D64Graphx.wad - Doom 64 graphics/sounds for Doom [1.1]

Posted (edited)

I JUST tested this thing out, its incredible! I've always loved DOOM 64s Monsters, Weapons and Textures, while also loving DOOM/DOOM II Maps, it feels like they merged! good job dude! keep it up!

Edited by MisterLivers

OHH, I've been waiting for someone to release this. Holy, I'll make mods with this pack someday.

Btw, I love shooting with this mod pistol, its sexy unlike original doom pistol :p

27 minutes ago, JustAthel said:

Well this feels slightly wrong...

(somebody was bound to do it sooner or later)

doom40.png.80fd08fa19f0250ede3900083d37c77a.png

It was literally the first thing I did, lol. I used Reliting too. It's like some kind of weird alternate universe version of Doom 64.

Posted (edited)

i think you should try making an alternate version with more accurate colors to the doom 64 designs (like making the caco's eye and blood yellow and red respectively) for people that play vanilla and don't care about skulltag

as for the palette, it proves that a d64 graphics pack can work well in vanilla without bad conversion, and manages to look better than even some truecolor doom 2 monster mods

however, there are some small changes i would recommend, namely tinting the gray ranges slightly blue/cyan to make the weapons and arachnotrons look better

and lastly (and this might not be possible considering how much work's already been done) i think most of the graphics assets would need to be rescaled to accomodate the vertical stretching that doom has (where pixels are 20% taller than wide) it's a minor thing that probably takes waayy too much effort to fix now, so i'd argue that you just ignore this last nitpick

Edited by Donowa

22 minutes ago, Donowa said:

i think you should try making an alternate version with more accurate colors to the doom 64 designs (like making the caco's eye and blood yellow and red respectively) for people that play vanilla and don't care about skulltag

as for the palette, it proves that a d64 graphics pack can work well in vanilla without bad conversion, and manages to look better than even some truecolor doom 2 monster mods

however, there are some small changes i would recommend, namely tinting the gray ranges slightly blue/cyan to make the weapons and arachnotrons look better

and lastly (and this might not be possible considering how much work's already been done) i think most of the graphics assets would need to be rescaled to accomodate the vertical stretching that doom has (where pixels are 20% taller than wide) it's a minor thing that probably takes waayy too much effort to fix now, so i'd argue that you just ignore this last nitpick

The Caco's blue blood is unrelated to the skulltag stuff, it's moreso done due to the colored blood options in ports like Crispy Doom, Woof and Nugget Doom.
The "blue cyan" grays, that screws over every other asset that uses grays instead of blues, from monsters to wall textures, not to mention the pistol would be blue too, I feel it's a better thing to sacrifice those colors in favor of everything else looking good enough including some pwads' own wall texture assets.
As for the sizes, I kinda just bulk resized a lot of the sprites, I sadly don't have the patience to go through every D64 sprite both official and custom that I've used and scale them to vanilla Doom's manually...

Posted (edited)

This looks so good!

And here was I just thinking about @DRON12261's VanillaPSX, too. Very appropriate.

Just the assets style being changes can completely change the experience of the game, I love it!

I really wanna play this but the Google Drive link doesn't seem to load at all for some reason. Is there any place else to possibly download this?

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out I'm being silly, I forgot my adblocker and Google Drive don't like eachother :P. It's good now.

Edited by elf-alchemist
nvm

D64GraphX changelog version 1.1:
- made tech lamps taller
- brown bricks are now brown again instead of gray
- fixed bad paletization in some textures
- new SP_FACE1
- added more Alien Vendetta support
- fixed missing credits
- prolly more shit I forgot idfk

Man, this is awesome! i've always loved D64's visuals, so this is great for me. just one nitpick though. the blood sprites when you shoot enemies are a bit distracting, could you make them smaller/less noticeable in a future update?