1 Sector Community Project

I am in favor of using UMAPINFO for projects like these. In any case, be mindful of how many maps you're willing to accept, so that the project doesn't spiral into something you don't feel you can manage properly.

I like the vol. I + II idea but I guess we can have a vote. If we end up settling for more than 32 maps, we may also want to re-order the secret maps or do something more with them (like have more than two). We could have a secret exit once every 10 maps for example. The current MAP30 slot would be pushed to the actual last map slot, but we'll need to decide on a fixed number of slots first.

UMAPINFO is definitely planned, but the exact extent of usage is up for discussion, depending on several factors (like the map count).

Shouldn't the maps that are already submitted be linked to in the OP?

I was experimenting with the behavior of when you're out of bounds and not in a sector, and managed to make a small puzzle map out of it. It needs cl11+ to work properly for some reason so it'd be ineligible to include in this project (it'd probably break in several ports anyways) but I still thought I'd share it here, because it only uses 1 sector. :P It also uses Doom 1 textures so d1gfxd2.wad is needed.

voidpuzzle.zip

If the slot count does increase, I'll be happy to make a quick map for this :)

Incredible what you guys have managed to do with this so far 👀 I didn't realise just how much was possible with only one sector

@Phoenyx

I'll reserve you a slot! The decision to increase total slots has pretty much been finalized, the question now is how to re-order the maps and how many there should be.

I have this proposal: Every 10th map has a secret exit, so if we aim for 44 total maps, 4 of them will be secret and MAP40 will be the last.

Everyone who's claimed a secret map slot so far will get to keep it, it will just be shifted to another slot. Same goes for maps with secret exits.

15 hours ago, NinthBurn said:

Let's go for a walk, shall we?

Info

Hide contents

Map Name: Go Outside
Slot: 14
Format: Boom
Textures: included
MIDI: Sigil II E6M2, "Sleep of Reason" by James Paddock
Sectors: 1 :P
Tested with GZDoom, PRBoom+, Woof! & DSDA-Doom using complevel 9
Difficulty settings are implemented, and it does have coop spawns.

Download link.

Screenshots

Hide contents

7ZUnf0r.png

There are some textures included, but I only use half of them. I used the others in order to create the TEXTURE1 lump. I have added a marker inside the WAD to indicate the textures that I have used, there are not that many(some, like LAVAFAL and WFALL seem to be included in the resources mentioned by others).

Just played through this, top tier amazing! :) Starts off looking impossible but once I found all the "secrets", I was able to consistently beat it in one go.

@Phoenyx

Gave you slot 33, let me know if you'd like that changed!

Also shifted a few other maps around since Bobby wanted three of his maps to come in a row. If anyone wants their map slot changed, let me know! More slots will be shifted around once a better secret map/exit structure is agreed upon. If you already submitted your map, you don't need to change anything, I will make the final slot adjustments myself.

Enjoy this weird map I made :)

Map Info:

Spoiler

Map Title: You've Gone Too Far

Slot: 33

Custom Textures: ALLBLAK, repaletted FIREBLU and FWATER textures

MIDI: Dungeon Theme from Final Fantasy V

Tested with: DSDA-Doom V27.5

Known bugs: OpenGL may cause visual issues, software mode is recommended.

Screenshot:

Spoiler

doom19.png.8411ce3063733169cd69d936f38a2a7b.png

TOOFAR.zip

3 hours ago, iddq_tea said:

Just played through this, top tier amazing! :) Starts off looking impossible but once I found all the "secrets", I was able to consistently beat it in one go.

Amazing stuff. 1 sector, 3800 lines? That is some insane detailing. Gameplay is good too, though I finished the map on the second attempt by accidently finding the exit. Getting 100% kills is still very doable, especially because of the double invul. Getting through the first fight is easy if you rush the RL then retreat to the closet with the four soulspheres.

Only things I would change are:

• Not a fan of the Silver 3 textures, they seem out of place
  • In the two off-map closets at the centre right, with the flaming barrels near the PG, the metal walls seem a little flat because they have no sides
  • Maybe remove some of the goodies as there are way to many supercharges and invuls now

49 minutes ago, Phoenyx said:

Enjoy this weird map I made :)

Map Info:

Hide contents

Map Title: You've Gone Too Far

Slot: 33

Custom Textures: ALLBLAK, repaletted FIREBLU and FWATER textures

MIDI: Dungeon Theme from Final Fantasy V

Tested with: DSDA-Doom V27.5

Known bugs: OpenGL may cause visual issues, software mode is recommended.

I'm just going to assume this isn't possible to get 100%

Also, is it intentional that there's two exit columns?

9 minutes ago, BeachThunder said:

I'm just going to assume this isn't possible to get 100%

Also, is it intentional that there's two exit columns?

It is possible to get 100% kills, just gotta be careful with your ammo :)

The two exit columns is not intentional though, whoops! I'll fix that now
Thanks for playing! ^-^

@BeachThunder @Phoenyx

I got 100% kills

Spoiler

Cheesed it by luring the cyberdemons into harming the archviles and playing pacifist up until only several kills were left, it took me a while LOL

Very evil map.

