My dentist told me i need it removed.  It doesnt hurt.. its 100% pain free.  Have you had it removed??  How was it??

I read alot of stories online and this one particular person said it was still hurting even with the pain killers??  Think ill pass on this one.

Posted (edited)

You need to get them removed ASAP. Just because they don’t hurt now doesn’t mean they won’t later, and the sooner you can get them removed the less annoying recovery will be. 

For me I got all 4 removed at once, and only 2 days of recovery where I felt really fatigued and out of it on pain killers. After that, it was just making sure for about a week or two that the stitches dissolved and the holes didn’t open back up, and they did not. It’s a fairly quick recovery if you get them taken care of. 

Edited by DNSKILL5

1 minute ago, Kinsie said:

Why the fuck do people insist on asking an internet forum dedicated to hacking a three-decade old videogame for medical advice?

When you have a problem, isn't it common sense to ask your elders?

7 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

If your dentist says you need it removed, you need it removed.

Why the fuck do people insist on asking an internet forum dedicated to hacking a three-decade old videogame for medical advice?

I'm sorry.. but this section is for "Everything Else" right??  I didnt post it in the doom section..

9 minutes ago, DNSKILL5 said:

You need to get them removed ASAP. Just because they don’t hurt now doesn’t mean they won’t later, and the sooner you can get them removed the less annoying recovery will be. 

For me I got all 4 removed at once, and only 2 days of recovery where I felt really fatigued and out of it on pain killers. After that, it was just making sure for about a week or two that the stitches dissolved and the holes didn’t open back up, and they did not. It’s a fairly quick recovery if you get them taken care of. 

Sorry for hearing that, I only have to get 2 removed IF i agree.  Mine grew straight up.. nice and perfect. 

Just now, vanilla_d00m said:

I'm sorry.. but this section is for "Everything Else" right??  I didnt post it in the doom section..

Well, I mean, yeah. But isn't it better to ask this in a more fitting forum instead?

It's says "Everything Else", but it's still expect to be in the same medium as Doom, like talking about video-games and music or something.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Karnasis said:

Well, I mean, yeah. But isn't it better to ask this in a more fitting forum instead?

It's says "Everything Else", but it's still expect to be in the same medium as Doom, like talking about video-games and music or something.

Interacting with fellow doomers motivates me, just knowing im texting doomers online makes me feel strong.  And knowing some that went with the procedure. 

Edited by vanilla_d00m

6 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Interacting with fellow doomers motivates me, just knowing im texting doomers online makes me feel strong.  And knowing some that went with the procedure. 

I guess this does count as "Everything Else" so fine.

I hope everything ends well with your wisdom tooth or something 👍

Just now, Karnasis said:

I guess this does count as "Everything Else" so fine.

I hope everything ends well with your wisdom tooth or something 👍

Have you had it removed??  Thanks, but im not going to do it, I eat food with my back teeth.

3 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Have you had it removed??  Thanks, but im not going to do it, I eat food with my back teeth.

I think I had it removed a long time ago.

And I think you should follow Kinsie advice here.

Posted (edited)

I've had nine teeth removed, through a volunteer service which means no anesthesia besides local numbing. The pain/discomfort having them pulled was about a 3/10 with very little pain afterwards. I did not even need OTC painkillers. Compared to the exploding, agonizing pain of infection, exposed nerves, and abcesses, the dentist was a walk in the park. The teeth aren't "nice and perfect" if they're telling you they need to be removed.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

I don't plan to ever get mine out unless it gets painful. They filled a cavity in one last year. They don't hurt or cause any problems. Not going through the financial problems with that... and also I don't want to be knocked out.

You should absolutely listen to your dentist on this, but it's your prerogative not to do so.

Posted (edited)

2 weeks before my first son was born my dentist said that my wisdom teeth need to be removed.

Because i knew that my son will be born in that time window i had said that we have to remove them later.

Half a year later without pain or complications the same dentist told me that everything is fine with my wisdom teeth and now over 15 years after this meeting everything is fine too.

But nobody here can tell you what to do. You could ask another dentist for another opinion.

Edited by Meerschweinmann

2 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

My dentist told me i need it removed.

Did he tell you why they need to be removed?

