Would DOOM be in the same genre as Garten of BanBan?

As you know, most DOOM players don't just play DOOM, and I am a part of this list. As a serious gamer, I sometimes look into other series and genres, and the one that has been interesting to me, a professional autist, is this whole wave of "Mascot Horror" games. Not that they are good or promising, though that could be debated with some of them (*Ahem, Indigo Park), but because the garbage ones are so insane that its hard to NOT laugh at them (Garten of BanBan is a perfect example).

With this knowledge, I am surprised that it took me this long to actually notice this. The main characteristics of these games would be of the following:

• The game follows an episodic structure, with the first episode being for free, and the rest behind a paywall.
  • The game must have a gimmick, and have relatively simple game-play.
  • The game must have a monster that is marketable and can be sold in stores with hundreds recognizing it.

Now, we both know that Garten of BanBan follows these rules nicely, but there is a glaring issue; DOOM (Specifically the first entry) follows these rules as well. Hear me out:

• DOOM has an obvious episodic structure, with the first episode being free to play.
  • DOOM has the gimmick of having 6 devastating weapons, and the fact that it is a maze game with monsters.
  • DOOM has several iconic demons, from the Hell Knights to the Cyberdemon, an it has been proven that yes, you can make money off of selling merch of them.

Is this all? No. As we know, these games are completely different. BanBan tries to tell its story via its environments and characters, and BanBan has a completely different approach to horror that DOOM doesn't follow. However, if DOOM isn't mascot horror, how is DOOM a first-person shooter? Is DOOM like Quake? Quake does its horror completely differently, and although DOOM and Quake have a familiar philosophy in terms of game-play, they both play completely differently. What about DOOM and Call of Duty? They both are first-person shooters, but to say they are the same is like saying that Drake is as close to quality as Beyonce (it's not close). If we are going to hold DOOM by this thread, then whats stopping us from strengthening that thread by adding another one?

So, in summary, DOOM is the best mascot horror game ever.

The mascots in mascot horror are ones for fictional companies inside the games universe. A lot of them have those characteristics but that's not what makes them mascot horror

Mascot horror can join terms like character action game and scotformer for how seriously I take them

Posted (edited)

The best part of mascot horror is that the title itself is a misnomer.

Because that shit always forgets the horror part, or is just so milktoast and terrible that calling it horror is generous at best and a lie at worst.

Garten of BanBan is literally one of the worst culprits, on top of that fucking 7 of them have released in the span of a year so it is quite genuinely thoughtless mass produced slop.

Edited by mrthejoshmon

Mascot horror fell off after FNAF security breach. Only the bendy sequel caught my attention 

I don't think these games are in the same league at all to be honest. Doom is nowhere near as good as Garten of PeakPeak.

... What?

On 5/20/2024 at 9:35 AM, YeOldeFellerNoob said:

DOOM has an obvious episodic structure, with the first episode being free to play.

This was common practice back in the halcyon days of shareware. It's no more a point of similarity than saying a bear is similar to a cat because they have four legs.

how is DOOM a first-person shooter?

Because... it's a game where you shoot things from a first person view?

they both play completely differently

They really don't. Identical they are not, but they are objectively not completely differently either. 

So, in summary, DOOM is the best mascot horror game ever.

It really isn't. You got accused of shitposting cause this is a shitpost and you're clearly not being serious. 

2 hours ago, Murdoch said:

This was common practice back in the halcyon days of shareware. It's no more a point of similarity than saying a bear is similar to a cat because they have four legs.

Black Sabbath was considered Acid Rock when the first album was released. It wasn't until hundreds of artists started to do the same sound when people started to call

it Heavy Metal.

Because... it's a game where you shoot things from a first person view?

Yes, but DOOM plays differently from other FPS games like Quake and Call of Duty

They really don't. Identical they are not, but they are objectively not completely differently either. 

That is the point: They play similar, but they aren't exactly the same, just like how Peak-ten of BanBan plays similar to DOOM. Both are games that have very similar elements, like puzzles and mazes.

It really isn't. You got accused of shitposting cause this is a shitpost and you're clearly not being serious.

I am as serious as they get. In fact, I get so fucking pissed when people don't take me seriously. It is why the admins gave the title of "The WORST DOOMWorld Member In ALL Of History". If you don't think I am serious, i will get serious. So serious, that I will blow my back off (pause) and Superman my way to whoever says I am not serious. You better watch it pal, or you will face the wrath of YeOldeFellerNoob.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, YeOldeFellerNoob said:

Yes, but DOOM plays differently from other FPS games like Quake and Call of Duty

This a quality crap post argumentation.

