TropicHELL - A tropical island themed MBF21 Community Project (OPEN SLOTS)

Posted (edited)

Maplist and episodes
These are the episodes we're going with. As explained in Rule 7, I'm using Scythe's difficulty structure aka Episode 1 is easy, traditional maps while Episode 3 goes all the way up to hard slaughter maps. Keep in mind the descriptions next to each episode are ideas. I'm not gonna bite your head off if you have a big temple in your Episode 2 map or whatever. Just try to keep with the name and setting of the episode (e.g. don't make a coastal map in episode 3).

Another thing to note, is that I am going to rearrange the maps later for better pacing and difficulty, so the mapslot you choose may not reflect your actual placement in the final wad. We're going to be aiming for 32 maps, so hold on to your butts!

Maplist:

Spoiler

Episode 1: "The Coast" (Large landmasses, cliffs, caves, coastal villages, tropical resorts, etc)  

MAP1: @Logamuffin
    MAP2: @rita remton
    MAP3: @Lizardcommando
    MAP4: @Beubeu
    MAP5: @Amiga Angel and @CBM
    MAP6: @Fun-E Personn
    MAP7: @Logamuffin
    MAP8: @BEG
    MAP9: @LibbyBibby
    MAP10: @Velcrosasquatch
    MAP11: @rebca

Episode 2: "The Archipelago" (Small scattered islands, boats, ruined temples and shacks, volcanoes, etc.)

MAP12: @MattFright
    MAP13: @Frank Harper
    MAP14: @Boss
    MAP15: @horselessheadsman
    MAP16:
    MAP17: @AshtralFiend
    MAP18: @ABearInThaWoods
    MAP19: @MoiraHeart
    MAP20: @Moustachio

Episode 3: "The Ruins" (Large landmasses, big temples, plutonia-esque jungles and structures, shipwrecks, etc.)

MAP21: @Heretic926
    MAP22: @MattFright

MAP23:
    MAP24: @Tiramisu
    MAP25:
    MAP26: @LSC Lasico
    MAP27: @stochastic
    MAP28:
    MAP29: @dac
    MAP30: @Logamuffin

Secret levels: (Make it weird and hard but still fit in with the theme)

MAP31: @ByRntStarOEI
    MAP32: @Kras

Credits

Spoiler

Overboard by @mouldy (aka the GOAT): Sea, sand and palm tree textures, along with many others.

Knee Deep in the Jungle by @Sergeant_Mark_IV: Palm tree and bush sprites, various textures
Epic by Eternal: Zombieman sprites, bonus sprites

Epic 2 by Eternal: Various textures

Ray Mohawk 2 by @Doomkid: Hula imp sprite

Lost Civilization by @Jaska: Various textures and sprites

Pirate Doom! by @Darch: Various sprites

Deus Vult II by Huy Pham: Sunglasses statusbar sprites

32in24tex-15 by @esselfortium: Various textures

Realistic Texture Pack by Rottking: Various textures
StalungCraeft Texture Pack by DooMAD: Various Textures

Important

This is my first real community project (the first one was a jokewad, though I learned some good project management skills with it), so please offer feedback where you can. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask me. I want to try my best to make this as good as possible.

Edited by Logamuffin

I would love to claim an early episode 1 map, something fast and easy-ish. I'll take a random slot in the 01-06 range if that's agreeable.

I want to claim a slot, but I'll probably be creatively bankrupt for a few more months. Good luck on the project!

Posted (edited)

I will take map 02!

Is there a deadline or am I blind and not seeing it.

(nvm I am blind)

Edited by Raith138

am i able to claim two spots? if so i'd like to claim map12 and map22, if not then only map22

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to take a slot somewhere in episode 2. Any of them is fine.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, MattFright said:

am i able to claim two spots? if so i'd like to claim map12 and map22, if not then only map22

Actually, I think I want to wait a bit before letting people claim multiple spots, since I don’t know how many people are going to participate in the project yet. I’ll give it a couple days and add you back in for Map22 if the slots aren’t claimed by that point, and let everyone else get a chance to claim multiple spots at that point as well. Just make absolute sure you have the time and energy for it…

Edited by Logamuffin

I would like to claim map slot 5

This may end up being a collab between me and cbm.. is it ok to make a map that is a city on a tropical island?

Isn't that your D2ICO map but on an island? It looks really familiar.

