How do I Make Custom Decorations in show up in Ultimate Doom Builder?

fdai

Question

Hello, I have been working on a small Doom 2 Wad Recently. It going well and is pretty fun to make. I was working on a secret level, and wanted to make Custom Decorations! I have a decorate lump and a MAPINFO lump and have been trying to get this to work for a couple of hours now. The decorate lump works completely fine to my knowledge but the MAPINFO lump is causing errors and wont allow my Decoration to display in Ultimate Doom Builder. UDB gives me this error by the way.

"Failed to apply MAPINFO DoomEdNum override "10002 = flower": failed to find corresponding actor class...".

What do I need to change to get this code to work?

MAPINFO:

DoomEdNums {
10002=FLOWER
}

Decorate Lump: 

ACTOR FLOWER 10002
{
    Radius 40
    Height 55
    States {
    {
    Spawn:
        FLOW A -1
        Stop
    }
}

17 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

If you're using decorate, you don't need to put the doomednums in mapinfo. Do it in the decorate only:

Actor my actor 1234

Edited by FraggerX

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, FraggerX said:

If you're using decorate, you don't need to put the doomednums in mapinfo. Do it in the decorate only:

Actor my actor 1234

Let me try that.

Edited by fdai

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, fdai said:

Let me try that.

Also, make sure you have a sprite named "flowa0", or your thing won't show in the editor

Edited by FraggerX

9 hours ago, FraggerX said:

Also, make sure you have a sprite named "flowa0", or your thing won't show in the editor

That stops the errors, and I have "FLOWA0" in the wad, but the decoration won't show up in UDB. BTW: I'm using DOOM: DOOM 2 (DOOM Format).

Decorate:

DoomEdNums{
155=flower
}

ACTOR flower 155
{
    Radius 40
    Height 55
    +S
    States {
    {
    Spawn:
        FLOW A -1
        Stop
    }
}

Posted (edited)

Are you loading your folder project as a resource? F2, I think.

Edited by FraggerX

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, fdai said:

... , but the decoration won't show up in UDB.

BTW: I'm using DOOM: DOOM 2 (DOOM Format).

That is not surprising since DOOM: DOOM 2 (DOOM Format) does not support DECORATE actors. 

Use one of the GZDoom format.

As for the doomednumber use only one methor:

• the doomednumer in DECORATE actor definition
  • the doomednumer in MAPINFO/Editor number definition

not both

If you use ZSCIPT instead of DECORATE then only use MAPINFO/Editor number definition

Edited by Kappes Buur

4 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

That is not surprising since DOOM: DOOM 2 (DOOM Format) does not support DECORATE actors. 

It does, GZDoom doesn't care about what the map format is as they all internally covert into the same thing, and there's no restriction on thing type numbers in the original format so you can place whatever thing you like.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

It does

No, UDB does not support Decorate/ZScript in the "Doom: Doom2 (DoomFormat)" game configuration. If you want GZDoom features in the editor you'll have to select a GZDoom game configuration.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, boris said:

No, UDB does not support Decorate/ZScript in the "Doom: Doom2 (DoomFormat)" game configuration. If you want GZDoom features in the editor you'll have to select a GZDoom game configuration.

It is unnecessary for UDB to know or care what an actor is to be able to place it, you can free type the doomednum. Though I would then say that UDB is out of spec if this is the case, as I previously noted GZDoom does not make the distinction. As long as the decorate object is defined, it's place-able regardless of format.

Edited by Edward850

5 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

It is unnecessary for UDB to know or care what an actor is to be able to place it, you can free type the doomednum. Though I would then say that UDB is out of spec if this is the case, as I previously noted GZDoom does not make the distinction. As long as the decorate object is defined, it's place-able regardless of format.

No, UDB isn't "out of spec", because the spec for Doom is no Decorate/ZScript. That's like saying DEU is out of spec because it doesn't show Decorate/ZScript things. And nothing stops you from adding a thing with the respective DoomEdNum in the editor - you'll just not see it with the correct properties.

1 minute ago, boris said:

And nothing stops you from adding a thing with the respective DoomEdNum in the editor - you'll just not see it with the correct properties.

So indeed you agree you can. I feel like this is an argument over semantics for some unnecessary reason.

Just now, Edward850 said:

So indeed you agree you can. I feel like this is an argument over semantics for some unnecessary reason.

This is about the things showing up in UDB, not what the engine does. Of course you can enter whatever you want for any value, that doesn't mean the UDB does (or has to) support it. I doubt you'd agree that UDB should re-enable all the GZDoom features in the EE game configs just because someone might make a map in a EE game config and decides to run it with GZDoom anyway.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, boris said:

This is about the things showing up in UDB, not what the engine does. Of course you can enter whatever you want for any value, that doesn't mean the UDB does (or has to) support it. I doubt you'd agree that UDB should re-enable all the GZDoom features in the EE game configs just because someone might make a map in a EE game config and decides to run it with GZDoom anyway.

It wouldn't really matter, EE doesn't read decorate files so its presence would either be redundant to complement an EDF file or user error. It would actually be a rather sensible idea in that case if you had a mixed EDF/DECORATE project.

Essentially what you have done is threatened me with a good time. :D

Edited by Edward850

Got the Actors to work in ZDoom and fixed my sloppy code. :)

8 hours ago, Edward850 said:

It wouldn't really matter, EE doesn't read decorate files so its presence would either be redundant to complement an EDF file or user error. It would actually be a rather sensible idea in that case if you had a mixed EDF/DECORATE project.

Essentially what you have done is threatened me with a good time. :D

I'm not talking about just Decorate/Zscript. I'm talking about every GZDoom mapping feature. 3D floors, sidedef texture scaling, dynamic lights. Fuck it, just put all mapping features of all ports into a single game config, what could go wrong?

Thing is, it's pretty easy to make a Doom map format config for GZDoom anyway.

Though if you're going to make a map for GZDoom specifically, then it's probably better to go for UDMF instead; as some of the GZDoom stuff is excessively complicated to pull off in the good ol' Doom format, if not outright impossible.

8 hours ago, boris said:

I'm not talking about just Decorate/Zscript. I'm talking about every GZDoom mapping feature. 3D floors, sidedef texture scaling, dynamic lights. Fuck it, just put all mapping features of all ports into a single game config, what could go wrong?

I was only talking about decorate.