If you're asking for help with a wad, please post your wad.

Posted (edited)

Since my latest return to DoomWorld I've noticed that the majority of people posting editing questions, and otherwise looking for help, do not post the wad that is giving them trouble, at least initially. (This post is not directed specifically at anyone, other than future posters.)

It is often really hard for someone to tell what's wrong with a wad if they can't see it for themselves. Screenshots, videos, error logs can all help somewhat, but they're nothing like being able to see the actual wad. If you are asking for help, and you are able to post your wad, then please upload and post your wad. This goes for mapping, texture editing, or just about anything else related to doom modding.

Now sometimes people have a reason for doing so, such as they are working on a private project they don't want to share, or can't. That's fine. In those cases you are better off saying that you don't want to post it, to let people know that. Alternatively you might say you're willing to PM it to people who are offering to help -- ideally if you PM someone a wad they will still be able to post the answer publicly, so that other people searching for a similar problem that come across your post will be able to find the answer. With all that said, most people don't care if what you're working on is unfinished, or embarrassing, or whatever; and even if you have a good reason not to post it, be aware that this limits the help that people are able to give you.

If you don't know how to do upload files:

- You have 50mb of storage space with your DoomWorld account, zip or rar up your file and you can upload it when you post. You might want to delete the file after your problem has been solved to free up space: click the dropdown menu with your username in the top-right corner of the page and go to My Attachments.

- If you have a google account, which almost everyone does, you can upload stuff to your google drive. Dropbox also works if you use it. In either case make sure that the file is available to download for anyone that has the link, and doesn't need them to sign in.

- As a last resort there's always mediafire. It's full of ugly adds (if you don't have an adblocker) but it works, it's free, and the stuff I uploaded to mediafire ten years ago is still available.

I don't know if this, or a similar message, can be stickied in the Editing Questions forum, since it's a different format than other forums. In any case it would be helpful to have this kind of message somewhere. edit: Thanks mods! Would be better in Editing Questions but hopefully some people will see this.

TL;DR post wad

Edited by plums

Dunno if this still works cause I have adblock anyways, but for mediafire ppl should right click the DL link and open in new tab. Skips the ad.

yeah but what if someone steals my expertly-designed series of boxy STARTAN rooms

Adding to the list of external places to upload - I always use github. It's free for public repos; and no ads!.

for mappers that need help but do not want to expose their whole handiwork:

1. copy only the problematic part of your map to a new wad file to isolate the problem.
  2. test the new wad. if the problem no longer persists, then there are other parts in the former wad that had made unexpected changes to the problematic area, causing the issues. for example, the floor's height in the problematic area was unknowingly changed by other parts of the map due to using the same tag id.
  3. if the problem still persists in the new wad, share only the new wad here in doomworld.

hope this helps. tq.

• 2 months later...