No waterfall texture?????

I have been away on holidays for a month, and I just got back. I started messing around in UBD a bit and realised there's no waterfall texture in Doom 2, despite me thinking there was one. Now I'm confused.

Does anyone know of any simple waterfall textures that looks like it was out of Doom, sort of like the bloodfall texture, but water? Now I want one so I don't confuse myself again and so I can actually use water textures for walls. I can't make one myself, because I am TERRIBLE at making textures, and I don't know how to convert the colour of textures.

FreeDoom Phase 2 has a waterfall textures. You can find them in the Map01 even. I the name is WFALL1 thru WFALL4

There is a waterfall texture in the Plutonia IWAD you can use, but I think the one from 32in24-15 (I think that's what its called?) looks way better. Its simple enough to import either of those into your maps, just make sure you have all 4 animated frames and that they're in the correct order in PNAMES/TEXTUREx (if you're using GZDoom I think you can ignore that last bit).

41 minutes ago, Somniac said:

but I think the one from 32in24-15 (I think that's what its called?) looks way better.

Thanks for telling me! Just looked at the texture, and I really like it, and it works well for my wad. Thank you!

Incidentally, the reason why adding WFALL1-WFALL4 textures to a WAD "just works" without requiring any additional hacks is that this animation sequence has always been defined in all versions of the game despite there being no textures for it until Final Doom. This may be why you misremembered it as already existing. (It's the same story for the nonexistent SWATER1-SWATER4 animated flat, which can also be used simply by providing the missing flats for it.)

10 minutes ago, Foxpup said:

(It's the same story for the nonexistent SWATER1-SWATER4 animated flat, which can also be used simply by providing the missing flats for it.)

And I had no idea this was the case until just now.  Must take advantage of this somehow

You should look at Lost Civilization, it's got three different waterfall textures. OTEX also has a very fast, 8 frame animation waterfall texture.

Just for reference, remember that Doom 2 didn't need actual-water waterfalls in blue amid the 90's Doom atmosphere. ;-)

Bloodfalls (literally the name of an entire level) and nukage-green falls suited Doom's aesthetic just fine.

FWIW, I've seen several modern WADs include blue falls as next textures.

15 minutes ago, DiavoJinx said:

Just for reference, remember that Doom 2 didn't need actual-water waterfalls in blue amid the 90's Doom atmosphere. ;-)

Bloodfalls (literally the name of an entire level) and nukage-green falls suited Doom's aesthetic just fine.

I think its more that they made a texture that was very specific (it was a waterfall with some sort of panel visible behind it) and just didn't make use of it. It only makes sense if your map is supposed to be set in some sort of reactor or other technology that requires a lot of cooling, and even then it is still a bizarre texture (like why is there a panel directly behind a waterfall? why can't I walk through it? [and if you can walk through it, perspective is ruined])

It is a nice looking texture but in any case, I'd say that adding the usual recolored SFALL/BFALL to Doom1/2 mapsets is an extremely common practice because it really is a loose end that begs to be tied up.

Posted (edited)

Here's a compilation of official and official-ish waterfall textures, as well as some mash-ups I made of them.

Edited by Gez

Another option, if you're strictly working with only Doom2 textures, would be the COMPBLUE texture. It's the closest you are going to get to water for a linedef texture. Doesn't look half bad either, if you apply wall scrolling (In boom) to it. Just takes a bit to setup depending on how crazy you get with waterfalls.

I would suggest taking the WFALL patches from 32in24tex and using those. Just name it WFALL1-4 in the TEXTURE1 list. Works even for vanilla.

The lack of lavafall is also noticable, as stock asset-only wads have to use the awful brain texture from the final boss which has fleshy bits on it and just looks like a lavaflat on the wall

47 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

The lack of lavafall is also noticable, as stock asset-only wads have to use the awful brain texture from the final boss which has fleshy bits on it and just looks like a lavaflat on the wall

The fact that it looks like the LAVA flats isn't even that bad, relative to how it doesn't tile vertically at all and causes tutti-frutti in vanilla.