RUST /// THE INFERNAL MACHINE

Here, the mere efforts on the design of the post for the wad already deserves attention and respect. I love it when authors treat their wads as more than just a set of maps and are able to present them creatively to the player.

Insane project presentation, I wish I could put it in a motion video frame.

Dope, finally browsed DW now to grab this bad boy. May likely play it directly after Hell's Bane.

DL'ing it purely based on the impressive presentation. You get a gold star.

hot damn this seems very interesting. a shame this only doesn't support Nugget Doom or playing DSDA in OpenGL. can't stand playing without 110 FOV lol. still will get around to playing this eventually because it seems too cool not to.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, kaleb. said:

hot damn this seems very interesting. a shame this only doesn't support Nugget Doom or playing DSDA in OpenGL. can't stand playing without 110 FOV lol. still will get around to playing this eventually because it seems too cool not to.

You can probably get away with running the wad in Nugget Doom / Woof under "-complevel 2". "-complevel 1" and "-complevel 2" are very similar, except for some minor things such as HELP lump behaviour, and possibly some other minor things.

Whatever you do, do NOT run RUST under "-complevel 3".

I didn't write this in the post because I think that Nugget Doom / Woof should support the "-complevel 1" command.

Regarding OpenGL, the mapset is designed for DOS, and thus OpenGL renderer of DSDA Doom is not accurate. This is mostly noticeable in E1M7.

Edited by Arsinikk

FWIW I don't think there are any gameplay differences between complevel 1 and 2. It's possible I missed something, but the only difference I can find in dsda-doom's code is the version number written to the header when recording a demo. In Chocolate Doom there's also some differences with the IDMUS cheat and the IDDT cheat (TIL before version 1.9 you could use IDDT in deathmatch!), and some differences in OPL emulation for different versions of DMX. The significant changes, like lost soul bouncing, boss trigger behavior, and dropping the second help screen, occur between 1.9 and Ultimate Doom, i.e. complevels 2 and 3 (in dsda-doom the help screen is different regardless of complevel).

Topic title is a bit obnoxious. Otherwise, really cool presentation.

Why did you opt out of making it GZDoom compatible?

7 minutes ago, Zesiir said:

GZDoom is a really complex engine, and some vanilla behaviors / hacks doesn't work correctly. That's by design, since it's really complex to support correctly new things and legacy things and the two worlds don't have to collide and create bugs. 

There's a compatibility list in the engine, but 

1. That list needs to be updated by someone

2. Not always works correctly 

Of course someone if wants  try to open a ticket on GZDoom GitHub and explain what's wrong, or even better, create a patch and do a PR.

13 minutes ago, Zesiir said:

Topic title is a bit obnoxious. Otherwise, really cool presentation.

1 minute ago, LuciferSam86 said:

GZDoom is a really complex engine, and some vanilla behaviors / hacks doesn't work correctly. That's by design, since it's really complex to support correctly new things and legacy things and the two worlds don't have to collide and create bugs. 

There's a compatibility list in the engine, but 

1. That list needs to be updated by someone

2. Not always works correctly 

Of course someone if wants  try to open a ticket on GZDoom GitHub and explain what's wrong, or even better, create a patch and do a PR.

compat_floormove is broken in GZDoom 4.11.3; enabling the option (which the "Doom (strict)" compatibility preset does) will break many levels that are meant to run with vanilla behavior, such as Plutonia MAP32 (blue key will become inaccessible). It was fixed almost immediately after the 4.11.3 release, but for whatever reason there hasn't been a "stable" release since then, so even though you could grab a dev build and enjoy the fix, the version of GZDoom most people would use has been broken for the past half year.

1 hour ago, Shepardus said:

FWIW I don't think there are any gameplay differences between complevel 1 and 2.

Ugh, I'd rather not go too far in this direction for this thread, since the thread is supposed to be about the WAD, and not the differences between complevels or source port feature support and the like...

I will slightly indulge those are interested about such things a tiny bit though:

Spoiler

FWIW I don't think there are any gameplay differences between complevel 1 and 2. It's possible I missed something, but the only difference I can find in dsda-doom's code is the version number written to the header when recording a demo. In Chocolate Doom there's also some differences with the IDMUS cheat and the IDDT cheat (TIL before version 1.9 you could use IDDT in deathmatch!), and some differences in OPL emulation for different versions of DMX. The significant changes, like lost soul bouncing, boss trigger behavior, and dropping the second help screen, occur between 1.9 and Ultimate Doom, i.e. complevels 2 and 3 (in dsda-doom the help screen is different regardless of complevel).

It is true that in my testing, demos recorded in 1.666 seem to be consistent with 1.9.

I ended up testing via Vanilla EXE versions and they are pretty consistent. By 1.9, I do not mean "Ultimate Doom".

