[RC2] - Die Rowdy - 44 Maps, Boom Format

In true Christmas spirit, this gets released in May.

But Die Hard was released in July, and A Wonderful Life was released in June, so Christmas can be any time of year if you Christmas hard enough.

I'm glad I made four maps for this. It was a blast!

Hmm, mysterious. 41 maps in the maplist, 44 maps in the title and description... perhaps there are some secret maps :o

Nine million WADs in the world and I gotta play the one with maps smaller than my sister!

Following this project (and mapping for it) was so fun! So many good maps in this. HELL YEAH!

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

RFn1Da5.png

MAP25 - Ancient Storage Room - @NiGHTS108

NiGHTS108 and I were talking. And we came to the simple conclusion that things were better back then. Hate to say it really!

Oh, by back then we mean WAY back then! Back when they built the Nakatomi Plaza before the Americas were colonized. Not having been renovated since then really gives this floor a retro sort of feeling. 1560s retro, but y’know what I mean.

tWZDeC1.png

MAP38 - An Unexcpected Breeze - @NiGHTS108

Many of you PUSS enjoyers should have come to expect that we'd released a wad with at least one unfinished level. Believe it or not, NiGHTS108 intended it this way! Don’t let the exposed building supports scare you, they can’t be shot down by conventional weaponry! Not if you only shoot them once that is.

h9Dx8SI.png

MAP40 - Pounding Heartbeat - @NiGHTS108

You feel that? Yup! That’s vertigo! I’d reckon we’ve hit the stratosphere by now! Haha, don’t be silly, skyscrapers can’t go that high. More realistically, NiGHTS108 shows a demonic infestation that has nested itself neatly in the penultimate actual map of this building from hell (LA). Better gulp down an ibuprofen and get your hell cleaning gear ready cause it’s about to go down.

HA! All these descriptions are terrific. Great work getting this one out man! Really happy about my maps in it.

Edited by NiGHTS108

Posted (edited)

Most fun Ive had at the movies since Live Free or Die Rowdy. A true return to form.

Edited by Insaneprophet

2 hours ago, NiGHTS108 said:

HA! All these descriptions are terrific. Great work getting this one out man! Really happy about my maps in it.

Been a minute since I've ever done a thread like this. Super fun to write all of them. Took a second to find fitting real estate for them in the thread, but I think it worked out.

8 minutes ago, CyanTheGojiFan said:

44 MAPS

Yessirre! 220 if you play them each on a different difficulty!

Posted (edited)

It's been such a joy seeing this project come together, Congratulations on the official release! And loved the thoughtful write ups on each level, I promise to submit at least one Nightmare-fuel and/or silly level To "Die Rowdey with a Vengeance" where we all get the same city prefab or whatever you had in mind for the next one.

Edited by Yagacaw

It was a pleasure to be part of this project again! (My 4th PUSS participation) Congratulations to every mapper colleague, YIPPIE KA-YAY!

Posted (edited)

Guys I have to be honest

I'm extremely interested in this and wish I had of known about it I might have made a map but you know what

I'm totally swamped and I want to play it so bad I don't know if I'll be able to maybe I could try a one episode at a time kind of thing but damn this looks so cool I have to quit my job or something

Edited by Clippy

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Clippy said:

I'm totally swamped and I want to play it so bad I don't know if I'll be able to maybe I could try a one episode at a time kind of thing but damn this looks so cool I have to quit my job or something

Just play it in bite-sized chunks. Apart from the overall theme/gimmick there not much continuity between the individual maps. No problem to do them one by one.

(And please – don't quit your job.)

Edited by Grizzly Old B

I've found a couple of issues from maps 1 to 31 on Doom Retro 5.4, I unfortunately won't finish the remaining ones until I return back for perhaps a couple of weeks.

Spoiler

STARTUP is a PNG.

MAP12

The Imps on Sector 121 are stuck.

MAP13

Sector 221 is a damaging sector and can be stand on by the soulsphere.

MAP20

Not sure if it's supposed to be a misaligned texture.

1429456865_SleepStudyLabZ.png.1ef855bd203c58642fe744866bee7aca.png

MAP23

Could it have at least a green armor at the beginning? Because of the amount of shotgunners from the ambush that you don't have a lot of health after the santas.

