GZDoom Line Portals acting odd?

_koraichu

Question

I'm only recently learning how UDMF/GZDoom specific stuff works, and now I'm having trouble with portals. I'm trying to bypass the need for 3D floors/custom textures in this ditch area with line portals, but it's being weird and buggy. I'm using "Visual only" portals for this part.

The first two pictures are of what I see in-game, and the third is of the map in UDB.

Screenshot_Doom_20240329_221211.png.07b9dd591cc0d583bfa91dea5bd6fa3d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20240329_221219.png.65d5beadecac514ed82de40d707d3873.png

udboddityhelp1.PNG.2693eedcf339823f57af8fda68f2dbb9.PNG

3 answers to this question

So unless something has changed recently, last I checked GZDoom doesn't support portals this way. Wall portals are only for actual walls, not lower and upper walls. That requires something called edge portals, which only Eternity supports.

Leaving aside the idea of 3D floors (which is kind of a cheat anyway), Doom sectors are all much the same - you have a floor and a ceiling, and the only bit that allows players, monsters, projectiles, etc to pass through is the middle. You have a lower texture to allow for steps (the underneath bit), and an upper texture for the lintel of doorways and so on. Midtextures are relatively rare; these are the "wall" for the middle bit, which is the only part that allows transparency (so you can have railings, etc). They don't stop you going through that wall unless you set the line to be impassable.

Line portals ONLY work on the middle bit. You can have a lower and upper texture as normal, but the portal will only affect the midtexture section. If you want to suggest multiple floors, you'll need to be damned sneaky about it. It's possible if you have a very thin sector in front of the one you're trying to make multistory, and then use two line portals for the different parts, but it's not easy and may not look great.

For your bridge, you're better off with 3D floors - or failing that, cheat with a transparent midtexture and use teleport portals to "use" the bridge.

So, you're learning gzdoom/udmf sruff, and don't want to use 3d floors. No, 3d floors are not any hack or cheats, 3d floors are simply 3d models. Do you have any reason for learning udmf without learning 3d floors? 3d floors are easy to use, allows full architecture and in the end, it is reasonable way of using advanced stuff, while this be ding of portals is just domething, that will make your head spin...