SIMULATIONS (FULL RELEASE)

Simulations is a collection of 3-hour speedmaps focusing on detail and fun instead of making longer maps, with a secret gimmick included. I made a trailer for it. (spoiler warning)

Spoiler

Secret gimmick:

Spoiler

Are you really sure?

Spoiler

Like, seriously... It ruins the whole WAD.

Spoiler

Ok, if you insist...

Spoiler

Each map I made here is the exact same map built off of itself, I made sure that each iteration of the map is more painful to play than the last, taking more time and attention yet less and less enjoyment to beat it each time. Estimated completion time (if you're going for 100% kills) is 3 days of playtime.

Requirements:
PrBoom+ or DSDA-Doom Source ports (GZDoom does not work due to how it renders certain things)
IWAD: Doom II
# Of Maps: 32
Estimated Completion Time: 1 hour
Credits:
Everything - Me
Compatibility: Boom-Compatible.
Approximate Difficulty: ~TNT Evilution
Tested Ports: PrBoom+, DSDA-Doom, GZDoom (does not function properly)

You may modify redistribute this WAD as long as you credit it back to me.

download here (google drive folder)

12 hours ago, Monocled said:

The trailer is amazing. Visually stunning and informative.

In glorious 8K, a true work of art.

Posted (edited)

Interesting WAD... stuck it out mostly, though I wasn't afraid to noclip here and there lol

Went in with an open mind and there were some very funny moments and some very weird moments.

Some highlights and thoughts:

Spoiler

The first time the descending elevator into the lone zombieman happened, I stuck it out, first being shocked, then almost angry, then just laughing as it took 10 minutes to get down to the bottom, only to realize that it would be another 10 minutes back up. Thankfully I had some YouTube going so I was entertained the whole time. Definitely didn't touch that at any point afterwards! I absolutely used noclip every time I had to get the red key after a few times, and would do it again occasionally until I noticed it started from higher and higher lol

Spoiler

At some point when the secret in the acid pool that just lead to your death stopped being a secret and became a long tunnel (around level 20?), getting the blue key became obsolete since the end of the tunnel just teleported you to the box area. Thankfully, I figured I could abuse the linedef trigger for the blue key at that point so it wasn't very tedious, but it was still skippable entirely. Maybe to add to the tedium, have it teleport you back to the start in case the player goes for it first? That way the blue key is still required.

The linedef abuse that I used was to just walk along the edge of the tallest step until I triggered it without falling, making the column go down, before walking back into the platform, triggering the linedef twice without needing fall and go back up the steps. I don't know how you could get around this if you want to force the player to fall and make the round every single time since I'm just a beginner mapper, just wanted to give some food for thought.

Spoiler

I absolutely used a kill code once I got to map 30 but I did have a good laugh at getting a grasp of JUST how many Cyberdemons that was. That was a very funny moment and it slowed my pc down quite a bit! 

Spoiler

To me it seems like a funny shitpost, and for being that I really enjoyed the experience. I think it's fun when silly, sadistic WADs like this don't take themselves seriously.

Also, and please correct me if I'm wrong since I also only just use ZDL for DOOM and don't know much besides that, but I wasn't able to get this to run at all on anything but GZDoom - was that on purpose? I tried PrBoom+ and the latest version of DSDA-Doom and couldn't get it to run because of texture conflicts. If it is, thank you for confusing me thoroughly lol.

It took me about an hour and a half to go through it without trying to be a completionist on UV (idk if there's any differences with difficulty), it was a fun experience!

Edited by Laughados

13 minutes ago, Laughados said:

Hide contents

Also, and please correct me if I'm wrong since I also only just use ZDL for DOOM and don't know much besides that, but I wasn't able to get this to run at all on anything but GZDoom - was that on purpose? I tried PrBoom+ and the latest version of DSDA-Doom and couldn't get it to run because of texture conflicts. If it is, thank you for confusing me thoroughly lol.

It took me about an hour and a half to go through it without trying to be a completionist on UV (idk if there's any differences with difficulty), it was a fun experience!

Odd, when I tested, it worked just fine. Maybe it's a GPU-Related thing..? I honestly have no idea.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I just get basically the same error in both ports, I attached pics of what I got from ZDL when starting a new game. Boots up okay, but complains about the textures. Maybe I'm doing something wrong though? I am still quite new and just use GZDoom for everything...

Spoiler

PrBoom+:

simulationsPrBoom.JPG

Spoiler

DSDA-Doom:
 simulationsDSDA.JPG

Edited by Laughados

6 hours ago, Laughados said:

Yeah, I just get basically the same error in both ports, I attached pics of what I got from ZDL when starting a new game. Boots up okay, but complains about the textures. Maybe I'm doing something wrong though? I am still quite new and just use GZDoom for everything...

Reveal hidden contents

PrBoom+:

simulationsPrBoom.JPG

Reveal hidden contents

DSDA-Doom:
 simulationsDSDA.JPG

I'm thinking it's probably a ZDL thing.