It might cause problems later on they said.  But it doesn't hurt and im too scared to do it.. so I chose not to.

3 hours ago, Meerschweinmann said:

2 weeks before my first son was born my dentist said that my wisdom teeth need to be removed.

Because i knew that my son will be born in that time window i had said that we have to remove them later.

Half a year later without pain or complications the same dentist told me that everything is fine with my wisdom teeth and now over 15 years after this meeting everything is fine too.

But nobody here can tell you what to do. You could ask another dentist for another opinion.

I had a similar experience, hopefully it stays this way.

Posted (edited)

@vanilla_d00m I had all 4 removed they put a mask on me and told me to count down from 10 to 1. I never made it to 1.  When i woke up i was on the ride home. Just played video games that day drank soup and was fully over it in a few days. Dont remember much pain if any. Was 21-24 when I got them done.

Edited by LegendaryEevee

The focused attention on teeth maintenance lately surely is a weird one. Maybe one should make a wad about it.

Anyways,

2 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

It might cause problems later on they said.  But it doesn't hurt and im too scared to do it.. so I chose not to.

Just get it removed. Its the easiest dental procedure in the book.

And if you stick by your decision, why was this thread needed again to begin with?

I had all four of mine removed when I was 16, because my dentist, who I and my parents trusted, did X-Rays of my jaw and saw that my jawbone wasn't large enough to support four extra teeth. My teeth had always been fine, they grew in straight, a few cavities here and there, but there just wasn't room for the wisdom teeth to grow in and not completely rearrange my other molars.

It took an afternoon, and I remember being nervous, sitting down in the chair, they gave me a sedative, and I was talking to the dental assistant while I was being knocked out. We were talking about the high school I went to, he went to it as well, then I was gone. When I woke up, four of my teeth were gone. I got some really good painkillers, and they healed up quite well, no dry socket. It was easy, and I don't miss them at all. I can still feel slight indents where they should've grown in, but I can tell without a doubt that my jaw had no room for those extra teeth.

So yes, if your dentist is telling you that they need to be removed, they do. It's not excruciating pain, it's mild at best, and you get pain killers after. I'm thinking maybe your friend didn't follow their advice for after care, didn't cleanse the area, and went straight back to eating solid foods and it got stuck in the open wound, causing dry socket. Do what the dentist tells you.

I've experienced horrible pain in my life, to the point where I had doctors tell me that they didn't understand how I was still able to even walk or speak in a level voice due to the shear amount of pain I must've been experiencing. I would put having my wisdom teeth taken out at a level 2, around the same level as a bad headache. You'll be fine, and listen to your dentist.

I had to get all 4 of mine removed because my mouth just literally doesn't have room for them. It's fine. I went under general anesthetic and woke up and had ice cream and put ice on my face. it's not a biggie, if the dentist is saying there's potential for them to cause problems then definitely get them removed sooner rather than later.

but I'm also not a freaking dentist so maybe listen to them instead of asking randoms :)

17 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

I'm also not a freaking dentist so maybe listen to them instead of asking randoms :)

Echoing the "listen to the trained professionals" sentiment. 

It's not a big deal, I just got zonked out hard on nitrous, and there was 0 discomfort at all.

But yeah, what Murdoch said - 'listen to the professionals'.

A video game forum is no place to be asking such questions...

🤗 Don't worry, it is 100% painful, just go to the dentist.

Wisdom teeth are a weird topic because I hear a lot of people talk with extreme urgency about removing them, but on the other hand there's also a lot of people who say it made zero difference to them when they ignored it. You can't really listen to anyone other than your own dentist though so you might as well just do it if it won't cost you too much

10 hours ago, Kinsie said:

If your dentist says you need it removed, you need it removed.

It's weird that I've seen it happen twice, weirder that it was both related to dental health too...

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, oneselfSelf said:

It's weird that I've seen it happen twice, weirder that it was both related to dental health too...

At least this one is just averse because it's a scary dental procedure, which is like... a halfway understandable feeling?  Rather than being ideologically opposed to dental work because the capitalists are using fluoride to turn the frogs gay.

So we're trending towards sanity.  Maybe in another few weeks we'll get a thread where the OP is like, "I had a cavity so I went to my dentist and got it filled, just thought I'd let yall know"

Edited by jerrysheppy