Scorching Earth (32 Level Megawad)

2 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Edit the title, if it's limit-removing then it ain't vanilla.

Done. Thanks for the correction.

Just now, Somniac said:

Screenshots look really nice, is this GZ only?

This wad only works with modern doom engines. Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom isn't supported yet.

Posted (edited)

The starting map is very good. I played through it 100% completely without a single shot: content of the secrets as well as a large number of barrels that can be pushed towards monsters by fist allowed me not to use weapons.

Let's move on!

Edited by RaRu Des2122

how do you unlock the soulsphere in map01?

that aside, map01 is pretty good and it reminds me a lot of hellbound

6 minutes ago, TMMMS said:

how do you unlock the soulsphere in map01?

that aside, map01 is pretty good and it reminds me a lot of hellbound

The soulsphere can be unlocked by shooting the red glowing square in the nukage room with the megaarmor.

I'm a bit confused. If this is truly 'limit-removing' then why did you only test it with ZDoom-based ports? Are you sure the maps were made in your editor under the "Doom" format and not Boom or something? I'm personally going to wait until more reports come in but based on @Theespressoman's comment about DSDA-doom not working and Crispy not working in the .txt file, I'm not sure you can call that "limit-removing" at that point if it can only run in ZDoom-based ports.

Otherwise, once I get confirmation what format this actually is, I will play it as the screenshots look rather good.

8 minutes ago, Theespressoman said:

Cool looking .wad.

But it does not work in DSDA.

Sorry about that. GZDoom is the best option right now.

Upon thinking about it more, are you sure any custom resources (music, textures) are in "vanilla"-friendly formats? That could explain the port incompatibilities.

1 minute ago, bioshockfan90 said:

I'm a bit confused. If this is truly 'limit-removing' then why did you only test it with ZDoom-based ports? Are you sure the maps were made in your editor under the "Doom" format and not Boom or something? I'm personally going to wait until more reports come in but based on @Theespressoman's comment about DSDA-doom not working and Crispy not working in the .txt file, I'm not sure you can call that "limit-removing" at that point if it can only run in ZDoom-based ports.

Otherwise, once I get confirmation what format this actually is, I will play it as the screenshots look rather good.

The maps were all built in the Doom 2 Format (Vanilla?). Yes me calling it "limit-removing" was stupid lol. As of now the wad can be only played in ZDoom, GZDoom and Zandronum. Maybe some other modern doom engines as well.

1 minute ago, bioshockfan90 said:

Upon thinking about it more, are you sure any custom resources (music, textures) are in "vanilla"-friendly formats? That could explain the port incompatibilities.

Yes. Custom textures and the MAPINFO are not compatible.

Just now, Astro said:

The maps were all built in the Doom 2 Format (Vanilla?). Yes me calling it "limit-removing" was stupid lol. As of now the wad can be only played in ZDoom, GZDoom and Zandronum. Maybe some other modern doom engines as well.

maybe my console output would be useful

"Warning: patch SKY1 is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch SKY2 is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch SKY3 is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch AKANE2 is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch AKANE3 is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch AKANE4 is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch DOPEFISH is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch STRCLN is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch DAISY is in an unsupported format (PNG)
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:567:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1000:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm.c:2721:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2721:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2721:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:397:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Cannot open device /dev/dsp
ALSA lib pcm_a52.c:1001:(_snd_pcm_a52_open) a52 is only for playback
ALSA lib confmisc.c:160:(snd_config_get_card) Invalid field card
ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:482:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid card 'card'
dsda_InitGameController: invalid joystick 1
createPatch: Unknown patch format TITLEPIC."

Seems there may be GZDOOM stuff accidentally added to otherwise vanilla mapset, like the title.

1 minute ago, Theespressoman said:

maybe my console output would be useful

"Warning: patch SKY1 is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch SKY2 is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch SKY3 is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch AKANE2 is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch AKANE3 is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch AKANE4 is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch DOPEFISH is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch STRCLN is in an unsupported format (PNG)
Warning: patch DAISY is in an unsupported format (PNG)
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:567:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm.c:2721:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2721:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2721:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_a52.c:1001:(_snd_pcm_a52_open) a52 is only for playback
dsda_InitGameController: invalid joystick 1
createPatch: Unknown patch format TITLEPIC."

Seems there may be GZDOOM stuff accidentally added to otherwise vanilla mapset, like the title.

Thanks for this! I'll be releasing another version of SCORCH.wad that is compatible with Crispy Doom and Chocolate Doom somewhere in the near future.

Just now, Astro said:

Thanks for this! I'll be releasing another version of SCORCH.wad that is compatible with Crispy Doom and Chocolate Doom somewhere in the near future.

Sounds great, will probably also fix DSDA/Prboom issues too.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Astro said:

The soulsphere can be unlocked by shooting the red glowing square in the nukage room with the megaarmor.

Yes, by this way, and you can reach it with fist too. I hit this square several times because I did not immediately understand what the effect was (and the fact that it exists is clear from the sound of pressing the button at that moment).

Edited by RaRu Des2122

They seem to be UDMF maps as there are 0-tag linedef actions, looking in the editor. This would possibly work in DSDA if the .png graphics were converted to Doom graphics, I just don't know how comprehensive DSDA's UDMF support is at this time. If you wanted this to work in Crispy and/or Boom ports (forget Chocolate, the maps are far too large and complex) you'd have to rework the lines/tags every single map, which would be a lot of work, so you may just want to keep it GZ-exclusive for the sake of keeping it simple :)

I mainly use GZDoom. Didn't play yet but this looks very promising and wouldn't be surprised if it's an Honorable Mention or Cacoward Winner.

1 hour ago, IRod54 said:

Hellbound Pt. 2 essentially, I like it

Oh man. Z86 did it way better lol.

11 minutes ago, KneeDeepintheSludgemetal said:

Getting this error in both Crispy and Retrodoom

"patch in png format detected"

Working on it. You need to use GZ or ZDoom instead.

4 hours ago, Astro said:

Done. Thanks for the correction.

The title and first post still say "vanilla" -- if you replace that with "GZDoom" then it'll clear up all the confusion for everyone. If making the project run in other ports is something you're interested in doing, it certainly wouldn't hurt to give it a go, but only the reason folks are trying to play it in dsda et.al in the first place is because of the word "vanilla" in the title; change it to GZDoom and you're good. :P

For future projects, if you want your project to not be GZDoom-exclusive, you'll need to actively test the project in a different source port (e.g. dsda-doom) while you're working on it. GZDoom is very "permissive" and allows you to do things that might not work in other ports (e.g. PNG graphics, using tag 0 for lift actions, etc.), even if you're not intentionally trying to use GZDoom-exclusive features. If you only test in GZ, you'll inevitably hit one of these.

10 minutes ago, Xaser said:

The title and first post still say "vanilla" -- if you replace that with "GZDoom" then it'll clear up all the confusion for everyone. If making the project run in other ports is something you're interested in doing, it certainly wouldn't hurt to give it a go, but only the reason folks are trying to play it in dsda et.al in the first place is because of the word "vanilla" in the title; change it to GZDoom and you're good. :P

For future projects, if you want your project to not be GZDoom-exclusive, you'll need to actively test the project in a different source port (e.g. dsda-doom) while you're working on it. GZDoom is very "permissive" and allows you to do things that might not work in other ports (e.g. PNG graphics, using tag 0 for lift actions, etc.), even if you're not intentionally trying to use GZDoom-exclusive features. If you only test in GZ, you'll inevitably hit one of these.

Thanks for the correction :)