Looking for beta testers of my WAD for low-color rendering machines

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone. Don't know where to post such threads exactly, but it's definitely Doom related, yeah.

About a month ago I've seen a post about running Doom on htop (linux process viewer), it looked like this:

playing-doom-on-htop-linux-process-viewe

And I thought that the presence of many colors in IWAD causes such machines and systems to render the image with significant noise effects. Like here:

6yxkcq29ln7.jpg

So I decided to change the whole Doom palette to 8-bit colors with additional sprite & texture editing. I've got this so far:

Spoiler

d7ogcxvz3qy.png

3yrgc96de94.png

6yxkcq29pb7.png

my2pc568qz7.png

3yrgc96ekq4.png

e4gdcmna3q4.png

k739ck3dnl7.png

I'm planning to release this WAD anyway, but I need to finish it first.

At the same time I'm still wondering how exactly my project goes on such displays with low-color rendering.

Can anyone help me with that? I mean, to run my wad on htop or on the Playdate or on the pregnancy test, etc.

(Thanks in advance!)

I'm not sure it really helps the situation with displays, but I can't judge for sure before seeing it in action.

P.S.: What do you think about my screenshots at all, btw?

Edited by Dexiaz

Posted (edited)

I've always liked the way you expirement with aesthetics. I remember that sketch-style thing you did a few years back, cool stuff.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

Posted (edited)

I can try running it in doom ascii, I can try it in htop too but its really buggy and doesn't render color

Edited by Monocled

The screenshots look cool, but seeing a video recording would give a better impression, I think. Can't say about the "exotic devices", apologies, but would this be relevant for all the crazy low color video modes FastDoom supports? Don't have a proper EGA monitor to test, but could give a try with VGA output of my onboard chip in EGA mode and a generic SVGA display attached to it.

On 5/27/2024 at 5:13 PM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I've always liked the way you expirement with aesthetics. I remember that sketch-style thing you did a few years back, cool stuff.

Thank you very much!

19 hours ago, Monocled said:

I can try running it in doom ascii, I can try it in htop too but its really buggy and doesn't render color

Yeah, that's might be possible, but even without colors sprites and textures are "simplified" a little bit, maybe it will help the situation with rendering. I'll PM you.

8 hours ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

would this be relevant for all the crazy low color video modes FastDoom supports? Don't have a proper EGA monitor to test, but could give a try with VGA output of my onboard chip in EGA mode and a generic SVGA display attached to it.

Sure, let's try that! I'll PM you too.