I WILL NEVER GIVE YOU ANY THING [MBF21 + UMAPINFO]

If this does anything to my eyes like map31 did in firerainbow then yes, a skip for me.

This isn't like the blockbuster that everyone in your neighborhood goes to watch and talks about for a few months - It's more like that short film that didn't show in theatres, but became a classic in the right circles and ripened with age to the point people will be talking about it for years.

Congrats on the release!

I am not sure how to respond. I have been to hundreds of museums in my life and have played hundreds of wads. This is the first time I thought: 'this room belongs in a museum'. Wow, just wow.

The gameplay is not my thing but I already know that the graphics and presentation are perhaps the best thing I'll see in Doom this year. I especially enjoyed MAP01. Would love to see more tiny scale usage of this, and also even larger scale usage, funnily enough. Give me this kinda stuff in a Scythe 2 MAP16 environment, or in MAP03 of Toilet of the Gods.

Posted (edited)

Picked a good time to get into ICGYA, downloading rn

Just played it. An incredible experience! There are few wads out there that are this fascinating and enchanting.

Edited by 97th Century Fox

The sequel to lilth.pk3 nobody wished for in glorious glitchovision.

Absurdist art is also art, and it definitely looks wholly unique. This is one of those projects that ought to have a sneaky mention somewhere later at a not-be-named awardshow.

I think I got a nosebleed from that.... but yeah photosensitivity warning

Posted (edited)

Just for the sake of my health, I am gonna hold off on playing this WAD but I have no doubt that it is no less mesmerising and beguiling as your other works. Congratulations on the release <3

Edited by Phoenyx

Posted (edited)

Putting aside how angry Graf Zahl would find this on GZDoom, good work once again! It's very much a vibe thing but the title really says it all <3

Edited by LadyMistDragon

Genuinely one of the most stunning visual effects I've ever seen in doom. I was excited when I first saw you cooking the broken palette, but actually playing with it is on another level entirely- especially when combined with the animated skies, it's mesmerizing. Playing it gave me a headache but I'd say it was 100% worth it, incredible work as always.

Wonderful wad that can only be likened to lilith in the most superficial way. It takes a while for the brain to adjust to seeing the world in a new way. It's unpredictable and confusing and painful but it's a good pain. Somehow comforting. Somehow familiar.

I've heard that poets are saying the unsayable. I think mapping can be like that too. Sometimes you make a place, and sometimes it's a feeling to interact with.

Just remember to breathe.

I appreciate this kind of wild, mind-melting approaches to design but it's just not something for me. It's too difficult for my eyes. Interesting nonetheless.

That certainly was an experience, would have never imagined these kind of visuals were possible to achieve. I had a blast and I can't believe I managed complete it without using iddqd haha, great music selection too btw it was a nice surprise to hear the DDP DOJ soundtrack on the menu and the credits.

Seeing LadyMistDragon's video is an interesting acid trip in that wad shows. Also SHMUP music and modules.

Very interesting, surprised no one's gone on here and trashed it yet (which is a good thing, mind you). I really have no words, this is expression of whatever's cooked up in that noggin of yours and the part I get the most entertainment out of it from is the technical standpoint, pulling something like this off in DSDA-doom and not a ZDoom or derivative port. It's mind-boggling, I didn't get how the first map works, it's a visual mess and it's beautiful. See, I find it interesting as the combat is nothing to write home about - in a plain color palette and in a plain room it would be serviceable at best but it works here because of every other factor going on. So that's interesting.

Yeah, I wish I had played the predecessor beforehand to get a better idea but I'm content with what I experienced, it was short enough and I had a good time. 

Chalk it up to 'not my cup of tea but HOLY SHIT this is cool', like you said feel free to cheat (and cheat I did) but yesss good stuff

When you purchase Marlboro cigarettes but after smoking them you realize they were Maribo brand and not cigarettes at all and then the universe starts getting weird.

This looks goddamn beautiful. I am deeply saddened that I cannot play this due to my brain not being able to handle the reality splitting visuals. Your style and creativity with what the doom engine will allow is an inspiration. Great work!

Posted (edited)

There's a blurry line between "visually different" and "visually difficult", and to me personally this leans deep into the latter. It's difficult for me to know how serious I'm meant to take this, where seemingly each map I have no idea how I triggered the exit, as the maps are visually confusing, making taking cover from enemy fire a difficult task, and there seemingly being a lack of ammo present to deal with threats. Despite encouraging cheats and lack of defined difficulty, it feels a bit of a hand wavy excuse to what otherwise could have been an enjoyable experience, because if the point of this was the experience and message behind the pick up texts (more than the combat and level design per se), why spike the difficulty? Or better yet, why not artificially lower the difficulty for the player?

I do, however, love creations that play around with visuals and color. It's fun seeing people invent new ways to paint worlds, even if the outcome makes it a bit of a confusing mess. "Clown vomit" would be a very negative way to describe the visuals here, as that would undermine that there is intent and effort put behind the colors on display here, and if I could describe it with positive words, they'd be here.

Edited by kevansevans

5 hours ago, Maribo said:

It's unlikely that anything in the WAD will change, except for possible replacement of the Dodonpachi ogg music with proper .xm format tracks.

Hide contents

Neat! More WADs that use MOD music!

6 hours ago, Maribo said:

I imagine that more than a few people have cracked the WAD open in SLADE by now and are wondering what exactly causes this kind of behavior, so here's a rough tech write-up if you want the curtain pulled back:

Thanks for the writeup; I remember seeing a post here showing a similarly crazy effect from taking negative damage, and was wondering if this WAD used that. This is different, but sounds similar in that it uses garbage data as the palette. I'd also add that the colors vary by port, and probably also the specific build of the port too. In Woof, restarting the level using in-game restart also scrambles the colors, while in dsda-doom it does not.

OP has been updated with a typo fix for the music credits + .xm versions of the title pic and inter text end screen music, so the volume of the WAD should be more unified now (and shaved off a couple of megabytes just for fun). This will likely be the version going to idgames shortly so if anything else is borked (in a way that doesn't seem intended), typo'd, or otherwise needs addressing, let me know soon.

A couple of weeks ago, I played icgya and really loved both the slaughter gameplay and general visual design so when I saw a new wad from you with a similar title I was pretty excited and went in blind. It's hard to put into words how much I already love these maps, they're so isolating and inaccesable, yet I feel right at home among the flickering colors. Even after your explination I'm still not really sure how the palette works but am enthralled by it regardless. This is a really really great wad, thanks for making it <3.