Unable to find sprite lump

PeterMoro

Question

I'm making a 'vanilla' 9-wad episode in UDB that is for Doom1 and uses Doom.wad as a base resource.

I want to make a replacement episode for Doom episode 1 that only uses Doom1 textures and assets, and I'd like to make it in UDB for GZDoom.

Whenever I load into UDB I get errors of missing sprite lumps. 

Why is this and how can I fix it? Thanks for your help.

MAP01 at 2024.05.08 10-59-47.209 [R4166].jpg

Doom.PNG

4 answers to this question

Doom 1 map names are ExMx format. You called yours MAP01, which is Doom 2's standard. Also, while you have Doom: Doom (Doom) format checked in the box, the actual map you're trying to load has GZDoom: Doom2 (UDMF) in the status bar.

Posted (edited)

By default there is no GZDoom UDMF config for Doom 1, so it will try to load a bunch of Doom 2 assets and then complain when it can't find them because you used doom.wad as your iwad resource.

You can make a Doom1 UDMF config and save it into your Ultimate Doom Builder/Configurations/ folder. Here's a mostly-working one, save it as something like GZDoom_Doom1UDMF.cfg . I haven't actually tried running GZDoom from UDB with this config so there might be errors still.
https://pastebin.com/raw/NvgGsWu5

I imagine someone has made something like this already but I can't find anything at the moment.

It still tries to load sprites for ZDoom's stealth versions of Doom 2 monsters, and I don't see a good way to fix that other than including all the Doom 1-only ZDoom stuff in that config, which I'm not about to do. You can ignore the errors, but if they bug you too much, you could also make a wad with the sprite names it's asking for (BSPIA2A8) and load it as a resource in the UDB config, just to shut them up. Of course whatever you do, you shouldn't actually use the stealth version of Doom 2 monsters.

Edited by plums

Posted (edited)

I note from your screenshot that all the errors are referencing sprites for things in Doom 2, but your initial WAD is for Doom 1 (which doesn't have chaingunners, super shotguns, archviles, etc). To the best of my knowledge, the gzdoom.pk3 resource doesn't include any sprites - those would be part of the original WADs.

The first screenshot confirms that this is a Doom 2 map (on the status bar at the bottom) so you may simply be using the wrong format.

Edited by Artinum

Thanks for all your help guys. You were all right, part of the wad was still stuck in DoomII mode. I saved the whole map as a prefab, then started a new map from scratch as a "Doom Doom (Doom format)" map. Then just imported the prefab. It worked!