Would DOOM be in the same genre as Garten of BanBan?

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 4:17 AM, dasho said:

character action game and scotformer

Tf is a Scotformer? Am I having a stroke while I'm reading that?

Edited by Mr Masker

57 minutes ago, Mr Masker said:

Tf is a Scotformer? Am I having a stroke while I'm reading that?

Mascot Platformer

1 minute ago, dasho said:

Mascot Platformer

Oooohh right. Makes sense kinda

Mario brothers is a mascot horror game about two men from Brooklyn who get sucked into an inter-dimensional sewer system and wind up in a universe where sentient turtles rule the world.  The mario brother's must then forever engage in the Sisyphean effort of rescuing a princess who never puts out.  The horror.  The horror. 

4 hours ago, Osmosis Bones said:

Okay... but counterpoint: Doom wasn't made with the sole purpose of selling furry plushies.

But hear me out...

What if it was.

Posted (edited)

I've never played BanBan, nor do I know what it's about.

I think the joke is funnier if I never find out what it is and it just remains complete gibberish nothing. If I was to learn about the 'lore' I'd probably hate it anyway.

Edited by Mr Masker

1 hour ago, dasho said:

Scotformer

That doesn't translate well at all for its intended slang reference.

Scott Pilgrim transformer megazord?

Scotty Doesn't KNow About Former Trans?

Great Scott Marty Fluxformer?

Scot Former, MD.

A Former Scottsman?

3 hours ago, RataUnderground said:

Fortunately for us, Ahoy already established three weeks ago which genre Doom belongs to.

Well... No. Doom is the Daddy of FPS. With Wolfenstein being the Grand-daddy. And Catacomb 3D with Hovertank 3D being great ancestors

What Ahoy described "Action RPG". That is more in line with Wolfenstein RPG, Doom RPG, Doom 2 RPG, Ultima Underworld, Dungeon Master. And well, Gauntlet, the top-down game he put in the video

All i saw was the words "garden of BanBan" and my "i really really really want to be an asshole" mode kicked in.

All i will say is that Garden of BanBan is NOTHING like Doom

2 hours ago, Helton342 said:

Well... No. Doom is the Daddy of FPS. With Wolfenstein being the Grand-daddy. And Catacomb 3D with Hovertank 3D being great ancestors

Battlezone is a game with a first person perspective, where you can shoot.

All this 'Daddy' nomenclature seems like a daddy issue people have with these games. Really, it's arbitrary, considering similar games coming before the quoted examples (Maze War, for instance).

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

All i saw was the words "garden of BanBan" and my "i really really really want to be an asshole" mode kicked in.

All i will say is that Garden of BanBan is NOTHING like Doom

I'll do it for you.

This is like saying the sky is made of water, because the sky is blue like the reflection of water under the sky.  Or that sunflowers are made of cheese, since their petals are reminiscent of processed cheese product due to coloration.

Does anyone else see the fundamental problems with these very loose points of comparison based on extremely surface-level, hardly relevant factors somehow being used to establish some kind of a meaningful link between the two brands?  I get that this whole topic was created to do nothing but rustle our jimmies but the whole premise of this topic just consumed 473.176 ml of adhesive product in the first argument.

Edited by vyruss
clarity

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Guff dotD said:

Battlezone is a game with a first person perspective, where you can shoot.

All this 'Daddy' nomenclature seems like a daddy issue people have with these games. Really, it's arbitrary, considering similar games coming before the quoted examples (Maze War, for instance).

Those games do not have a concrete/Unique Character profile (like in Catacombs 3D and beyond) now do they. You are playing as a nameless character/unit

It's like saying a Chess piece is the same as a Tactical RPG Character (I mean in a way they are. But Chess pieces only serve function, rather than having depth to them)

Edited by Helton342

Posted (edited)

I kinda missed when doom became a horror game.

or when it got any resemblance to dingdong barter or whatever the heck that other gaem is

Edited by WSADKO

2 minutes ago, Helton342 said:

Those games do not have a character profile (like in Catacombs 3D and beyond) now do they. You are playing as a nameless character

Ahoy uses this fact to connect Doom and Wolf3D (and co.) to other action RPGs that came before it. What does this mean? Probably nothing, as you can make any argument and provide equally valid evidence in either direction.

What genre Doom belongs to doesn't even matter as much (to me), since it contains influences from sources as varied as Action-horror like Evil Dead movies to bits of the Alien trilogy to its contemporaries, etcetera etcetera. What irks me is the people ignoring notable first-person perspective games before Doom or Wolf3D or Cata3D, as there are plenty.

8 hours ago, RataUnderground said:

Fortunately for us, Ahoy already established three weeks ago which genre Doom belongs to.

Sadly, he is British.

I don’t know anything about what’s going on in here but the Residents are pretty cool

This thread is what happens when you have hair follicles growing out of your goddamn iris.

More specifically, it's what happens when people dredge up threads from close to a week ago that have already run their course. And this one's course was already not terribly amazing to begin with.