Posted (edited)

It's here! 😱 Super-psyched to see this in the wild!

Having beta-tested all of these over the years and followed Lazlo's work closely, I have to say it's been a massive inspiration to me. These are painstakingly-crafted epic environments. Lazlo has a really clean mapping style and a strong grasp on how to use UDMF features in creative ways to create abstract imposing environment. This is a really solid set of adventure maps with excellent situational storytelling. There are always multiple branching paths to explore, which loop back on themselves while somehow rarely leaving you at a loss of where to go (honestly the one time I got stuck it was my own fault for not paying attention).

The premise centres on exploration and presenting these awe-inspiring vistas with a few well-designed puzzles here and there, but Lazlo doesn't get lazy in his combat gameplay design. The encounters are well-designed, fun and challenging without being overly punishing.

Congrats on getting this out there, buddy! This is incredible work!

p.s. look at this guy spouting straight-up wisdom. I'm taking notes.

I believe you enjoy maps more when you feel like you are gradually mastering them and bending them to your will.

Edited by LordEntr0py

Thank you everyone for the really kind and encouraging words. I love you all.
Hopefully folks will enjoy playing them as much as I enjoyed making them.

I wanted to test it, but I think that this wad was unfortunately not made for me, but more for experienced players. I used the "Hey, not too rough" difficulty level, but died plenty of times; I felt lost many times on the map which was too big I think. That being said, I remain admiring of the work accomplished and the quantity of truly mind-blowing details, particularly on the lighting work I would say. In the end I lost my patience and used noclip, but unfortunately I didn't find the end.

I didn't really have the time to give any map a proper playthrough, but regardless, great job! Layouts show a lot of thought, the verticality is cool and strongly appreciated and the extra little details give this a ton of life!

@Korsuv Hi there!

I just started watching your video. I feel partly responsible for your struggles because I did not mention in the original al post that the maps in this pack were designed with video acceleration in mind. I use dynamic lights as the primary light sources throughout, which is why you can barely see anything in dark areas, and bright areas are far too bright and icky.

My apologies. I’m going to add that to the post.

Posted (edited)

Nice!

Just managed to play and record the first map.

Honestly the level of detail is insane and the battles on UV are hard but not impossible to beat (despite dying a few times)

Edited by BerserkerNoir

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this. Solid run!

You’re the only person I’ve seen make it through the overhanging walkway near the end without taking a single point of damage.

Hey Lazlo, any consideration to combining all your levels into a single wad? I'm talking about the RAMP levels and all the rest.

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 12:04 AM, Lazlo Panaflex said:

Progress is non-linear, so for the love of god USE YOUR MAP.

i tend to get easily lost in non-linear maps, so thanks for the heads-up on using the automap! i really liked your maps [die teufelsmaschine] and [crumbling castles]. going to give this mapset a spin. thanks for making and sharing it :)

Edited by rita remton

@Bryan T I’ve thought about it, maybe call it Camp Lazlo or something.

I’m about 50% of the way through a remastered version of the Corruption Trilogy that I want to get out in the wild in the next couple of months. 
 But yeah I don’t see why I couldn’t make an “everything I’ve done” wad fairly quickly if I don’t need to make any changes to the maps.

@rita remton thanks! I love making the types of maps that I enjoy playing myself, so whenever someone pops up to say they’ve played one and enjoyed it I get the warm fuzzies.

Also you gave one of my older maps a great review on here a few years ago, which I still sincerely appreciate :)

I hope you have fun playing the remaining maps!! 

Beat the main three maps yesterday and earlier today. (will do redux soon-ish).

Truly great maps that show progression as a mapper. Performance is great (compared to how some levels want to run at 30fps, these maps never went below 130fps) and level design in top notch, with the maps feeling like maps that could be good in BOOM/MPF, but are then enhanced by using GZDOOM features. My favorite kind of GZDoom map.

Really liked the look from the screenshots, so I gave your wad a go. Impressive work, especially liked the portals that lets on "look" into. Loved the eerie sci-fi atmosphere.

I've only managed to play one map for the the time being due to time restraints, which turned out to be map03 (I was drawn to the damaged tech hole because I always liked that kind of style. I played on UV and I actually didn't find it all that difficult. As a matter of fact, I beat it on my first attempt. There seemed to be plenty of ammo, health, and armor around to the point I was almost always full. The only few threatening situations were the traps that surrounded the player with chaingunners in close proximity, which I'm not a fan of, but managed. Everything other encounter was fairly easy to neutralize with circle strafing, infighting, or just retreating back to a better position, since there was usually plenty of room to maneuver.

Don't take these as complaints though, as everyone has different taste when it comes to difficulty in Doom. I actually enjoyed the combat as I feel it fits this style of wad. I always preferred a more relax gameplay in wads with a lot of detail and eye candy so I actually have the opportunity to admire it without being constantly harassed by some threat haha!

Of course I haven't fully completed the wad yet and still have a couple more maps to go, so I may be completely wrong. I'll give an update once I finish it though, but great job on what I've seen so far.

@ByRntStarOEI Thanks for the great feedback! It sounds like you played Die Teufelsbrucke, which is definitely the easiest of the 3.

im glad you enjoyed it. Please come back and let me know what you think of Der Teufelsturm. It’s the newest map and the one fewest folks have tried , so I’m still gathering useful player feedback on that one.