How many FPS existed before DOOM? Its definitely less than 10. FPS for a few years were known as Doom Clones.

One of my faves was actually a NES game called Star Voyager that was a First Person view space flight sim and real time shooting and flying. It was pretty novel despite not being terribly well known. Kinda like Descent FreeSpace but late 80s release instead.

Edited by kalensar

32 minutes ago, YeOldeFellerNoob said:

That is the point: They play similar,

DOOM and Quake have a familiar philosophy in terms of game-play, they both play completely differently.

If you're going to troll people with a stupid argument and then insist you are being serious, at least try to make your points actually consistent.

36 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

DOOM and Quake have a familiar philosophy in terms of game-play, they both play completely differently.

I am pretty consistent.

This thread reminded me of a game I had heard about somewhere. It had the theme of mascot horror, but the gameplay was an immersive sim, with character upgrades and different weapons, similar to bioshock. Does anyone else remember that game or what it was called?

Yeahhhh, your definitions only really outline superficial elements instead of core gameplay structure and designer intent. If you want to make meaningful comparisons, you need to go a bit deeper.

In terms of monsters, mascot horror is built around its monsters in a very different way to first-person shooters: the combination of narrative emphasis and enforced player helplessness (as is endemic to the genre) means that the monsters get plenty of presence in terms of both gameplay and in the player's head. That effort would be severely lessened if you could just blow a golf ball-sized hole through the first one you see, which is why you generally can't.

First-person shooters like Doom usually put less emphasis on their monsters: in terms of design ethos they generally exist as a challenge or obstacle that the player can definitively overcome and FPS games treat them accordingly. Levels aren't often built around them in the same way that they'd be built around your average mascot horror monster and the "marketability" of the monsters in question only really exists because of the excellent design of the games that they were used in: I have to imagine that there are plenty of mediocre or bad games out there with amazing creature designs that people will never see.

This is just one point of comparison that I chose to wax lyrical about: I could probably write an essay about this sort of thing, but this particular example demonstrates the differences in philosophy between the two game types enough that I'm willing to leave it at this. This isn't to say that there can't be overlap between the two (unkillable Hunter-style monsters are a good example of this), but there's enough differences that the umbrage people are taking with your statements is well-founded.

19 hours ago, Skullzrawk9 said:

This thread reminded me of a game I had heard about somewhere. It had the theme of mascot horror, but the gameplay was an immersive sim, with character upgrades and different weapons, similar to bioshock. Does anyone else remember that game or what it was called?

My Friendly Neighborhood?

4 hours ago, DoomPlayer00 said:

My Friendly Neighborhood?

Yeah, that’s the one!

thanks.

On 5/20/2024 at 2:35 AM, YeOldeFellerNoob said:

DOOM has the gimmick of having 6 devastating weapons, and the fact that it is a maze game with monsters.

This makes Doom the biggest Wolfenstein 3D clone ever. 

Like, it has all; weapons, mazes and monsters.

Posted (edited)

EDIT: I actually wrote a half decent-post, but i realize i should follow what we recently discussed, except for this:

On 5/22/2024 at 4:50 AM, YeOldeFellerNoob said:

I am as serious as they get. In fact, I get so fucking pissed when people don't take me seriously. It is why the admins gave the title of "The WORST DOOMWorld Member In ALL Of History". If you don't think I am serious, i will get serious. So serious, that I will blow my back off (pause) and Superman my way to whoever says I am not serious. You better watch it pal, or you will face the wrath of YeOldeFellerNoob.

Regarding the bolded: I suggest you grow up and stop acting like you think this is funny. It's not.

Edited by Redneckerz

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Regarding the bolded: I suggest you grow up and stop acting like you think this is funny. It's not.

Hello. I personally think it's funny. However, I am open to people expressing their opinion :)

Posted (edited)

I hate the mere idea of this question and I hate the fact you actually have a good point even more.

vo4shuuc3e401.jpg.bffcf58b2e9aa0040d054320b9481aa7.jpg

Edited by bonkmaykr

"Would DOOM be in the same genre as Garten of BanBan?"

shutterstock_753294010.jpg

Posted (edited)

Someone do Diogenes' ''Plato's Man'' equivalent of this argument on this mf already.

Edit: Nvm, I'll do it.

Pacman is mascot horror.

Edited by VICE

banban is kino, it unironically entertained me for hours, even if it was ironic.