8 hours ago, Amiga Angel said:

I would like to claim map slot 5

This may end up being a collab between me and cbm.. is it ok to make a map that is a city on a tropical island?

Yeah, that’s fine! I might need to add some more textures to make a city map work though..

You know, I think I'm ready after D2ICO didn't end well for me. Sign me up for MAP29!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sikreci said:

Isn't that your D2ICO map but on an island? It looks really familiar.

it is .. or its a compact version of it... however .. cbm and me plan on making plenty of changes to it

this is just cbms island with a compact version of my city and the boat on it at the moment... I wanted to try some things in this map that will make this play very differently from the map I made for d2ico

45 minutes ago, Logamuffin said:

Yeah, that’s fine! I might need to add some more textures to make a city map work though..

cbm made some car textures and added them to a texture wad ... the wad has 32 in 24 and the new car textures and I am sure cbm would be more than happy to send the wad to you, that would also allow the custom sector cars cbm made to show up correctly on the map

also 32 in 24 has lots of city stuff

Edited by Amiga Angel

5 minutes ago, Amiga Angel said:

cbm made some car textures and added them to 32 in 24 and I am sure cbm would be more than happy to send them to you (they have been added to a custom version of 32 in 24 that also has tons of city stuff), that would also allow the custom sector cars cbm made to show up correctly on the map

Yeah, if you could send them to me, that’d be good. Also, can you join the discord so we can chat about your map easier?

Progress is coming along much more smoothly and faster than I thought. The buildings can be entered via silent teleporters. The Inn is more or less completed. I still need to make the inside of the restaurant and make some more adjustments with the island, including difficulty settings.

Mi0JmJX.png

17MPxS3.png

gj4GPEY.png

2 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

Progress is coming along much more smoothly and faster than I thought. The buildings can be entered via silent teleporters. The Inn is more or less completed. I still need to make the inside of the restaurant and make some more adjustments with the island, including difficulty settings.

Mi0JmJX.png

17MPxS3.png

gj4GPEY.png

Ooh, looks very nice! Though now that the project is getting going, I am noticing some limitations with the texture pack, it probably needs a good amount of additional textures, such as a better sand side texture and more island building textures. Again, if you have any suggestions for textures you would want for your map, give me a shout and I'll add them in.

If you're targeting MBF21, then UMAPINFO is also available, so you'll be able to split the project into proper episodes of whatever length you want, move the secret maps/exits, expand/shrink the available map slots based on interest, and so forth -- there's no need to stick to Doom 2's 32-map format.

Relatedly, it's generally a good idea to have folks reserve an episode (for theme's sake) but not a specific map slot, then figure out the optimal order based on the submissions that come in. If map slots are pre-reserved and there isn't a directed effort to have folks coordinate with their neighbors, you'll end up with super-wonky difficulty curves and pacing issues (e.g. 3 people making huge maps in a row). Or at least reserve the right to rearrange stuff afterward, so folks know to expect it.

7 minutes ago, Xaser said:

If you're targeting MBF21, then UMAPINFO is also available, so you'll be able to split the project into proper episodes of whatever length you want, move the secret maps/exits, expand/shrink the available map slots based on interest, and so forth -- there's no need to stick to Doom 2's 32-map format. 

Relatedly, it's generally a good idea to have folks reserve an episode (for theme's sake) but not a specific map slot, then figure out the optimal order based on the submissions that come in. If map slots are pre-reserved and there isn't a directed effort to have folks coordinate with their neighbors, you'll end up with super-wonky difficulty curves and pacing issues (e.g. 3 people making huge maps in a row). Or at least reserve the right to rearrange stuff afterward, so folks know to expect it.

Thanks for the advice! I was mainly sticking to the 32 map format with reserved slots for simplicity's sake. I am most likely going to rearrange the mapslots later, and I should put that on the OP since I didn't mention it. I am gonna be using UMAPINFO for this as well, so the episode lengths may change too.

Posted (edited)

Id like an episode 1 Map slot please (If there will be a lot of unfulfilled slots I can take more).

Edited by Fun-E Personn

Unfortunately I have to withdraw from this already. My computer is having some critical issues and I won't be able to replace it for months probably. :(

Posted (edited)

Me when I hear there's a vaguely Plutonia-related project:

Spoiler

gSl7e703puA6tSSfqW.webp

Sign me up for any episode 3 map other than MAP30! :)

Edited by Tiramisu