GAYhem 2024 - The (Gender)Queer Doomer's Community Project! (Recruiting)

All good, don't worry.

Anyway, here's the opening I have so far without the berserk tint:

6JncAR0.png

Hey! 🤗 Sad to hear that the project decided not to go with conservative vanilla limits, but come on, it didn't have to. I wish everyone involved good luck and all the best. You can do it! 💗

I wish I could make something for this but I just don't have the time cause I work so much. Best I can contribute to this apart from the off-and-on playing of any maps is a concept sketch I had for a map a long time ago.

Spoiler

It involves lost souls

I am actually just halfway pondering here - What if you made a map that uses the TRANMAP, but call it TRANSMAP?

I realize this does absolutely nothing for the goals of this mapset, but in my mind its a fun way of using a underutilized feature and making it GenderQueer compatible, as a nice tongue in cheek.

In either case, carry on. Love to see how this theme goes, and above all that the rainbow theme (if any) is used in clever ways. 

Unfortunate that this isn't vanilla, but I have a lot of time to kill so consider me interested!!

Oooooooooh, excellent idea for a community project, surprised it hasn't been done already really! I'll totally have to keep an eye on this . . . don't necessarily sign me up as a mapper right now but I'm intrigued

4 hours ago, No-Man Baugh said:

When you're in the map editor launcher and opening a map: select "Boom + MBF21" in the port field and then open your map. now you should have access to all the special MBF21 features

Thank you! I'm not seeing that option in the port list though - is there anything I need to download to enable this? Or will using the Boom option suffice? I'm not planning on using any fancy features.

sign me up! I'm probably going to wait until the resource wad is fixed before I make anything.

I'll try to throw in a map for this, I've had some creative burn out recently but I'll muster up something small probably

I really like the idea of this and I'm interested in joining, though I got a few questions to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly:

1. I'm not quite sure what format the maps are suppose to be buildt in, MBF21 right?
2. Are there any rules or limits for the maps? (size, difficulty, ect)

Posted (edited)

Yeah, if you accept contributions from a beginner, I'd like to participate!

One question: I didn't see any mention to the music used, so I could use the original music(or the music from any IWad)? I got no talent for music so I can't compose my own tracks :D

Edited by SilentD00mer

*Takes my truck stop napkin with GAYhem scrawled on it and crumples it up in frustration*

Seriously though, love the concept.  I'll see if I can throw something together for this!

Oh! That's a lovely idea~!  Okay... no promises, especially since I'm planning on participating in RAMP again this year, but I'd love to put together something for this!

8 minutes ago, TMD said:

*Takes my truck stop napkin with GAYhem scrawled on it and crumples it up in frustration*

Seriously though, love the concept.  I'll see if I can throw something together for this!

We need a more catchy name for this honestly, and GAYhem is fucking hilarious. I’m biased though, I named my community project with a pun in the title also..

6 minutes ago, Logamuffin said:

We need a more catchy name for this honestly, and GAYhem is fucking hilarious. I’m biased though, I named my community project with a pun in the title also..

I did an asexual flag themed map in an Abyssal Speedmapping Session back in 2021 (ASS52 map07) so I am amused that somebody already jumped on that scheme.  Ill see what other theme I can go in on this time, the resource pack looks promising!

That said, looking at the instructions set up by OP, this wont necessarily be one month.  But if it is, and its during pride month, its basically MAYhem but in June and also Pride oriented, so I cant NOT give something resembling a blessing.

Posted (edited)

This is a project with a lot of potential. I won't be able to participate due to lack of time, but I thought the idea was marvelous.

Just beware that people may appear in disguise just to infiltrate and cause negative controversy. Please be very strict when it comes to evaluating the maps and seeing who gets into the project or not. I'd hate to see bad people trying to ruin an initiative like this. 

Looking forward to play it!

Edited by The Royal We

2 hours ago, DoctorNuriel said:

Thank you! I'm not seeing that option in the port list though - is there anything I need to download to enable this? Or will using the Boom option suffice? I'm not planning on using any fancy features.

You probably don't have the latest version of SLADE, the MBF21 config was added in v3.2.3. Using the Boom option would work though; MBF21 has the same map format, just with a few additional linedef and sector types.

yeah i'll map for this :) glgl to everyone participating, and it's nice to see a cp with a tighter deadline like this.

2 hours ago, Foxo said:

I really like the idea of this and I'm interested in joining, though I got a few questions to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly:

1. I'm not quite sure what format the maps are suppose to be buildt in, MBF21 right?
2. Are there any rules or limits for the maps? (size, difficulty, ect)

You can use MBF21, there is no restrictions besides the map has to be at least of IWAD quality!

Posted (edited)

Looks like a quite interesting project!

Despite there's other projects for which I still hope to make a map, I'll see if I can do something for it particularly, but there a couple of questions I have.

Music - we can only use MIDI, I suppose?

Length - do you accept short Scythe-like maps (5-10 minutes duration in general) or there's no restrictions at all and we can do anything which is not lasts a quintillion hours?

BTW, I think it would be good to make it slot-free, but still, it's your project and it's up to you, :)

Edited by Async Unicorn

2 hours ago, SilentD00mer said:

Yeah, if you accept contributions from a beginner, I'd like to participate!

One question: I didn't see any mention to the music used, so I could use the original music(or the music from any IWad)? I got no talent for music so I can't compose my own tracks :D

You can use any midi you have stored on your computer (as long as it isn't too ugly :P)

2 minutes ago, Async Unicorn said:

Looks like a quite interesting project!

Despite there's other projects for which I still hope to make a map, I'll see if I can do something for it particularly, but there a couple of questions I have.

Music - we can only use MIDI, I suppose?

Length - do you accept short Scythe-like maps (5-10 minutes duration in general) or there's no restrictions at all and we can do anything which is not lasts a quintillion hours?

Yes, MIDI is the music format we're using, ans the map can be as long as you can make it, as long as it doesn't take an hour to finish on a regular playthrough :P

6 hours ago, NiGHTS108 said:

Oooooooooh, excellent idea for a community project, surprised it hasn't been done already really! I'll totally have to keep an eye on this . . . don't necessarily sign me up as a mapper right now but I'm intrigued

Actually, I take back what I said, I'm mapping for this! I think this'll be a nice project :)

I'd be down for this given that I identify as nonbinary. However, given that I'm currently moving house right now that deadline seems mighty-tighty. So I might check back, depending on how long it takes to settle into the new place.