It's worth noting that looking in DSDA-Doom's code is prob not the best idea since it openly says "complevel 1" is only partially supported. Although you did bring up the Choco code, which is a much better comparison. I did quite a bit of research for this project to see the differences between engine versions, and so I did come across the sound code differences... I will mention the stuff about IDMUS and IDDT cheat behaviour was new to me, so that's cool to learn something new.

I didn't end up testing Vanilla 1.9 too much, so about the second HELP screen, I will say I thought that was a v1.666 thing, but I'm happy to say I'm wrong if that's the case.

Regardless, I see no problem designing a WAD for Doom v1.666. Even if it's similar to other complevels, it being designed for a specific version is interesting to me. Sadly I can't really utilise the second HELP screen behaviour at the moment, since most source ports do not support it.

If DSDA Doom wants to look at an actual demo inconsistency that affects all Vanilla complevels (0-4), they should look at weapon behaviour when there's an attack codepointer before the raise state of a weapon. Because currently it's inconsistent with Vanilla, and that currently makes this WAD demo-incompatible with DSDA Doom.

57 minutes ago, Zesiir said:

45 minutes ago, LuciferSam86 said:

GZDoom is a really complex engine, and some vanilla behaviors / hacks doesn't work correctly.

35 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

compat_floormove is broken in GZDoom 4.11.3

So it's not GZDoom compatible because I don't want to make it compatible. My role as a map maker and WAD creator is to create experiences for players. If a source port is currently broken (see Shepardus' comment), I can't guarantee a consistent experience for all players.

As much as developers like to say that users can download a dev build of their source port, many users do not like using a dev build and just get the stable version. It's because the stable version is supposed to be less prone to issues. I don't like telling users to download dev builds, because what happens if the port breaks something in the dev build that affects someone playing my WAD? Someone could come across an issue and think it's the WAD's fault and not the port. There is no way for me to test whether a WAD will work on a build that's compiled every other day.

I cannot tell you how many comments I've gotten recently about my WADs softlocking in GZDoom. It's one thing to tell one or two people to download a dev build. But that doesn't stop the influx of players complaining about a bug in my WAD that's literally not the WAD's fault, but GZDoom's.

So I'm not adding support for GZDoom until they release a new stable version, so I can stop getting comments about my WADs not working correctly. That way I'm not getting false bug reports over and over. If they fix it, then I will add support. Until then no GZDoom support.

Posted (edited)

compat_floormove is broken in GZDoom 4.11.3; enabling the option (which the "Doom (strict)" compatibility preset does) will break many levels that are meant to run with vanilla behavior, such as Plutonia MAP32 (blue key will become inaccessible). It was fixed almost immediately after the 4.11.3 release, but for whatever reason there hasn't been a "stable" release since then, so even though you could grab a dev build and enjoy the fix, the version of GZDoom most people would use has been broken for the past half year.

Yah I was having a lot of problems with vanilla wads so I reported this in the bug section of zdoom foruns.  It's fixed in the current dev builds.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=78417

Edited by Auron

I got to map 08 but i can't finish the map. After i press the botton near the spider mastermind and the one that appears at the bottom of the stairs it  triggers a sort of door sound. After that i'm pretty lost, nothing seems to open or trigger after that. Any help please ? I'm playing in dsda doom

2 minutes ago, danidf96 said:

I got to map 08 but i can't finish the map. After i press the botton near the spider mastermind and the one that appears at the bottom of the stairs it  triggers a sort of door sound. After that i'm pretty lost, nothing seems to open or trigger after that. Any help please ? I'm playing in dsda doom

What complevel.

32 minutes ago, danidf96 said:

Make sure you're using -complevel 1 in the supported ports.

Spoiler

I just finished the episode. At the end of map 8, after pressing the button near the spider mastermind, just run back to the corridor and there will be a teleporter at the end leading to the kill switch and the exit door.

I finished the episode and I must say it was very impressive, especially the presentation.

I'm not good with reviews but I would like to congratulate everyone involved in the project. Not very long maps with classic design, creative mechanics and combat. My favorites were E1M7 and E1M8 (very cool ending) also it took me almost 40min to figure the secret exit on E1M3 (><).

The only negative point in my opinion is the excess of flashing lights throughout practically the entire wad, even though I'm not someone who has photosensitivity, it bothered me on a certain level, but I understand that it must be part of the experience proposed by the author, but it certainly won't be a set of maps for everyone. 

I played using dsda-doom 0.27.5 in software rendering (-complevel 1),  UV with -pistolstart.

E1M7 - In the blue corridor on right of the Barons and Cyberdemon's room, the textures in the walls (the Imps traps) were kinda bugged for me, I'm not sure if was intended or not.

4 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

So I'm not adding support for GZDoom until they release a new stable version, so I can stop getting comments about my WADs not working correctly. That way I'm not getting false bug reports over and over. If they fix it, then I will add support. Until then no GZDoom support.

Cheers for the explanation, it makes sense. I hope it gets fixed soon, so your work can reach out to as many as possible.

