What did you miss

10 hours ago, Laocoön said:

Titanic, the film not the boat.

Damn it was so sick. I remember seeing it back in 1912. Being on the boat was so cool until the whole sinking thing. 

1 hour ago, kaleb. said:

Most TV shows and movies. I'm one of those freaks who almost exclusively watches YouTube or Twitch.

Watch Invincible, trust me.

As for me, I missed out on all that Fortnite hype these past years and I only now started playing it again. Last I played was back when it first hit the scene 

Posted (edited)

kill bill and hunger games ... the description of each as they came out turned me off from wanting to watch them

Game of Thrones and The Witcher ... and not going to

and many videogames

Edited by Amiga Angel

I'm glad I didn't miss Harry Potter since it got brought up, the books aged crazy well, the more I read the more brilliant her writing seems. But the worse the movie versions seem. I definitely wasn't old enough to appreciate them when they were new, though, going back as an adult improved them.

But I do miss most other things. All of Walking Dead, nearly all the MCU, all of Breaking Bad, the idea of catching it new just isn't that appealing to me. I like finding stuff retroactively more than I do being part of a zeitgeist, I find that it helps me form an opinion based on product in a vacuum and less as a piece of cultural history. 

I'm not a cinema goer so by the general consensus I missed on:

• A huge portion of Pixar and Disney Animation Studios catalogue.
  • Star Wars (not a huge fan of the franchise).
  • Superhero movies (be MCU, DCEU, etc. Though I watched the first Deadpool when it was still screening).
  • Star Trek (though I've seen some of the new-ish movies on TV).
  • Puss in Boots 2 (didn't think I would like it that much being a sequel, but I missed on seemingly the best animation Dreamworks has put out since the foundation of the studio).
  • The Walking Dead (didn't care about zombies, nor what the story was actually about, and I hated how it took so much of FOX's schedule here in Argentina lol, they migrated it later to AMC when the channel appeared) (thanks for reminding me of that franchise @ApprihensivSoul)

But the movies I wish I watched when they came out that come to mind right now are:

• The modern Sonic movies (I'll watch them in the wait for the third one's release)
  • The IMAX screening of Akira
  • The Pokemon movies that I haven't watched on TV (wasn't a huge fan of the franchise back then, and when I could watch the series there were huge gaps between episodes, seasons even. But Pokemon grew on me over time)
  • Dragon Ball Z movies from when Beerus showed up, onwards. As any Latinoamerican boy, I am not immune to nostalgia, I like DBZ. but I was phasing out of the franchise, and again, not a cinema goer.

I'm also not suscribed to any streaming platform like Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video, etc. So any BIG SERIES that were the talk of the town you've heard of and probabbly love, I missed them in their entirety, I don't know if I'll ever watch Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul. With the amount of shitposting they made around those series I would be pointing out each and every single memed scene or phrase non-stop (that did happen while watching American Psycho, I did enjoy they movie regardless).

I did watch the Fallout series on the high seas *wink wink* to see a car crash and I was greatfully surprised with how good it actually was...

Anime? Boy, most of the popular battle-shonens that weren't Dragon Ball, being:

• Naruto and by extension Shippuden and Boruto (most Naruto fans don't care for Boruto).
  • One Piece (no way in hell I'll start reading it now. My friends also are an unwanted reminder of when a new manga chapter releases).
  • My Hero Academia.
  • Demon Slayer.
  • Jujutsu Kaisen.
  • Attack On Titan, Season 2 to The Final Season Part 3 Part 5.2 Final Cut Extended ReMiX feat. Dante from the Devil May Cry Series & KNUCKLES (There was ONLY ONE SEASON back when I watched it and never catched up).

Not shonen but I remembered:

• Psycho-Pass Seasons 2 and 3 (seems that they weren't that good compared to the first).
  • And basically anything from 2015 or 2016 onwards that you can see on my MyAnimeList from 2015~2016 and up (my M.A.L. anime list sorted by airing date in descending order. Start dates and/or Finish dates on completed shows may not be logged).

Gaming-wise well, I stated before in other threads and my neocities site that I am quite anachronistic with the technology I have and acquire over time.

• Earliest console(s): 4 Famiclones from 5~6 years old to 10, a portable Mega Drive/Genesis at age 8 (not a Nomad).
  • Latest console: (modchipped) Playstation 2, for my 10th birthday (it was that or a birthday party, chose the former). A huge jump in technology from the famiclones and the portable MD/G (not counting the emulators I had on my dad's pc). I mean they were technically still making games for it but all I played were from before 2010 and/or older (collections) and the 7th gen consoles were all the rage at that point.
  • I really wanted a Wii. Cool games there, and also being compatible with Gamecube games man... I would have it with homebrew software running whatever the fuck I want nowadays, like I do with my PS2 now (don't have a powerful pc to emulate 6th or 7th gen).

Mind you, I was born in 2000 and I'm turning 24 in a couple weeks. No way my parents were gonna buy an expensive piece of hardware to let a small child play games hours on end and possibly break it (which did happen, the PS2 laser lost calibration after many falls), so it was famiclones and other cheap stuff until they considered make a bigger spend.

Now specific games:

• Playing Counter-Strike 1.6 on Cybers/Computer Cafe's (or whatever you call them in your area and/or mother tongue). Going to a cyber was a rare occurence, but that did get compensated later with the arrival of the Conectar Igualdad netbooks (spanish wikipedia article).
  • The many eras of Garry's Mod. I had the chance to buy it 2 times but each one of those wasn't on sale and didn't have a powerful enough PC to play it so I bought other stuff to make my money's worth. Games I was more inclined and/or capable to play.
  • Rockman Online. Back then I was really into Megaman X and saw gameplay of it and I really wanted it to play it, but then it got canned.
  • Pretty much the whole Sonic franchise. I have completed Sonic 1 through 3&K (thanks to the Mega Colection Plus on PS2) and Mania, and have completed Sonic Unleashed on the PS2. The rest of the games are either not completed (CD, Riders, 3D Blast) or never played (Adventure 1 and 2, Heroes, 2006, Unleashed on the 7th gen consoles, and anything after it (Sonic 4 doesn't exist btw), to name a few). I was hooked on the franchise because of the sheer amount of Flash games I've found online, the real games came later.

And going back on sailing the 7 seas thing, I wish I had my own PC and a bit more of computer knowledge back when I was a kid because oh boy Rapidshare and Megaupload were havens of pirated content. I saw my father download stuff off Rapidshare a lot, most of it were music albums. I know the download speeds weren't good back then but boy I would have a blast with the knowledge I have now.

Posted (edited)

Every Youtube/Twitch streamer ever, I feel like everyone is speaking another language when they talk about these people. Sometimes I watch videos of people here testing maps, but that's it.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

9 hours ago, Drywtler said:

They killed my Into the Badlands for that one. How could they.

That said, I didn't start Into the Badlands until it was done, because I missed it too. XD

You've probably made a semi-right call on One Piece. I love it to death, but if you didn't start during the hiatus last summer, waiting for the end is the right idea, and probably a couple years for everything to die down after that. I think that it's one of the best things ever written, (and I read ALOT of classical literature,) but it is still a children's story, not to mention I still hold to my earlier position of "Let things be judged exempt from their cultural impact." I got into it before it broke into the mainstream during Covid, so I had some protection from the online discourse, or I would have been burned out for sure, OP is a behemoth of a conversation starter.