[MBF21] Rosy Rubicunda

i played this before release and got fucking cooked on UV lmao

dont be afraid to knock it down 1 or 2 difficulties, they've been accounted for.

7 minutes ago, Ludi said:

i played this before release and got fucking cooked on UV lmao

dont be afraid to knock it down 1 or 2 difficulties, they've been accounted for.

Tbh I was just easily impressed by the revenants' ribbon at the beginning of map 2. I more seriously tried it another time and was able to get the RL, megasphere and survive some time).

Just finished it, played on HNTR and had a blast. Fantastic colors and detailing, all of the maps are truly beautiful. 

Here's hoping to see more from you guys in the future, amazing job.

RC2 has been released! Changes a couple things to improve balancing with some fights, primarily with the inclusion of more armor. Should this not come with any more bugs (lol) or issues, it should be ready for idgames soon.

downloab

Posted (edited)

Ok played through this on hmp.  Very creative and interesting maps.  But I don't think I'm the right audience for it per se lol.  Fights just felt overly chaotic for me and lots of trial and error(map02 start, map03 start, and most of map05 for the chaotic description)  Also I suck at platforming, and having to platform during some fights killed me so so many times.  

I did almost just quit at map02 2nd big fight because I couldn't figure out a good strategy.  I ended up "cheesing" it a little by waking up hell knights slowly to kill one side of revs so there was enough room to move around (for me) to actually not die instantly.  

I think map04 was my favorite.  The green slime was annoying but also fun to strategize.  Felt good to figure those out. Even though the clean up on the last fight was pretty tedious imo.  Just the revs.  

I did play it in RC1 so maybe the update made things easier or less annoying for ppl like me lol

Overall I like it, I was more in awe in how extreme the fights felt lol.. 

Edited by Treehouseminis

oh hey really cool to see a project by you two! just leaving this here so I'll remind myself to actually try it out soon, I'll be sure to post my thoughts on it afterwards

Posted (edited)

Damn, this set burned me badly. I didn't have it in me to beat either of Mocha's maps on my initial playthrough, MAP02 made me bring the difficulty down to HNTR real quick and its second fight still made me throw in the towel, it'd be arrogant to call it impossible but I still can't fathom how what I saw of that map on UV is at all beatable lol. (Keep in mind that I am an easily frustrated person and the combination of rocket launcher and restrictive-as-hell spaces probably brought that out more than is reasonable.) Most of MAP04 felt a bit more doable actually, I kinda liked strategizing with the green slime and other area denial stuff, but it had me scraping by and I was worn-out enough by the end that I just had to quit there as well. I enojyed Steph's maps a lot more (and actually beat them both), they felt a lot less exacting and grindy and I found MAP05's nonstop frantic scrambling around the most fun out of anything here.

Overall I can't be mad at this set, it is really creative and I do really like the visuals and soundtrack picks and of course the cute moth, but I'm sad I'm not more in the target audience here. Then again this is also a chance for me to improve at the game so I'll take another shot at all these maps (and hopefully finish Mocha's) on HNTR sometime soon. Glad I played it!

Edited by ivymagnapinna
typo

• 3 weeks later...

we're on idgames now! can i get some moths in chat :moth: :moth: :moth: :moth: :moth: :moth: :moth:

link in the main post has been updated accordingly. :) ty for enjoying our little wad

map02 obliterated the hell out of me on UV, no clue how to approach the rev/baron fight. map03 is one of my favorite doom maps this year. map04's ice shit got an excellent laugh out of me and i am inspired to do more rancid shit with ice, so cheers for that. started getting handcramps on map05 and had to call it for the day but i like this style of absolute "ok you figure it out lol" clusterfuck hot start. gg great set

48 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

map02 obliterated the hell out of me on UV

I watched footage of it before playing and got scared...

@msx2plus just played MAP02 and it's actually not that bad. The baron fight can be done pacifist. You make barons and revs infight one by one or make only a small amount fight at a time. Eventually it gets enough empty for you to maneuver around safely and let the rest infight the cybers. What bothered me was how rng the secret fight was. Not worth a saveless run.

8 hours ago, Astro X said:

@msx2plus just played MAP02 and it's actually not that bad. The baron fight can be done pacifist. You make barons and revs infight one by one or make only a small amount fight at a time. Eventually it gets enough empty for you to maneuver around safely and let the rest infight the cybers. What bothered me was how rng the secret fight was. Not worth a saveless run.

For the secret fight the strategy is to:

Spoiler

Aggro the spider then do a lap around it so she hits all the cybers, and then just press 4 switches while they infight. The very start is still a bit rng if the spider gets hit by a rocket before you aggro her, but if you got the start done, the rest is pretty consistent.

Re: rev/baron fight, I really enjoyed it. I didn't do it pacifist, I was just rocketing the revs and then using the sides where there are no cybers to get space. You inevitably lose some health to this, but there are refills so it's quite fun this way and there is just enough space to pull that off. The second/third phases were a bit borked when I played (RC1) I think with wrong teleport destinations, but I assume they are fine now.

Oh cool, @Ravendesk!

Too bad there's no video of this wad in YouTube. At least I couldn't find one.

3 hours ago, Ravendesk said:

Re: rev/baron fight, I really enjoyed it. I didn't do it pacifist, I was just rocketing the revs and then using the sides where there are no cybers to get space

yeah this was more or less my approach, i just don't have the skillset to actually make it happen