I'll look for a working port so I can play this :)

Okay, I definitely wasn't expecting to log in and get a notification for this. <3 <3

This looks sick! Looks like I have a new Thursday project. :D

I just want to say this is the most impressive WAD thread presentation I've ever seen in all my years in Doomworld. @4MaTC @Nikoxenos check this shit the design is badass.

Even if the WAD sucked (which doesn't!) this thread alone is worthy of commendation.

Posted (edited)

After figuring out what a complevel was after 6 years of playing doom i finished the wad and i gotta say that was extreamely memorable. Without spoiling anything map 07 is quite the journey to say the least particularly the visual aspect. The wad really captures that 90s feel in the atmosphere and visuals but really improves it with well executed (and hard af) enemy encounters, i also specially loved both of the dehacked suprises in the secret map.

Loved the wad overall and can't wait for more, i'd love if the second chapter would use the dechaked weapon more to add a little bit of spice to the normally more monotonus gameplay of Doom 1. Also what is e3m6 supposued to be?

Edited by danidf96
Misspelling

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Auron said:

I finished the episode and I must say it was very impressive, especially the presentation.

I'm not good with reviews but I would like to congratulate everyone involved in the project. Not very long maps with classic design, creative mechanics and combat. My favorites were E1M7 and E1M8 (very cool ending) also it took me almost 40min to figure the secret exit on E1M3 (><).

I played using dsda-doom 0.27.5 in software rendering (-complevel 1),  UV with -pistolstart.

Thanks. This was really just a one person project, with some of the playtesters' feedback being implimented.

The only negative point in my opinion is the excess of flashing lights throughout practically the entire wad, even though I'm not someone who has photosensitivity, it bothered me on a certain level, but I understand that it must be part of the experience proposed by the author, but it certainly won't be a set of maps for everyone.

This is fair. It's exactly why I put a photosensitive warning on the WAD. Personally it doesn't bother me, but for one playtester it did. Interestingly enough I did actually tone down some of the flashing lights specifically on E1M8. Lol it used to be worse.

I think the flashing lights is part of the 90s influence, but also because the episode is very techbase focused. Future episodes will have different main themes, and so they will most likely have a lot less flashing lights.

E1M7 - In the blue corridor on right of the Barons and Cyberdemon's room, the textures in the walls (the Imps traps) were kinda bugged for me, I'm not sure if was intended or not.

So..... spoilers (if you want to experience RUST blind - DO NOT READ THIS):

Spoiler

The HOMs on the walls here a perfectly intentional. The idea is that the simulation you are in is constantly breaking down further and further in you venture. As a result many of the aesthetics and stuff like switches being split, or just straight up not working, start popping up. The walls not rendering are there to show the state of the simulation, in that it's barely hanging on, that it can't even render walls correctly.

It's essentially a "downward spiral" but also is related to the name. RUST is metal to decays into something fragile, just as the simulation is falling apart the further you venture. Episode 2 and 3 are meant to also have some version of decay, just will be unrelated with the technology of Episode 1.

2 hours ago, danidf96 said:

After figuring out what a complevel was after 6 years of playing doom i finished the wad and i gotta say that was extreamely memorable. Without spoiling anything map 07 is quite the journey to say the least particularly the visual aspect. The wad really captures that 90s feel in the atmosphere and visuals but really improves it with well executed (and hard af) enemy encounters, i also specially loved both of the dehacked suprises in the secret map.

Glad you enjoyed it. Sorry about the complevel experience, but I'm glad you were able to get passed it :)

It's interesting to hear that the enemy encounters were difficult, as being episode 1, this was meant to be on the easy side. I know that the combat is more of a modern take, but still just surprised to hear that.

2 hours ago, danidf96 said:

Also what is e3m6 supposued to be?

I'm afraid I don't really wanna answer this, due to a spoiler. In a way me saying anything about this is a spoiler.

If you want a tiny hint, open the spoiler below:

Spoiler

E3M6 isn't supposed to be played/warped to. It does have a purpose.

Edited by Arsinikk

Loved playing through the first map. I am using chocolate doom Complevel 2 like you said with an original Doom 1.666 wad. I was wondering about

Spoiler

the rocketlaucnher secret? or not secret found in the first level. I completed everything but I can't get to that. I used idclip to go look and see what is in there. 

But anyways thanks again for this. it was fun and I bet it will be wonderful as i complete it. 

Posted (edited)

Made a minor update based on @TheShep's stream. Fixed a misspelling in E1M7. (OP link updated)

Also I have expanded the text file to now include author commentary with interesting information on development and goals for each map.

May be an interesting read for mappers and the like :)

RUST-E1-download.gif.7aa814ad3c8fb39b65f1dfbe472ebecc.gif

Edited by Arsinikk

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KneeDeepintheSludgemetal said:

I was wondering about

Every map has a super secret non-secret rocket launcher. I'm afraid I kinda don't wanna spoil how to get each one, as that's kind of the point of them (staying secret :P)

Edited by Arsinikk