Most Hated Design Tropes in Wads?

Just an FYI for folks who post in these types of threads, you can't just go "this thread is about hating stuff so you aren't allowed to call me out on anything I say". If you post something that's way out of line or not grounded in reality, someone's going to protest. That's just how it works.

14 minutes ago, LegendaryEevee said:

However when hours of work go into these videos, we post them before a "Community of like minded individuals who love the game" and they don't take even a second to like your workThen the community is not supporting the creators.

I empathise with you, believe me. I can spend weeks or months on a map, and sometimes twenty people ever play it and give feedback. That's a pain every creator feels, in Doom or anything else. But the thing is - they don't have to. We're not entitled to praise for making something. That's not how that works. 

21 minutes ago, LegendaryEevee said:

And how many of these do you see on Youtube for non doom people to see.  Let's check what's popular today:

Nightmare and UV World Records emmhmm  I'm not seeing puzzle or strategy anything...

Still nothing.  So if I knew nothing about DooM and wanted to learn about it I get Dean of DooM, Speed Runners, Nightmare and Slaughter.  I'm sure I would pick it up and love to be part of the DooM Community.

The search results you get are what YouTube thinks you're interested in, so this only tells me that this is the type of content you consume. If I search the same thing in an incognito tab (i.e. one where I'm not logged in), I get quite different results: BigMacDavis's walkthrough on top, some other longplays, thinkpieces talking about Doom II, soundtrack uploads, and yes, some speedruns and slaughter maps, but also WADs like Pirate Doom II and Crate Expectations, and if I click on one of those (thus indicating interest in PWADs), I get links to videos of other WADs like The Quinary Conundrum and Die Rowdy.

33 minutes ago, LegendaryEevee said:

And if I look at DooM Channels online I see things like this constantly

Here you're just searching for channels with Doom in their name or description, most of which aren't even Doom content creators. For example, the "Doom 2 Playthroughs" channel you screenshotted has only one video, which is an OPL playback of D_RUNNIN.

12 hours ago, suzerduzer said:

Not to derail this awesome thread but there's a great browser add-on that restores annotations on Youtube videos that once had them (including this one). I believe annotations are actually still accessible on older videos, they're just not viewable by default.

This map is fairly interesting btw, must have been a bitch to route though.

Oh, awesome :D

736280285_Screenshot2024-06-10144812.png.2db1f625931ea2aa20b222750c084fab.png

The sacred text has been restored.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2024 at 4:33 PM, NaliSeed said:

Huge-ass maps with hundreds and hundreds of enemies, i. e. , slaughter maps. Unfortunately, we seem to be getting tons of those lately and less and less classic style maps. 

I don't think criticisms like this are valid (in the context of this thead). This is not an annoying design feature in a map, it's a category of mapping, and it's a very, very good thing that different genres of maps exist. And it's not like there's a fun level you're playing and then suddenly the map is ruined because it's a slaughter map - if you don't like slaughter maps you don't like that map and shouldn't play it. Sometimes otherwise enjoyable maps can be ruined half-way through by something like a tricky platforming section which slows the action down, or a super-RNG fight that turns the map into a massive grind etc. But a slaughter map is a type of map, and you can and should avoid the entire map if you don't like it. Removing this as a 'design trope' doesn't really make sense - if you take that away from a map it's a different map entirely, whereas a map with a tough platforming section can potentially become enjoyable by removing the platforming and leaving the rest of the map as is.

It's like talking about film tropes people don't like - somebody might say that they don't like when the film builds up to a very tense plot climax which is then resolved through deus ex machina which is very unsatisfying, but then you're coming along and simply saying you don't like horror movies.  

On 5/26/2024 at 6:35 AM, ebrl said:

I hate it when authors make the wad they think players want to play instead of making the wad they want to make

Big true.