What is your DOOM “Hot Take” ?

The title kinda explains it but what is a opinion you have on DOOM that goes against what most people think

Here’s mine the Archville is genuinely a terrible demon that unless it’s for a gimmick you don’t need more Than one of in the map. 

Doom can still thrive without Mick Gordon 

Tag 1 and 2 proved this. Nuff said

Doom needs female characters and textboxes, as it stands doom is too shallow for me but I think as an artist its the only way I can make anything is if I make something shallow and pedantic because its too much of a herculean task to make anything good by one's lonesome or atleast by myself so I resent doom because it holds me back as an artist but its the best I can get.

>.>

7 hours ago, nathanB404 said:

Doom can still thrive without Mick Gordon 

Tag 1 and 2 proved this. Nuff said

1) I don't think that's that hot of a take.

2) This post reads like you just stole the responses to your worries from here.

3) Do you actually think that or are you just boarding the bandwagon as per point #2?

Dunno if this is unpopular or not but I rarely get agreement from my buddies...

Doom 2016 was better Doom than Eternal.

My reasons being hard for me to put into words (besides "I enjoy 2016 more when I play it")... but I suppose my biggest gripe is them leaning into hard meta gameplay mechanics. They make it significantly harder to defeat a lot of enemies without using very specific tactics and sometimes even specific weapons. Like sure, there are the best tools for any given scenario in all the games - but only really in Eternal is there a specific weapon/weapon switch combo that is unequivocally the correct tool for a particular opponent. The Marauder wasn't too bad, but those stone imps for example annoy the heck out of me.

I also have a minor issue with them leaning into the pastel aesthetics, although that's really is minor considering DOOM's never actually been shy on intense colour.

That said Eternal certainly got a lot of love from id and it's an awesome game. Great addition to the franchise. I just don't think it's outright better or even necessarily as good as 2016, which didn't get itself caught in a trap of "expanding" gameplay options by constricting them.

Music from Doom 2016 and Eternal seems to be going through genre dysphoria. It doesn't know if it wants to be industrial metal or dubstep.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Amaruψ said:

Music from Doom 2016 and Eternal seems to be going through genre dysphoria. It doesn't know if it wants to be industrial metal or dubstep.

Just wait until you hear about Jazz fusion

Edited by ⇛Marnetmar⇛

Posted (edited)

Doom Eternal has the best gameplay in the series and Doom 3 has the most satisfying guns

Edited by xdarkmasterx

Doom 1 maps can be as fun as Doom 2 if done properly. It's like a community project that restricts you from using the majority of monsters and forces you to be creative with what's left.

1 hour ago, esselfortium said:

My recommendation as a doctor*: Every time you encounter someone with this opinion, add another archvile to the map you're currently working on.

*not actually a doctor

My map now has more archviles than in the entirety of Plutonia, help.

corel prison from ff7 rebirth is a complete tonal fuck-up

a step beyond being able to say "ah, it's just fun yakuza-style design" because you had that the whole game doing that already

and the player start in e2m5 is in the wrong place

Video Games were a nice idea but clearly failed

A good video game although possible has yet to be accomplished

Maybe not exactly a hot take, but whatever.

Doom 1 is much better than Doom 2. The SSG isn't as prevalent (I wonder why) and weapon usage variety is far greater, the levels are far less dickish (we don't talk about E4M2), and as much as people like to dog on Sandy's maps, they were the best in the game. Monster variety is more limited, but that means you have to be creative, and not spam chaingunners and Revenants like you're a long-lost Casali brother.

1. Gzdoom is better than dsda doom and other boom clones for most players

2. Udmf is easier to use and better than doom format

New members should be restricted to only reacting and replying to posts for a week before they are allowed to make new topics.

Don't really care about the topic of the thread but want to respond to some posts

1 hour ago, realjohnmadden said:

Doom 1 is much better than Doom 2. The SSG isn't as prevalent (I wonder why) and weapon usage variety is far greater, the levels are far less dickish (we don't talk about E4M2), and as much as people like to dog on Sandy's maps, they were the best in the game. Monster variety is more limited, but that means you have to be creative, and not spam chaingunners and Revenants like you're a long-lost Casali brother. 

As a modding platform doom 2 because the community can realize its potential well, but if we're talking about vanilla maps, only in doom 2 you can get a screenshot as beautiful as this:
doom2_015.png.a9485c3374485bd2aee45331ab16f66f.png

33 minutes ago, Metal_Slayer said:

New members should be restricted to only reacting and replying to posts for a week before they are allowed to make new topics.

r/Doom would probably be more your speed then

Ultra Violence slogfests are overrated and environmental story telling is the true purpose of DOOM.

(but it's okay if you like to play that way, I'll just stick to lower difficulties and enjoy my DOOM tourism)

Welcome to "Another Hot takes thread", we got:

-Plutonia bad

-Slaughter bad

-Doom 2 > doom 1

-Doom 1 > doom 2

-"The real way to play doom is [insert some dumb shit]"

-TnT good

-Doom 64 good

-Sandy's maps aren't that bad

Now i remember why the other thread was locked.

56 minutes ago, roadworx said:

oh jesus fucking christ not this thread again

1 hour ago, roadworx said:

oh jesus fucking christ not this thread again