MAP26

Linedef 76 has a SKY1 texture.

MAP30

The MIDI is very quiet.

7 hours ago, S3M_XM said:

I've found a couple of issues from maps 1 to 31 on Doom Retro 5.4, I unfortunately won't finish the remaining ones until I return back for perhaps a couple of weeks.

Hide contents

STARTUP is a PNG.

MAP12

The Imps on Sector 121 are stuck.

MAP13

Sector 221 is a damaging sector and can be stand on by the soulsphere.

MAP20

Not sure if it's supposed to be a misaligned texture.

1429456865_SleepStudyLabZ.png.1ef855bd203c58642fe744866bee7aca.png

MAP23

Could it have at least a green armor at the beginning? Because of the amount of shotgunners from the ambush that you don't have a lot of health after the santas.

MAP26

Linedef 76 has a SKY1 texture.

MAP30

The MIDI is very quiet.

I'll take a look at the imps in map 12. Thanks for bringing this to attention!

Greetings, turned out to be a fairly engaging compilation overall, however there's a question: did anyone actually playtest @Scionox's maps (all three of them)? I'm sorry, but they're ridiculously over the top, to the point where it makes me think even the author didn't actually bother. Or is it a common practice with these megawads?..

7 hours ago, Demonologist said:

Greetings, turned out to be a fairly engaging compilation overall, however there's a question: did anyone actually playtest @Scionox's maps (all three of them)? I'm sorry, but they're ridiculously over the top, to the point where it makes me think even the author didn't actually bother. Or is it a common practice with these megawads?..

I playtest my maps a lot as its fun to do so :P , several other testers playtested them too. If you are having trouble remember difficulty settings exist!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Scionox said:

I playtest my maps a lot as its fun to do so

If so - mind if I ask you to record no-saves, no-rewind, non-TAS demos of your maps? Any category would suffice as long as it's UV.

3 hours ago, Scionox said:

If you are having trouble remember difficulty settings exist!

Oh yes, I'm definitely the one to be reminded about it.

Edited by Demonologist

20 hours ago, Demonologist said:

I did. I managed to beat all of them on UV. With saves mind you, but still cleared. 

Elevator floor while tricky is still fairly straightforward in beating. Bridge Beyond can be very long but persistent strategies can overtop the hard parts. I will concede that Nowhere to Hide is very very very difficult and doesn’t really have, well, anywhere to hide. Appropriately, given the map name. 

Posted (edited)

@Scionox Even though I really enjoyed Nowhere to Hide on HNTR when I played it a while ago, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see an UV demo, too. Honestly cannot begin to imagine what that would even look like lol XD

Edited by Tiramisu

Posted (edited)

@BluePineapple72 I appreciate the answer, yet it seems I need to clarify: I'm not saying they're unbeatable, I'm saying they're overdone, and it affects the overall quality in a rather unpleasant way. Generally speaking, there's a very thin line between really tough but still well thought-out encounters on one hand and batshist insane and luck-dependant nonsense (again, generally speaking) on the other, if you'll pardon the expression. And alas, it's all too easy to cross that line.

For what it's worth - I did manage to beat m34 saveless at least (demo recording was off, sorry, and I'm not doing that one more time, no thanks), yet it doesn't really change anything I wrote above.

Edited by Demonologist

Posted (edited)

on map01 you can autodefenestrate through the collisionless windows here and softlock yourself (coords x 636 y 932)

image.png.7a9ba499ef052fcb814886e6435980e1.png
EDIT: also the text screen at the end of map01 cuts off in nugget doom/woof

Edited by Donowa

3 hours ago, Donowa said:

EDIT: also the text screen at the end of map01 cuts off in nugget doom/woof

At what line does it cut off?

49 minutes ago, BluePineapple72 said:

At what line does it cut off?

idk, i'm not a mapper

also i've been playing through this with the latest devbuild of nugget doom ( commit 3010793) trying to go into maps 07 and 11 from the intermission screen crashes the game
it probably happens on other maps since those maps in particular were the ones that had the textscreens in the original doom 2
@BluePineapple72 maybe add some extra dehacked textscreens there?