Issue Adding OBJ Files To Slade 3

Ghost_Ellis

Question

Reference: 

After following this guide I began trying to add my item into Slade 3, so it could then be used in game, however I'm encountering a few problems.

1:

The OBJ File refuses to be recognized by Slade, and shows as unknown.

2: Putting The OBJ between an S_Start/S_End Marker makes the obj a sprite, however, Slade 3 will say "Error Loading Entry".

3: Attempting to place the item in UDB does work, but the item appears as a floating error symbol.

4: Opening the obj file with the windows 10 3D Model Viewer shows that certain faces of the object we're not included in the 3d model, despite proper selection, and lines facing the correct way.

8 answers to this question

Image2.png.179e7ee9743aa986a772ef9c4ac4331b.png

You need to be working with PK3 instead of WAD. WAD's don't allow for data-tree structures that you need for adding models.

PK3 allows you to setup the structure like this (this is the model resource I've built for Dissension II).
OBJ's, their MTL and skin files all go in MODELS and are referenced from DECORATE, MODELDEF and ANIMDEF in the root directory.
The Frameindex 3DMDA0 (as appears in DECORATE and MODELDEF) calls an empty sprite in the SPRITES folder that all the models use as their "place holder" in Ultimate Doom Builder.

This Is What I Switched It To, But The Item Won't Appear In UDB's Decorate Tab,

Despite showing no errors. I just wanna be able to make and place stuff.

Why tf this gotta be so hard lmao.

What Do I Need To Add, Change, and or Remove from this PK3 to make this work?

My Model Uses A lot Of 3d floors, Is that why?

I also don't get any sprites upon exporting the item itself as a Wave front OBJ,

Do I need to make that myself using pixel art software?

image.png.559606a49b2589ad48695a8ee84e268e.pngimage.png.111c90474370189152c9a8beb074f97b.png

Posted (edited)

Maybe it's hard in Slade. I make my pk3s by zipping my folders and changing the extension. Slade is not needed to create a pk3. You can use it for that purpose, but you don't need to.

I just noticed something. Look at the frame name. Decorate has one name, and modeldef a different one. Create a small sprite(32x32. Any picture works), and name it "cmraa0", and replace the "tnt1" for "cmra". That's your problem. You don't need to offset the sprite. Just place it in your "sprites" folder.

Edited by FraggerX
Caught something

Posted (edited)

This is how I have this working for a model I exported from UDB and then added Decorate and Modeldefs:

In MAPINFO I have the following after the initial map title and all in a separate {} block. :
DoomEDNums
{
15664 = LeviathanA
15665 = LeviathanB
15666 = LeviathanC
}

This is my DECORATE:

ACTOR LEVA 15664
{
//$Category Models/Leviathan A
//$Title Leviathan A

Radius 333
Height 666
Mass 10000
+SOLID
+SHOOTABLE
+DONOTTHRUST
+NOBLOOD
}

This is what I have for the modeldef:

Model LeviathanA
{
    Model 0 "Models/LeviathanA.obj"

USEACTORPITCH
    USEACTORROLL

FrameIndex TNT1 A 0 0
}

Edited by DeetOpianSky
Corrected text.

Posted (edited)

His model needs to be turned on its side. Your modeldef wouldn't work for that, and he is using an editor number. His problem is the frame. He's using two different names for it.

Decorate has "camr", while modeldef has "tnt1".

Does the sprite "camra0" exist? We don't know.

Why is your collision box turned 90 degrees? Doesn't that make you miss when you shoot it?

Edited by FraggerX

19 hours ago, Ghost_Ellis said:

image.png.111c90474370189152c9a8beb074f97b.png

Your decorate file seems to be in DECORATE folder. The contents of that folder aren't read automatically. Move the decorate file to the same place/level where the MODELDEF file is.

Also what FreggaerX wrote: In MODELDEF the sprite name is tnt1 but in decorete it's CMRA.

They need to be same. The sprite name in MODELDEF is the one where the model is displayed in real game. "tnt1" is a good name for a model sprite bacause it's invisible and GZDoom handles it by it's own.

Model textures do not really matter here because obj models made in UDB use only the currently loaded textures and flats. All Doom textures and flats come direcly from the iwad. If there are special textures then you must include them among your project resources.

Posted (edited)

All my decorate files are in a folder named "decorate", but I have a "decorate.txt" file in the root, which includes them like so:

#include "decorate/thing.txt". He must have overlooked that part of the tutorial.

I'll post a screenshot later. 

Edited by FraggerX