My only remark is that the all-custom textures make it stick out a little too much compared to the other submissions so far, which use mostly vanilla textures and only some custom ones. If we introduce more similar textures to the 30+ slot maps, then it could work, but otherwise I would probably make a few visual alterations. I wouldn't mind the last episode being a bit more abstract and twisted :)

-

Speaking of which, myself and a team of people over on the Discord server were discussing the structure of the wad and settled on 43 total maps, where the multiples of 12 will have secret exits (so 3 total secret maps). I shuffled some slots around, the thread will be updated accordingly soon. Nothing is set in stone yet, but this will most likely be the final decision on the wad length. Everyone who had previously picked the secret map slots or Map15 will have their slots updated accordingly, since 15, 31, and 32 are now just normal maps. Full discussion as well as the current up-to-date slot list are available on the server!

4 minutes ago, iddq_tea said:

Reveal hidden contents

Cheesed it by luring the cyberdemons into harming the archviles and playing pacifist up until only several kills were left, it took me a while LOL

My only remark is that the all-custom textures make it stick out a little too much compared to the other submissions so far, which use mostly vanilla textures and only some custom ones. If we introduce more similar textures to the 30+ slot maps, then it could work, but otherwise I would probably make a few visual alterations. I wouldn't mind the last episode being a bit more abstract and twisted :)

Ah that's a fair point! I was just thinking that since my map would be a secret map, it could be a bit of an oddball and have more of an abstract visual aesthetic compared to the main set but it's okay if I need to change some stuff around. How much would you suggest I change?  :D 

@Phoenyx

Ohh, you wanted it to be a secret map, I will move it up to slot 43 then since that's the last secret map slot (41-43). In that case nothing needs to be changed, it fits well :)

I'll update the thread soon and the wad structure will make more sense!

2 minutes ago, iddq_tea said:

@Phoenyx

Ohh, you wanted it to be a secret map, I will move it up to slot 43 then since that's the last secret map slot (41-43). In that case nothing needs to be changed, it fits well :)

I'll update the thread soon and the wad structure will make more sense!

Oh, my mistake! I misunderstood how the slots worked LOL
But yeah, it might be better in the secret slots since I'm not entirely sure how I could work vanilla textures into the map and have it be cohesive. Happy for it to be Map 43! ^-^

- Fixed the 'exit column that wasn't meant to be an exit column but was an exit column' column
- Included a UMAPINFO and CWILVXX text just so the music works and the map title/author appears on the automap and intermission
- Fixed a texture that was scrolling too fast

TOOFAR.zip

Posted (edited)

After some brainstorming in the Discord, I'ma request an extra slot for a more showcase-ey funtime level.

The idea I have might normally fit more in a secret slot, but a non-secret slot would also work perfectly fine, and it could maybe float-around w'out a designated slot like my other level, in case anyone else really wants a secret or non-secret slot.

TLDR:

Spoiler

Shadow Of The Wool Ball fan level rush via conveyors, plus experimenting with trying to replicate as many sector effects as I can & experimenting with custom textures (that I make for the level itself,) and maybe some other nerd junk.

EDIT: Also, a note for other mappers here, I do MIDIs too, so if anyone wants one custom-made for ya level, lemme know.

Edited by AnArchaicApparatus

Posted (edited)

Doom Mappers when there's a Restriction-Themed Community Project at the Function aosa.png.0a62f0e1f2a7d9049708e46003b9f0c5.png

Edited by Helton342

On 5/15/2024 at 4:09 PM, NinthBurn said:

Let's go for a walk, shall we?

Info

Reveal hidden contents

Map Name: Go Outside
Slot: 14
Textures: included
MIDI: Sigil II E6M2, "Sleep of Reason" by James Paddock
Sectors: 1 :P
Tested with GZDoom, PRBoom+, Woof! & DSDA-Doom using complevel 9
Difficulty settings are implemented, and it does have coop spawns.

Download link.

Screenshots

Reveal hidden contents

7ZUnf0r.png

There are some textures included, but I only use half of them. I used the others in order to create the TEXTURE1 lump. I have added a marker inside the WAD to indicate the textures that I have used, there are not that many(some, like LAVAFAL and WFALL seem to be included in the resources mentioned by others).

Really good map! I like how it encourages you to be a bit methodical especially at the start and the combination of cramped slaughter and lots of recovery items plays out very nicely. Also super clean and pretty for the limitation it's in.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JackDBS said:

Map Title: Blow Your Brains Out

Feels incredibily crammed in the beginning, but once you figure out a strategy to move the monsters around, things becomes manageable. I liked it!

I did find some issues with the map, however:
Texture "METAL28" was missing from the pack; unless it's used in one of the resource packs posted in the OP, I haven't checked those yet.

Also, I don't know if this is intended. The following scenario looks like it should in hardware renderer(you can see through the walls), but in software renderer the following happens (unless it is intentional):

Spoiler

image.png?ex=664842af&is=6646f12f&hm=81f

Edited by NinthBurn

Hello there. Here comes a first version for my map. I hope you will enjoy ! ;) 

Spoiler

Map Name: Who Turned-Off the Light ?
Slot: 4
Textures: Vanilla + The Texture Pack used for this project
MIDI: "Cycle of Torment" by @bofu
Tested with GZDoom.

Download it here. ;)

7 hours ago, NinthBurn said:

Feels incredibily crammed in the beginning, but once you figure out a strategy to move the monsters around, things becomes manageable. I liked it!

I did find some issues with the map, however:
Texture "METAL28" was missing from the pack; unless it's used in one of the resource packs posted in the OP, I haven't checked those yet.

Also, I don't know if this is intended. The following scenario looks like it should in hardware renderer(you can see through the walls), but in software renderer the following happens (unless it is intentional):

Hide contents

image.png?ex=664842af&is=6646f12f&hm=81f

There is a resource pack that's used and that's where METAL28 is from. The other HOMs are completely intentional.