1 Sector Community Project

Posted (edited)

@Pistoolkip

The map was made by @NinthBurn, not me, so you might want to credit properly :) Nice video though!

-

EDIT: (sorry about a few false pings, I misread two whole posts on the last page)

Edited by iddq_tea

Posted (edited)

So I have started building a map around some tricks that don't work in GZDoom. (Sorry for being vague, I don't want to spoil the surprise just yet.)

The easiest solution would probably be to make a UDMF version of the map as well and include that, either as a 2nd wad or just to be loaded through ZMAPINFO. I don't know how you would feel about that. It can probably remain 1-sector only and it would be functionally the same as the Boom-version map.

Another option is just to include the map as-is and warn people it doesn't work in GZDoom.

Lastly I could rework the map so it's playable in GZDoom with just some visual weirdness at the end. This is my least favourite option, but as this is a community project I don't feel it's up to me to set the terms of compatibility etc.

Thoughts?

Edited by plums

32 minutes ago, plums said:

Thoughts?

My 2c - it's perfectly fine to exclude specific source ports that don't conform to target compatibility in a project that's all about magic of very hard and deliberate engine abuse.

My map definitely won't work on Eternity Engine, GZ might be another candidate (for different a reason) but not sure yet. I'm considering a warning text-texture at the beginning as the way of dealing with it.

This sounds like absolute Hell... and I'm all for it. Can I take MAP18?

Hey, sorry about causing a bit of a weird fuss over Fibonacci numbers, but I think I might bow out of this, if that's okay. I still have another map I'm working on for a different community project.

But I look forward to seeing what other wild things people make for this.

@Forgotten Soul You got it!

@NinthBurn Only internally, the Level 30 slot displayed on the thread will not be an Icon of Sin map.

All slots now gone for now, if anyone wanted to participate but was too late, you can keep an eye on this thread in case a slot opens up!

On 5/15/2024 at 10:51 AM, iddq_tea said:

Deadline yet to be decided, but will likely be sometime in summer.

hi! if it is not too much to ask, may i know which country the summer season you are referring to? for instance, summer in [new zealand] is in months of december-february. tq in advance.

@rita remton Interesting, I had no idea! The deadline will be decided very soon now that the project structure is more or less finalized, the summer season I had in mind ranges from June to August!

On 5/17/2024 at 12:11 PM, Proxy-MIDI said:

Hello there. Here comes a first version for my map. I hope you will enjoy ! ;) 

Reveal hidden contents

Map Name: Who Turned-Off the Light ?
Slot: 4
Format: Boom
Textures: Vanilla + The Texture Pack used for this project
MIDI: "Cycle of Torment" by @bofu
Tested with GZDoom.

Download it here. ;)

:ahem: May someone just test my map please ? 

On 5/17/2024 at 1:11 PM, Proxy-MIDI said:

Hello there. Here comes a first version for my map. I hope you will enjoy ! ;) 

Reveal hidden contents

Map Name: Who Turned-Off the Light ?
Slot: 4
Format: Boom
Textures: Vanilla + The Texture Pack used for this project
MIDI: "Cycle of Torment" by @bofu
Tested with GZDoom.

Download it here. ;)

You say you tested this in GZDoom and I don't know how different the experience there is, but the map is unbeatable on vanilla sourceports.

The exit in particular: it's completely invisible, it's as pitch black as any other wall in the map (I'm guessing GZ lights up the walls and things with dynamic lights?) but in vanilla everything is pitch black, only the light sources and firing monsters are fullbright. Some sourceports have a colored exit line in the automap but since I tested it on Woof, I didn't even have that luxury so I had to check UDB to find out which wall was the exit switch. But once I got to it, it was unreachable - the hanging corpses are the blocking kind and in non-GZ ports you cannot walk under them, so the exit is literally blocked off. The corpses aren't even visible to begin with so there's really no point in having any sort of hanging decorations in a map like this...

It's a neat concept and thank you for not making the fights super difficult, I managed to get through without dying, but I was constantly using the automap to navigate and even turned on IDDT when I was missing a kill to make sure it wasn't stuck in one of the closets (it wasn't). My eyes feel very tired after this, lol, I assume the experience is much nicer on GZ but it was just not fun in vanilla, sorry. Can you test the wad in something like DSDA Doom or Woof and make the necessary fixes?

Oh and P.S: testing these maps in GZDoom might not be a good idea for another reason, this wad might end up being incompatible with GZDoom due to some Boom hacks we used in other maps, which don't work in GZDoom. We may add some GZ-specific scripts to at least make the maps beatable, but nothing's certain yet, it all depends on the amount of incompatible maps. I will put this warning on the main thread, too.

Posted (edited)

Ready for public testing!

1s-fort-v1.zip

For playing this properly, get in this order, otherwise will not work: [source port] onesectortex.wad 1s-fort.wad

Title: Deadman Fort

Author: Walter
Slot: MAP01 (for testing purpose)

New Textures: Yes, named 1SW. Textures are taken from DBP and The Return Resource, as well as a pair of sprites revamped as textures.

New music: Yes, from Rise of the Triad

Tested and working with: DSDA-Doom, Boom 2.02

Description: A small fort of sorts sets in a abandoned void world where there's also a graveyard?

Edited by Walter confetti
fixed some bugs

On 5/24/2024 at 9:02 AM, iddq_tea said:

Oh and P.S: testing these maps in GZDoom might not be a good idea for another reason, this wad might end up being incompatible with GZDoom due to some Boom hacks we used in other maps, which don't work in GZDoom. We may add some GZ-specific scripts to at least make the maps beatable, but nothing's certain yet, it all depends on the amount of incompatible maps. I will put this warning on the main thread, too.

GZDoom has a ton of compatibility options that can be switched on in ZMAPINFO -- if there's some effect not working as intended in GZ, I'd take a look there first to see if that fixes the problem (and, if not, there's probably a bug to report).

1 minute ago, Xaser said:

GZDoom has a ton of compatibility options that can be switched on in ZMAPINFO -- if there's some effect not working as intended in GZ, I'd take a look there first to see if that fixes the problem (and, if not, there's probably a bug to report).

It's something I came up with, and has to do with how Boom sectors stop moving up or down at ±32000 units, whereas in GZDoom they do not. I kind of assumed this is not something that would get fixed, but I should report it anyhow I suppose.

Sounds like it's the type of thing that could use a new compat option, yeah.

6 hours ago, Xaser said:

Sounds like it's the type of thing that could use a new compat option, yeah.

Yeah, it might be worth reporting then. I'll look into it when I'm able, currently away from home and don't have a lot of time.

9 minutes ago, iddq_tea said:

Yeah, it might be worth reporting then. I'll look into it when I'm able, currently away from home and don't have a lot of time.

No worries, I've done it already :)

2 minutes ago, plums said:

No worries, I've done it already :)

Oh, thank you! :)

Is there room to add slots to this?  No worries if not, I haven't actually done any work but I have a silly little idea for a thing

Slight updates were made to the wording on the main post and an official deadline has been chosen. Also, two slots are open!

@Stupid Bunny Are you still interested?