Anyone interested in recreating the pieces of Doom 4 1.0 (AKA John Carmack-era Doom 4) in GZDoom as a mod?

Posted (edited)

Alot of us are aware of the lengthy development cycle of Doom 2016 which was originally announced as Doom 4, back when John Carmack was still at id Software at the time. Originally planned to be an id Tech 5 engine game, it later jumped to become a debute title for the id Tech 6 engine instead.

Originally announced as a Doom II-ish sequel to Doom 3 around the late-2000s, it would suffer from being a Call of Duty clone, resulting in the team at id Software referring to it as "Call of Doom" during development. By the end of early-2010s, the original version of Doom 4 was scrapped and John Carmack would leave id Software shortly afterwords.

The Doom franchise would get rebooted in the mid-2010s resulting in Doom 2016 to good reviews and resulted in the current boomer-shooter we still have today.

Given that it is very unlikely that the playable builds of Doom 4 (the ones when John Carmack was still at id Software at the time) will ever get leaked to the public, I wonder if anyone would be interested in creating a GZDoom project that would bring the Doom 4 we never got to a playable form using all the available video, concept art and screenshots, similar to the Duke Nukem Forever 2013 eDuke32 mod for Duke Nukem 3D which was made using trailers and screenshots from various iterations of that game prior to the leak of the 2001 build.

It would probably be a curiosity to be taken seriously, given that we will never see the John Carmack-era builds of Doom 4 get leaked anytime soon. Hopefully, anyone would be interested in spearheading a Doom 4 1.0-inspired project in GZDoom.

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton

9 minutes ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Given that it is very unlikely that the playable builds of Doom 4 (the ones when John Carmack was still at id Software at the time) will ever get leaked to the public

Bit of an off-topic point but I feel like if we ever got Doom 4 instead of 2016 we'd have something like the 2009 Wolfenstein. Good game in a bad era.

Back to the original topic at hand, wouldn't this require voice acting?

I don't know if that's a good idea, the only single player footage we have is from the protagonist fighting some kind of Prowler in the sewers, everything else seems to either be multiplayer or a cutscene, and the concept art that leaked doesn't seem to help. And it doesn't look like it would be easy to replicate the artstyle in GZDoom, you would probably need to make pixel art based om those characters.

The only mod I can think of that would be similar to this concept would Wolfenstein: BoA, you have an almost realistic scenario and a HQ where you have interactions with NPCs between missions, still, I think most people don't care about the plot too much and skip all the cutscenes. Maybe you could do it, but I don't think a lot of people would want to help considering this is very different from the kind of mods they like.

On 4/29/2024 at 10:47 PM, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Uh not really.

For a COD clone even the Doomguy would likely talk ngl

Regardless, it can be an interesting concept if discussed more tbh

Yes, but a lot of it is just cutscenes, not gameplay, some of it is from when the game had already dropped the idea of Doom 3 sequel on Earth, and there's a recent mockup made by an ex-employee that is looking for a new job, you can even notice that he uses footage and assets from the current game. This isn't like Duke Nukem Forever where the foundation for the game is already built and they just have to fill the blanks, you would need to build the game from scratch and it would be even harder on an engine like GZDoom, a fully 3D mod would require too much optimization and a WAD with sprites would require a lot of brand new art.

From the little footage available, seems like it could be a short atmospheric horror custom geo SnapMap, maybe with slowed player movement, and there are probably some maps like that out there already. That is, if you don't want to remake all the assets.

Remaking all the assets in any form would require too much effort to be viable, due to lack of context, levels and story.

Basically - it wouldn't really be the "unseen Doom 4", but fan fiction.

It could, however, be someone's 3D and animation skill showcase, providing it doesn't end up being a generic "look I remade X game in UE5" type of thing.

I realise that it takes less talent to develop for, but wouldn't basing this game on GZDoom be missing the point a bit? Id's entire identity at the time was, "look at how much the technology for our engine is developing for every single iteration/release!" This was pretty much Doom 4's entire selling point as well. Without the 12 years of introspection on the franchise to pass (and none of the original employees remaining on the team...), the idea of a development on or "return" to form would have never been considered. The game would play and look much more like Doom 3, or Quake 4. And I guess Doom (2016) could be considered a bit of a spiritual successor to Quake 4, but still.

There are a lot of Doom 4 assets that can now be used in SnapMap, if it was a PC exclusive map it could even use custom assets. But for a GZDoom "demake" you would probably need a lot more people to help you, there are a few textures and assets that could probably fit the theme in the Mods & Resources subforum, in fact, you should probably ask a moderator to move this topic there, because most users never even click in the 2016 subforum.

On 4/29/2024 at 12:21 PM, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Alot of us are aware of the lengthy development cycle of Doom 2016 which was originally announced as Doom 4, back when John Carmack was still at id Software at the time. Originally planned to be an id Tech 5 engine game, it later jumped to become a debute title for the id Tech 6 engine instead.

Originally announced as a Doom II-ish sequel to Doom 3 around the late-2000s, it would suffer from being a Call of Duty clone, resulting in the team at id Software referring to it as "Call of Doom" during development. By the end of early-2010s, the original version of Doom 4 was scrapped and John Carmack would leave id Software shortly afterwords.

The Doom franchise would get rebooted in the mid-2010s resulting in Doom 2016 to good reviews and resulted in the current boomer-shooter we still have today.

Given that it is very unlikely that the playable builds of Doom 4 (the ones when John Carmack was still at id Software at the time) will ever get leaked to the public, I wonder if anyone would be interested in creating a GZDoom project that would bring the Doom 4 we never got to a playable form using all the available video, concept art and screenshots, similar to the Duke Nukem Forever 2013 eDuke32 mod for Duke Nukem 3D which was made using trailers and screenshots from various iterations of that game prior to the leak of the 2001 build.

It would probably be a curiosity to be taken seriously, given that we will never see the John Carmack-era builds of Doom 4 get leaked anytime soon. Hopefully, anyone would be interested in spearheading a Doom 4 1.0-inspired project in GZDoom.

I want to clarify that Doom 4 is not a direct sequel to Doom 3. It's a self-contained Doom story that pretends to be a reboot. According to Todd Hollenshead, he stated it like this: "not a sequel to Doom 3, but it's not a reboot either" while he also said "Doom 3 was sort of a reboot."

Posted (edited)

At the moment, I think it’s difficult to recreate it, because at least we have gameplay footage, but they are short and about all the mechanics of the game, I think we don’t know, and forget about the levels, there’s no build yet, we won’t be able to do demakes of unearthed, ashes, exodus, veranda, New York and etc.
I made a reskin of eoa 2016 zombie using my frankensprite of fused zombies from this game, and unfortunately this is the only file with a full sprite sheet I have in my drive, I have frozen threads with my sprite for slayer skins, enemies from DE, and for this project, but mediafire son of a bitch purge all my completed sprite sheets that I made before and the links don’t work, and now I physically don’t have my computer and won’t be able to finish everything yet.

Edited by Wad overdose