be humongous map, I was dropping frames really bad as I even had to put at the lowest resolution and still have frame drops when I'm looking towards the main area, I had to use Helion after MAP25 as I don't know if I was going to experience a large and detailed map like that.

MAP27
The red force field textures don't change when you press the switch; the enemies come out normally though.

MAP29
You can archvile jump onto the pyramid.

In the northern area for the yellow key, what you're supposed to do in that fight?
   All I can figure out is to stall and run around but because a RNGfest when the archviles are present, run to the switch as the sector lowers down, and run back to the south and hide behind the pillar and kill all of them of what's left in the area. Is that the intended strategy? I don't know if there's isn't enough health for that room.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello! I don't know if this is a bug or intentional but in MAP01, the health potion you get from the vending machine cannot be obtained as it does not drop but instead stays too high to be reached.

56 minutes ago, JoeyKelastiof said:

Hello! I don't know if this is a bug or intentional but in MAP01, the health potion you get from the vending machine cannot be obtained as it does not drop but instead stays too high to be reached.

That's strange, it might be a port specific issue as I didn't have that problem in DSDA.

2 minutes ago, myolden said:

That's strange, it might be a port specific issue as I didn't have that problem in DSDA.

I had a similar issue (also in dsda) when I played for DWMC, where the bottle simply didn't leave the teleport closet.

Which is made even more weird by it working fine in the pre-release test build.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking it out now. This is huge. It took me an hour to get through the first 5 levels. I'm not sure about map31.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Bryan T said:

Just checking it out now. This is huge. It took me an hour to get through the first 5 levels. I'm not sure about map31.

I didn't take too long with anything up until MAP13. MAP20 is also the longest so far with MAP21 close behind (this is because of all the lock-in traps mostly though). MAP22 I am currently on and hey author, I don't think I am supposed to go through the fence textures on the way to the blue key (linedefs 9494-9507). EDIT: I just went through another fence, linedef 5042. Don't think I'm supposed to be able to do any of these.

Also in the inevitable future there will likely be a wiki page on this and I'm already writing secret descriptions for this all.

Edited by NuMetalManiak
fences you can pass through.

I love the animated skies in this. Ive always wanted animated versions of the IWAD skies as a neat little bonus, this proves its feasible.

Also massive points for the Bricked Up level, its utter perfection for a wad focused on cities.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

Also massive points for the Bricked Up level, its utter perfection for a wad focused on cities.

Thanks. The lego city gimmick was myolden's idea. I think we were originally shooting for an underwater level but I never felt inspired to make it. Glad the resulting map ended up purty good.

Edited by BluePineapple72

Posted (edited)

How a secret invulnerability on MAP04 can be taken? I hoped that in last version it will be clearer for me but it isn't - this secret is still inaccessible for me!

Is there another way to get it except an archvile-jump?

Edited by RaRu Des2122

6 minutes ago, RaRu Des2122 said:

How a secret invulnerability on MAP04 can be taken?

Spoiler

Take a dump in (interact with) 3 toilets to create a bridge

I actually think you just flush them. Anyways, secret descriptions are on standby until the wiki map pages (inevitably) get made. Had a hiccup with MAP36 since apparently GZDoom had some weird shit for that one closet where a voodoo doll is SUPPOSED TO BE STUCK TO A LARGE TREE but they both moved over the linedefs in that closet. It's a fun set and it's easy to find your way in all of the maps.

Posted (edited)

Any hints about how to reach the secret exit in MAP08? I have managed to obtain the blue skull key and reached a room with weird texturing, but after that it transports me back to the regular part of the level and I'm unable to figure out what's left to do.

*UPDATE*
OK, figured it out. I was kinda walking around it all the time. Seems it was too... obvious? xD

Edited by NightFright

Posted (edited)

Hey! Finally finished this one. Some of the maps are very long so it took a while lol. Amazing work everyone who contributed!! Each map has an interesting take on the concept and combat was very challenging but fun throughout.

Map 23 is very beautiful but absolutely massacred my framerate lol. Very cool secret levels!! Anti-life looks incredible, absolutely nailed the color scheme. The legos are a nice break. "Crypto Crash" is especially flashy! But I also kind of prefer the more old school design of the others.

Map 09, 20, and 22 feel kind of unfinished? None of the fences in 22 are marked as impassable so got soft locked a bunch. Also no map 19? I was on RC4 though so it's possible they have been updated. Map 33 doesn't feel out of place and could easily take the 19 slot. "Blur Affinity" is already extremely difficult and disorienting, but the gimmick makes it basically impossible. That one also hits the frame rate pretty hard. Map 28 is similarly difficult, but not having the timer the whole time makes it much more digestible. 

Love how exploration heavy a lot of the maps are! I enjoy searching and sightseeing more than combat much of the time. I find a lot of community projects can be pretty uneven in challenge, but this really doesn't have that issue. Starts off tough but stays consistent throughout, maybe slightly above my skill level. I am a big fan of the low key slaughter and secrets were really fun to find in all the maps. Hope you don't take any of these notes too hard, it really is incredible what y'all came up with!! Music choices were on point the entire time and fit each level well. If you want to keep the episodes more distinct it could be nice to add a selection in the main menu?

Cheers

Edited by worldoffood

1 hour ago, worldoffood said:

Hey! Finally finished this one. Some of the maps are very long so it took a while lol. Amazing work everyone who contributed!! Each map has an interesting take on the concept and combat was very challenging but fun throughout.

Map 23 is very beautiful but absolutely massacred my framerate lol. Very cool secret levels!! Anti-life looks incredible, absolutely nailed the color scheme. The legos are a nice break. "Crypto Crash" is especially flashy! But I also kind of prefer the more old school design of the others.

Map 09, 20, and 22 feel kind of unfinished? None of the fences in 22 are marked as impassable so got soft locked a bunch. Also no map 19? I was on RC4 though so it's possible they have been updated. Map 33 doesn't feel out of place and could easily take the 19 slot. "Blur Affinity" is already extremely difficult and disorienting, but the gimmick makes it basically impossible. That one also hits the frame rate pretty hard. Map 28 is similarly difficult, but not having the timer the whole time makes it much more digestible. 

Love how exploration heavy a lot of the maps are! I enjoy searching and sightseeing more than combat much of the time. I find a lot of community projects can be pretty uneven in challenge, but this really doesn't have that issue. Starts off tough but stays consistent throughout, maybe slightly above my skill level. I am a big fan of the low key slaughter and secrets were really fun to find in all the maps. Hope you don't take any of these notes too hard, it really is incredible what y'all came up with!! Music choices were on point the entire time and fit each level well. If you want to keep the episodes more distinct it could be nice to add a selection in the main menu?

Cheers

Glad you had fun. You're certainly on an out of date version, map 19 was pulled at the authors request and a new map 19 was since added (and then swapped with map 20 as it made for an excellent episode ender). Lots of updates and fixes since RC4, I'd recommend playing the idgames version if you ever decide to come back to it. 

18 hours ago, NightFright said:

*UPDATE*
OK, figured it out. I was kinda walking around it all the time. Seems it was too... obvious? xD

Maybe I should have put a health bonus on top of that lol