1 SECTOR - Community Project idea

Posted (edited)

Not sure about GZDoom but vanilla has issues with one-sector maps due to some odd line of sight bug causing all monsters to become passive (presumably the game thinks they cannot see the player), so the maps should contain a tiny extra sector somewhere within the main one to initialize the reject table properly. I put mine near the start door.

EDIT: Also, larger res examples of my map:

Spoiler

image.png.67201c1c224890efc722fc124c1442a0.png

image.png.584b4906a8f5e8a902a1001844cf0877.png

image.png.5c0fe1819b583d30ded5aefe9278938d.png

Edited by iddq_tea

Also afaik if you have too many light sources (e.g. fireballs) inside one sector GZDoom will crawl to slideshow.

How that crates warehouse is possible with 1 sector? Patches magic? I made a map with the same limitations for Limit Buffet, i say why no doing another here?

In short, sign me in boss, i'm in.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

How that crates warehouse is possible with 1 sector? Patches magic? I made a map with the same limitations for Limit Buffet, i say why no doing another here?

In short, sign me in boss, i'm in.

I suppose middle textures. I was amazed too.

Do your map as map01 for now, I think we can change it to right slot later. My maps take 01 and 02, which isn't bad but iddqd_tea map also takes slot 01, so I don't know where he wants to see his map now

@iddq_tea , which slot I should move your map?

Edited by bobstremglav

Posted (edited)

Thinking about contributing something small to this project... Count me in!

DOOM0048.png.2cd229554344a6e2057971cf13fb7a89.png

EDIT:

@bobstremglav I'd like Map03, no one could ever forget their third time doing anything. Edited the map to fit the constraints of the but I do have one question in particular. Do the middle textures in the center of this area void the rules?

Edited by Quin
Edited photo and post

@Walter confetti

Middle textures. Gotta make sure they don't form a sector though, so leave a one-pixel-wide gap somewhere in there. This also explains why the collision is janky, impassable linedefs don't reset your velocity.

I had to add 64-unit tall custom textures to my map because you can't lower a 128-unit tall texture into the floor on the software renderer, it will "bleed" into the sector unless you create a second sector behind it and change its brightness or texture, which is not allowed in this project.

image.png.0eb4083b39799b27be853f742d5a3cdf.png

@bobstremglav Any slot is fine, but you can move it to MAP08 for now.

Since rules are more clear now, I take slots 1 and 2 for now. iddqd_tea takes slot 8

Check original post now for updates

Posted (edited)

I would like to make one map (slot 04) for this project. 

Edited by Proxy-MIDI
Add the slot.

I had an idea for a map and I already started making it. Slot can be map09 I guess. At least until Xaser comes in and explains UMAPINFO and MBF21.

If you accept novice mappers. I'll borrow 21 slots. I wonder what I'll do.

Interesting concept. @Clippy made a map once with actually only one sector, it is possible to make an interesting map where the monsters never attack for sure. Maybe a good gimmick for secret levels?

I’d offer to submit something but I need a break lol

This sounds insane... I'm in. I'm up to create some maps and music if I'm allowed

4 hours ago, bobstremglav said:

-But wait, even GZDoom can't run 1 sector maps properly!

What does this mean? GZDoom clearly can run 1 sector maps. So, what makes them improper?

2 minutes ago, BeachThunder said:

What does this mean? GZDoom clearly can run 1 sector maps. So, what makes them improper?

vanilla has issues with one-sector maps due to some odd line of sight bug causing all monsters to become passive (presumably the game thinks they cannot see the player), so the maps should contain a tiny extra sector somewhere within the main one to initialize the reject table properly. I put mine near the start door.

Here's explanation from iddqd_tea. I checked it today and even GZDoom has this behaviour

I updated list of rules, should be clear enough for now.

28 minutes ago, bobstremglav said:

Is it compatible with Boom?

Well MBF21 is an updated version of Boom, it's backwards compatible but it adds some features. If @Xaser drops by he'd explain it better. :P

1 minute ago, Plerb said:

Well MBF21 is an updated version of Boom, it's backwards compatible but it adds some features. If @Xaser drops by he'd explain it better. :P

Sorry, project is Boom compatible, meaning that if stuff you're going to use isn't supported by it then it have to be dropped.
I think you can still do a lot with Boom under such restrictions. Maybe I don't understand you correctly

20 minutes ago, bobstremglav said:

@Korni27 Sure! Just specify your map slot

If I can take two, it would be cool if I can take slot 10 and 32.

Well hi there. :P

Yup, MBF21 is basically "Boom 2", adds a bunch of new features and works in all the main ports folks use these days -- it's a direct upgrade. This project in particular would get a lot of mileage out of the "Block player" and "Block land monsters" flags.

The other side of the coin, UMAPINFO (which us also supported by the same family of ports), lets you arrange maps in whatever order you want, add secret maps wherever, split the projects into episodes if you want, and so forth. For community projects like these, it's best not to have people pre-reserve map slots (or to even have a fixed number of "map slots" at all -- the 32-map restriction is gone) and instead rearrange maps afterward to fit, else you'll get a very chaotic difficulty/theme progression (unless contributors go out of their way to coordinate with their neighbors, which typically doesn't happen).

I'd like to also claim one more slot, maybe MAP20.

Also, important discovery (will bother Bobby to update the thread with this information later): once the reject table has been created, there is no need for the extra sector anymore - it can be safely deleted. This can be a true one-sector project.

Posted (edited)

@Xaser, I don't think that these features will be so important to use.
If there will be more maps than 32 then "part 2" could be calmly published, also Doom 2 has vanilla support for 2 more bonus maps (33-34)

Edited by bobstremglav

This is a community project -- you're making the decision to remove these features from other mappers' hands, and their absence does nothing to benefit the project or its theme.

Keep in mind that this isn't something that requires a "version bump" on everyone's part -- folks don't suddenly have to learn a new map format (e.g. going to UDMF), or be restricted in port choice (e.g. transition the project to GZDoom), or anything of the sort. These features are freely available for use in the target ports, and their absence does nothing to improve the final product.

Posted (edited)

At this pace we could just reject MBF21 as well and go to ZDoom features and 3D models.

Beauty of this project is restriction, not power. You should make good map by your creativity and pure skill, not overkill port features.

Boom is long living and standartised source port, which map format is supported by much bigger variety of other source ports, giving more choice where to play it, while MBF21 is very recent and having to support it only for few developers and bunch of unnecessary features is pointless. These features are useful for very serious mappacks, but do you want Sunder, or Scythe, or Alien Vendetta level of quality from 1 sector map? I doubt that even these used MBF21 to be good.

Map amount also never was a restriction, many more projects were good while having just 32 maps or less, also nothing restrict us from splitting project into 2 wads. There is no guarantee that we will even have thousands of maps to struggle with.

Boom features are already more than enough, using even more powerful standart just removes the challenge. Boom is limit removing as well, which is more important because most scary enemy for now is medusa, which iddqd_tea already experienced.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/10_Sectors

Similiar project here, which had no trouble using boom-compatible and limit of 32 maps. They also didn't had problem of just splitting maps into another wad

Edited by bobstremglav

Posted (edited)

When's the deadline?

If it's fairly lenient, then Ill take map26.

edit: oh wait, I just learned how to read. Ill take map26, then.

Edited by LSC Lasico