Games too scary you can’t play..

On 6/9/2024 at 2:38 PM, EraserheadBaby said:

Opposite end of the spectrum. 

I play Amnesia the Dark Descent a couple times a year as a comfort game because I love the old castle so much. 

i stopped playing out of fear before the first monster even showed up, mostly due to the excellent atmosphere and sound design

17 hours ago, Reigada said:

i stopped playing out of fear before the first monster even showed up, mostly due to the excellent atmosphere and sound design

Back when it was new, I would only play in 20 minutes increments.  The sound design and atmosphere indeed are that good. =)  (Also I loathe light mechanics where you have to find fuel/battery for your short-lived light... I like to take my time and really explore a world and that game design element is counter to how I enjoy games.)

Ignoring all the wannabe comedians, I've always found Wolf 3-D more scary than Doom for one specific reason:
No ambient sounds.
In Doom, if there are monsters awake and not yet dead, different types make different ambient noises to let you know they're out there. That audio is also somewhat positional, so you know roughly where they are.  I guess back when Doom 1 & 2 were still brand new I found that creepy as intended. But after a zillion ;-) hours of Doom that's just a helpful feature to let me know someone is still out there yet to be dealt with.

In Wolf 3-D, due to its mazey level designs and no ambient sounds, you have no idea if someone is hunting you down or where they came from.  If you hear that loud metal sound of a door opening you also don't know really which door is opening (so many large areas, so many doors). And Wolf 3-D's damage IIRC worked on proximity: the closer the target the more damage it takes. If you don't know someone's out there stalking you, and they come up right behind you and fire, you're toast! Easy to get paranoid. ;-)

How about Wolf 3-D having no automap feature??  I played through some levels for the very first time (got to Floor 7) but was mostly moving everywhere and backtracking unknowingly because of this.  It made the experience more scary.. and man I was looking forward to completing the whole game.  I had to stop because my recorded gameplay got corrupted.

First time playing and no memory of it is gone.. still havnt recovered from this yet and I was playing my 100% best.

Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2024 at 12:09 PM, DiavoJinx said:

(Also I loathe light mechanics where you have to find fuel/battery for your short-lived light... I like to take my time and really explore a world and that game design element is counter to how I enjoy games.)

yeah i'd always get desperate when that lantern started running out lol

though things like putting oil in the lantern and dragging the mouse to open doors and cabinets made the game feel a lot more immersive to me

Edited by Reigada

On 6/14/2024 at 11:19 AM, vanilla_d00m said:

How about Wolf 3-D having no automap feature??  I played through some levels for the very first time (got to Floor 7) but was mostly moving everywhere and backtracking unknowingly because of this.  It made the experience more scary.. and man I was looking forward to completing the whole game.  I had to stop because my recorded gameplay got corrupted.

First time playing and no memory of it is gone.. still havnt recovered from this yet and I was playing my 100% best.

If you think episode 1 was scary, wait until you get to Episode 2, Map 1.  You'll understand why soon enough.

Posted (edited)

Mortal Kombat 4.

The Game Over screen scare me a lot when kid, and didn't play the game for years because of that lol.

Oh, and the baby shits from Dead Space.

Edited by Herr Dethnout

STALKER Call of Pripyat with the mod Misery 1.2, because the gameplay is very hardcore and the atmosphere is dark and murky.